Dean Koontz

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
actionfigurestepho

Dean Koontz

Post by actionfigurestepho »

I've been reading more Dean Koontz lately because my dad's been pressuring me to. I find the stories are incredibly suspensful, and he can tell a scary story concisely which I am starting to appreciate more, but I am also irritated that in every one of his stories he tries to inject some blatant morality right into the end. It's not the morality I object to, it's that he takes his point and beats you in the head with it. There's no subtext. The only one that didn't irritate me in this way was "The Taking."

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
minks

Dean Koontz

Post by minks »

actionfigurestepho wrote: I've been reading more Dean Koontz lately because my dad's been pressuring me to. I find the stories are incredibly suspensful, and he can tell a scary story concisely which I am starting to appreciate more, but I am also irritated that in every one of his stories he tries to inject some blatant morality right into the end. It's not the morality I object to, it's that he takes his point and beats you in the head with it. There's no subtext. The only one that didn't irritate me in this way was "The Taking."

I like his works, my fave was an oldie "the watchers" Hey are you in recovery as we speak? Or are you a figment of our imaginatio? If recovering how are ya doing?
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
actionfigurestepho

Dean Koontz

Post by actionfigurestepho »

minks wrote: I like his works, my fave was an oldie "the watchers" Hey are you in recovery as we speak? Or are you a figment of our imaginatio? If recovering how are ya doing?
I do remember liking "The Watchers." Actually, I liked "Twilight Eyes" if that was one of his...I'm on a lot of Percoset so some of this stuff is a little weird : )

I think he went through a period where he was really trying to put some sort of social redemption into his paperbacks and just went overboard.

And I'm doing well...more a figment of the internet than a figment of your imagination!
minks

Dean Koontz

Post by minks »

actionfigurestepho wrote: I do remember liking "The Watchers." Actually, I liked "Twilight Eyes" if that was one of his...I'm on a lot of Percoset so some of this stuff is a little weird : )

I think he went through a period where he was really trying to put some sort of social redemption into his paperbacks and just went overboard.

And I'm doing well...more a figment of the internet than a figment of your imagination!

so surgery is done and you are alive this is not a ghost well I am happy to hear it.

I think he always kind of tried for some kind of redemption in all his books but hey if we don't think to deeply into his words they are good reads hehehehe
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
chonsigirl

Dean Koontz

Post by chonsigirl »

So nice to see you back in action, Action!:)
along-for-the-ride

Dean Koontz

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I am currently reading the "Odd Thomas" and "Forever Odd" series. The first book held my attention for the most part and now I am reading the second book. "Forever Odd" does rehash some of the info from "Odd Thomas", but so far, is moving right along. The main character is human and likeable. I, too, don't like philosophy in a story. The characters and how they relate to each other are most important to me. There is suspence here, and the supernatural. Check out these two books by Koontz when you get a chance.

PS. I have been a Stephen King reader for years. I am waiting for something new from him.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
SOJOURNER

Dean Koontz

Post by SOJOURNER »

Koontz & King fans should also read Robert McCammeron. His writing is somewhere between the two. :-6
along-for-the-ride

Dean Koontz

SOJOURNER wrote: Koontz & King fans should also read Robert McCammeron. His writing is somewhere between the two. :-6

Thanks for the tip......I will check him out.:)
SOJOURNER

Dean Koontz

Post by SOJOURNER »

Read Swan Song. It is similiar to The Stand and I liked it better.

Dean Koontz

Post by 911 »

I love them all. Swan Song and The Stand were the best.

Along for the ride, he just released The Colorado Kid a little while back. Not a horror book, more like the old private eye books. I have it but haven't read it yet. The guys who published the book used to own Juno. When they sold out to Netscape they got bored and wanted to do something so they started a publishing company. They asked Stephen King for a blurb on one of their books and he sent them a book instead.

You must read The Store by Bentley Little! You will never look at Walmart the same again. He has some great books for a quick, can't-put-down read.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West

Dean Koontz

Post by 911 »

He's terrific.

The Association is also good but they had made several movies along that line, but, the book is still very good. Actually all his books are good but by far my fav is The Store.

There is another author that I just love but for the life of me I cannot think of his name. He died recently, within the last couple of years. He got started in England although he was American. There wasn't a market for his books then or some problem. He made it big overseas and then came back to US and made it big here. It's hard to get his earlier books as they are out of print here but not in England. Ah, Oh yeah. . . . Richard Laymon, that's it. He's good also.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West

Dean Koontz

Post by 911 »

GREAT!

Let me know how you like them. I've read them all.

Don't you love it when you find a new author that you like and can get his books whenever you want rather than wait for the new ones to come out? I love it when that happens. :D

Happy reading

Mae West
sunny104

Dean Koontz

Post by sunny104 »

I LOVE Dean Koontz! I think I've read just about everything he's written. I love his sense of humor. He does inject some morality into each story but it doesn't bother me, all of his books have happy endings and I think that's just a part that goes along with it.
along-for-the-ride

Dean Koontz

SOJOURNER wrote: Read Swan Song. It is similiar to The Stand and I liked it better.

I am currently reading Swan Song and it is indeed holding my interest. So far, I do like his style. What makes the story so scary is that a similar catastrophe could happen.
along-for-the-ride

Dean Koontz

SOJOURNER wrote: Koontz & King fans should also read Robert McCammeron. His writing is somewhere between the two. :-6

I just finished reading Swan Song and really enjoyed it. Good characterization and great story. Thanks again for the tip. I am now starting on Stephen Kings latest, Cell, which looks to be good too.
Jives

Dean Koontz

Post by Jives »

actionfigurestepho wrote: I've been reading more Dean Koontz lately because my dad's been pressuring me to. I find the stories are incredibly suspensful, and he can tell a scary story concisely which I am starting to appreciate more, but I am also irritated that in every one of his stories he tries to inject some blatant morality right into the end. It's not the morality I object to, it's that he takes his point and beats you in the head with it. There's no subtext. The only one that didn't irritate me in this way was "The Taking."

Me too, Steph! I just read "Life Expectancy" and "Icebound". I've never read any of his stuff before and it was absolutely awesome! He has a ton of books out so I'm really looking forward to a whole Summer of reading!!!!!

I highly recommend him!

What's your favorite so far, steph?
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
sunny104

Dean Koontz

Post by sunny104 »

Jives wrote: Me too, Steph! I just read "Life Expectancy" and "Icebound". I've never read any of his stuff before and it was absolutely awesome! He has a ton of books out so I'm really looking forward to a whole Summer of reading!!!!!

I highly recommend him!

What's your favorite so far, steph?

Jon, check out "Watchers" It's the first one I ever read and my favorite one! (It's probably almost 20 years old by now...)

If you love dogs or even if you don't you will FALL IN LOVE with the Golden Retriever in the story! That book was awesome!

But like I mentioned in an earlier post I love all of his books! :)
abbey

Dean Koontz

Post by abbey »

Where is Steph?

Anybody heard from her, she has'nt been on for ages, hope she's ok.
Accountable

Dean Koontz

Post by Accountable »

I miss Stepho!! :yh_cry
nvalleyvee

Dean Koontz

Post by nvalleyvee »

I love this author................I think there are only 2 or 3 books I have not read. It was the book Whispers that got me interested several decades ago.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
chocoholic

Dean Koontz

Post by chocoholic »

Hi, I'm new to the forum but Dean Koontz is one of my favourite authors. I loved The Watchers and really wanted a dog as cute as the Labrador. I also loved Fear Nothing and Seize the Night.

I think that unlike Stephen King, Dean Koontz has improved over the years, I find that I'm enjoying the later books better that some of the first ones that he wrote, with Stephen King it seems that his original books were stronger that the last few that he has written.
Marie5656

Dean Koontz

Post by Marie5656 »

Hi

I have read many of Koontz's books. I recently finished Odd Thomas, but am not sure I will read Forever Odd, as the first was not a big hit with me personally.

I liked The Taken and Watchers, also. I recently got Fear Nothing, but have not started it yet, so it basically will have to wait in line behind some others I am reading.

I am about to start Stephen King's CELL, and am looking forward to reading it.
Marie5656

Dean Koontz

Post by Marie5656 »

I am now reading one of his from a few years back "From the Corner of His Eye". I should have it finished by the end of the weekend. I am really enjoying it. At first, it took me a bit to get the flow of the story, but now that I am seeing how all the characters lives interconnect, I think it is one of the better books I have read in a long while.

I have been going to the used book room at the local library. Hardcovers for $2 each. Have gotten quite a few of his older books for my collection.

Return to “The Library”