The Sci-Fi Fantasy thread.

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Right, I said I would do this thread, but I'm not entirely sure what it should be about except the obvious. Well its here now anyway, so anything you want to say about such books and writers whether you love them or hate them, fire away.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
actionfigurestepho

Post by actionfigurestepho »

I recently read "The Road to Mars" by Eric Idle. I was floored to see that name in the Sci-Fi section! It was hilarious, although what would you expect coming from a Monty Python writer? I highly recomend it, if you're into humorous robots and intergalactic cruise ships, although not if you're offended by bad language.

My problem with sci-fi is that some of the books are amazing and visual and interesting, and many of them are crap. Can anyone recommend any titles or authors they've read that might be enjoyable? I'd much rather hear personal opinions than read something off a cover.
ComfortablyNumb

Post by ComfortablyNumb »

One of my favourite SF writers is Roger Zelazny. All of his books are entertaining.

He must have one of the most devious minds because his plots are sometimes convoluted.

The Lensman trilogy by EE "doc" Smith is very entertaining. (Now has a few authorised sequels).

Philip K Dick's 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' (movie Bladerunner) is very good reading. In fact his books are always interesting, if variable.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

actionfigurestepho wrote: I recently read "The Road to Mars" by Eric Idle. I was floored to see that name in the Sci-Fi section! It was hilarious, although what would you expect coming from a Monty Python writer? I highly recomend it, if you're into humorous robots and intergalactic cruise ships, although not if you're offended by bad language.

My problem with sci-fi is that some of the books are amazing and visual and interesting, and many of them are crap. Can anyone recommend any titles or authors they've read that might be enjoyable? I'd much rather hear personal opinions than read something off a cover.

Well I would immeadiatley say read any of the "Culture" novels by Iain M. Banks, such as "Use of Weapons", "Excession" or "Consider Phelbas", amazing, amazing books, you should start with "Consider Phelbas" as thats the first and sets up the universe of the "Culture" well. Like the other poster said, Philip K. Dick is always good and his stories are well known because of the films they have made out of them. Also in terms of the old writers I mean Asimov and the Foundation books are great, you just have to skip some of the bad technology predictions, Arthur C. Clark is also great, as is Robert Heinlein, and there are lots of great American guys from the 40s and 50's which is known as the "Golden Age" like Harlan Ellison, Jack Vance and that lot. As for the more recent ones, I really think Banks is in a league of his own, there are some other interesting ones though, like the Hyperion/Endymion series by Simmons, and Hellicona by Brian Aldiss, actually most stuff by Aldiss is very good. So there are some recommendations anyway.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
libertine

Post by libertine »

SnoozeControl wrote: I got to about book 5 of the Amber series and lost track of the characters. Ditto with the Dune series... serious yawn at about book 4.

Apparently some authors find a good character or a good formula and can't write themselves out of it. Many a good Trilogy has been ruined by the fourth book. Orson Scott card did the same thing with his ENDERS series. If he'd stopped with the third book everyone would remember it as an especially good read.

Science fistion was better when Isaac Asimov and Arthur C Clarke and Heinlein were writing because it was more exciting to speculate. We could revel in their imaginations and wonder if that time would ever come. Now that it has, authors are hard pressed to write hard-science fiction and resort to fantasy, which is o.k. in its place, but shouldn't be confused with sci-fi:-2

Return to “The Library”