Books selected, but not yet read........

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
SOJOURNER

Post by SOJOURNER »

Most avid readers know what they are going to read after they finish their current book and some of us know what our next several books will/might be.................

The following books have been purchased by me, but I have not yet read them:

The Sunday Philosophy Club - Alexander McCall Smith

The Prison Angel (Mother Antonia's journey from Beverly Hills to a life of service in a Mexican jail) - Mary Jordan & Kevin Sullivan

Incubus Dreams (an Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter novel) - Laurell K. Hamilton

The Professor and the Madman (A tale of murder, insanity, and the making of the Oxford English Dictionary) - Simon Winchester

What books are in your plans to read next?
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

my tactic...read the sunday book reviews. put in a reserve/request for purchase to library next day. read the new book for free before anyone else. :D i used to buy hardcovers, won't spend those prices anymore.
Annie Mouse

Post by Annie Mouse »

SOJOURNER wrote: Most avid readers know what they are going to read after they finish their current book and some of us know what our next several books will/might be.................

The following books have been purchased by me, but I have not yet read them:

Incubus Dreams (an Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter novel) - Laurell K. Hamilton

It was better than that mess Narcissis in Chains :yh_bye but it still wasn't all that good.
Annie Mouse

Post by Annie Mouse »

SnoozeControl wrote: I was about to post that your reading material is way too cerebral for me until I saw the Laurell Hamilton entry. Anita Blake... that woman would be a hunk of steaming meat, the way she's been beat up. Yet she manages to f*ck every inhuman being in her literary world. I HATE her! And that stupid werewolf boyfriend? Get a hair cut!

Grrr

Richard DID get a hair cut. So you're either a Micah fan or a Jean-Claude fan. Which is it?
Annie Mouse

Post by Annie Mouse »

SnoozeControl wrote: I'm just a tad out of date... last book I read, I ended up throwing against the wall. Why oh why do I put myself through this? Who's she f*cking now?

The more appropriate question would be who is she NOT :-5 But the answer to your question is 'everything'.
Annie Mouse

Post by Annie Mouse »

Anita's not 'beautiful' - more 'girl next door pretty' :p

And yeah, Richard got a haircut, damnit. I didn't like the whiney thing, but at least he had long hair :-1
Annie Mouse

Post by Annie Mouse »

Oh yeah, LKH overdoes the 'foamy' thing. And have you noticed that everything 'spills'? Lace, hair, string, hands - doesn't matter, it spills. :wah:
Annie Mouse

Post by Annie Mouse »

The Merry Gentry books are worse than the Anita books.
Annie Mouse

Post by Annie Mouse »

SOJOURNER wrote: Most avid readers know what they are going to read after they finish their current book and some of us know what our next several books will/might be.................

What books are in your plans to read next?

I've been reading the Hard Case Crime series and have one on hand that I haven't read yet, Donald Westlake's 361.

These books are classic revenge noir, written by some of the most gifted authors past and present. Great 'pulp' cover art, too.

Check here for more information.
Annie Mouse

Post by Annie Mouse »

Me, too. Andrew Vachss is my all-time favorite author.

Check out some of the Hard Case Crime books, especially the Lawrence Block ones. They're all really good.
Annie Mouse

Post by Annie Mouse »

He's another of my favorite authors. I just love the Matt Scudder series. Have you read 'Small Town'?
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

SnoozeControl wrote: Oh! I'd have sex with Lawence Blocks! I love that man.

That is very admirable snooze, but you may be confusing writing ability with bed-smarts there.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Annie Mouse

Post by Annie Mouse »

Galbally wrote: That is very admirable snooze, but you may be confusing writing ability with bed-smarts there.

No, she's not. Go read "Small Town" ;)
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Okay someone suggest a book (and not some god-awful vampire book) for me to read so we can argue about it afterwards. Perhaps we should by popular consensus all agree to read a book by a certain date and then tear each other apart about whether its any good. Actually forget about the vampire comment, some horror books are OK, just something reasonbly short and of general interest to everyone. What do people think of that idea? Its like a cyber book club I suppose.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

SnoozeControl wrote: Well, since it's all imaginary, does that really matter?

Of course not Snooze, I have fantasies about J.K. Rowling all the time! I'd hogwart her dumbledore any day she likes.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Annie Mouse

Post by Annie Mouse »

Galbally wrote: Okay someone suggest a book (and not some god-awful vampire book) for me to read so we can argue about it afterwards. Perhaps we should by popular consensus all agree to read a book by a certain date and then tear each other apart about whether its any good. Actually forget about the vampire comment, some horror books are OK, just something reasonbly short and of general interest to everyone. What do people think of that idea? Its like a cyber book club I suppose.

OK, how about 'Howls Moving Castle' by Diane Wynne Jones? Or 'In The Cut' by Susannah Moore?

Or 'Small Town' by Lawrence Block?
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

SnoozeControl wrote: I think you're rather a snob!

Seriously, I'll read nearly anything... name the time.

No, no, I like harry potter, she was just the first female author that popped into my head that wasn't dead or geriatric. I don't know what to pick thou cause I'm not that good with modern fiction, so I thought you or someone else could make a more popular selection than me.

As for being a slut, my lips shall remained sealed.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Or 'Small Town' by Lawrence Block?

OK, that sounds interesting as I've alredy managed to annoy snooze without even reading it so it may lead to some interesting debates.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Annie Mouse

Post by Annie Mouse »

Galbally wrote: Or 'Small Town' by Lawrence Block?

OK, that sounds interesting as I've alredy managed to annoy snooze without even reading it so it may lead to some interesting debates.

It's an excellent book - set in New York right after the World Trade Center Towers came down.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Annie Mouse wrote: It's an excellent book - set in New York right after the World Trade Center Towers came down.

Oh right, I can see where the sex thing is coming in now. Sounds interesting, well I'll give it a go, pick a date, I have to find it first thou, to have it read by and I will tell you what I think, but it would be great if other people (i.e. snooze) were interested in it, as then we could have some proper arguments.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Annie Mouse

Post by Annie Mouse »

amazon.com carries it.

And I think the 'sex thing' will surprise you.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Annie Mouse wrote: amazon.com carries it.

And I think the 'sex thing' will surprise you.

Perhaps, thou I'm neither easily shocked or underwhelmed when it comes to human sexual behaviour anymore. Though perhaps that isn't what you meant. Anyway, there's only one way to find out I guess.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Annie Mouse

Post by Annie Mouse »

*looks smug*

Let me know when you have the book. I think Snooze will be interested in reading it, if she hasn't already.
Robin313

Post by Robin313 »

I'm reading "Flatland" by Edwin A. Abott, and will be reading the sequel Flatterland" by Ian Stewart next. So there.Anyone read Attwoods most recent effort? lets be careful out there.
The Rob

Post by The Rob »

I have Me Talk Pretty One Day waiting in my nightstand, but A Season in Purgatory is in there too. My intentions are so often derailed. I'm a slut for a tarted-up book jacket and/or a well-turned synopsis. Ah me.

Edit: A smiley is interpreted as a url and as such I can't use one until I have fifteen posts, uh, posted. This sort of bites in a gnawing way, but perhaps it'll ween me from using the silly things.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

For a year now, I have had Paul Anderson's Hunger's Brides waiting for me. It's 1323 pages long not including afternotes. I admit I bought it partly because it seemed a little daunting and partly because the title intrigued me. I understand it's a popular book. I don't usually read novels.
SOJOURNER

Post by SOJOURNER »

RedGlitter;525208 wrote: For a year now, I have had Paul Anderson's Hunger's Brides waiting for me. It's 1323 pages long not including afternotes. I admit I bought it partly because it seemed a little daunting and partly because the title intrigued me. I understand it's a popular book. I don't usually read novels.

I'm not familar with this book. What's it about?

Return to “The Library”