Ugly

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
Bez

Ugly

Post by Bez »

Today i read a little about this book in the Daily Mail.

Constance Briscoe was a young Black girl who suffered terribly at the hands of her Mother and Step father. She was the 3rd born of 11(?) children. She became one of Englands first Black Judges. The book is on sale from 16th January and I intend to buy it. If anyone else reads it, I would be interested to hear your opinions.

Constance's mother systematically abused her daughter, both physically and emotionally, throughout her childhood. Regularly beaten and starved, the girl was so desperate she took herself off to Social Services and tried to get taken into care. When that failed, she swallowed bleach 'because it kills all known germs and my mother always told me I was a germ'. When Constance was thirteen, her mother simply moved out, leaving her daughter to fend for herself. There was no gas, no electricity and no food. But somehow Constance found the courage to survive her terrible start in life. This is her heartrending - and ultimately triumphant - story.

About the Author

Constance Briscoe practises as a barrister and in 1996 became a part-time judge - one of the first black women to sit as a judge in the UK. She lives in Clapham with her two children, Martin and Francesca. Her partner is Tony Arlidge QC.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
booradley

Ugly

Post by booradley »

I'll keep my eye out for that! thanks, Bez.

It must take amazing strengh of character to overcome a childhood like that.
MzInterpret

Ugly

Post by MzInterpret »

I shall definitely keep an eye out for that.

Thank you!:-6
booradley

Ugly

Post by booradley »

:( just been looking for it...says not yet published. Bah..
Bez

Ugly

Post by Bez »

booradley wrote: :( just been looking for it...says not yet published. Bah..

On sale on the 16th....hard back only until August...
Rapunzel

Ugly

Post by Rapunzel »

Thanks Bez, that looks good! There are a few books like this on the market and they all just break your heart! Worse still are the stories you hear of the poor little mites who don't make it and who are starved and beaten to death. How can people want to do such appalling things to children? I guess one of the good things about our 'Big Brother' society, is that people today CAN interfere and report suspected abuse to the Police or social services! At least its no longer considered to be no-one's business, bar the family involved. Thank God!

A good book I read a while ago was Chinese Cinderella by Adeline Yen Mah. Her mother died giving birth to her, so she was considered "unlucky" by her family. Her whole family, particularly her step-mother, treated her appallingly, yet she managed to survive and became a doctor in the USA. It's an amazing story and a fascinating look into life in Communist China in the 1940s and '50s. I'd highly recommend it!
lady cop

Ugly

Post by lady cop »

i would definately be interested in reading this book Bez. thanks. :)
mominiowa

Ugly

Post by mominiowa »

Sounds like something I would read also......I look forward to going to Barnes and Noble and can be there for hours......LOL Thanks for the heads up!

~~The Family~~

Happiness is knowing where you come from...

Who you are...

And why you are here.....
sheryl_b

Ugly

Post by sheryl_b »

this book would b intrestin 2 read
Bez

Ugly

Post by Bez »

Has anyone read Desert Flower by Waris Dirie...another insprirational true story.?

http://www.time.com/time/europe/magazin ... 18,00.html
Bez

Ugly

Post by Bez »

Bought 'Ugly' yesterday on the way home from work. Will start reading today and let you know what it's like.

You can only get 'hardback ' at the moment which is a pain. More expensive and heavier to carry to and from work...ok...it is 8.10am and I've only been at work half hour...and I don't really want to be here.....and when is the grey weather going to go away ???:-6 :-6 :-6
Bez

Ugly

Post by Bez »

FINISHED !!! A really good book...it will make you angry, but has a happy ending...wooops...maybe you didn't want to know that.

If you shop around you can get it cheaper than the RRP of £12.99 ...mine cost £6.99 from Sussex Stationers.

Return to “The Library”