Books, Books, Books.

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
Alfred

Books, Books, Books.

Post by Alfred »

this is a rather pointless piece of information but i still find it monumental for me.

i'm reading a book called analytical & experimental physics, and some of it is actually sticking. :-2
chonsigirl

Books, Books, Books.

Post by chonsigirl »

Well it should stick! You love that stuff.

I am reading Ouspensky's The Fourth Way, an unusual read for me.
Galbally

Books, Books, Books.

Post by Galbally »

I'm currently reading a book called "Why the West has Won." its a military history book, its very interesting.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
chonsigirl

Books, Books, Books.

Post by chonsigirl »

Galbally wrote: I'm currently reading a book called "Why the West has Won." its a military history book, its very interesting.
Who wrote it, Galbally?

How do the Native Americans turn out in it?
Lil~Basco

Books, Books, Books.

Post by Lil~Basco »

I'm reading the book "Why Do Men Have Nipples," by Mark Leyner and Billy Goldberg. Hundeds of questions you'd only ask a doctor after your third martini. Very enlightening, to say the least. :wah:
SOJOURNER

Books, Books, Books.

Post by SOJOURNER »

Lil~Basco wrote: I'm reading the book "Why Do Men Have Nipples," by Mark Leyner and Billy Goldberg. Hundeds of questions you'd only ask a doctor after your third martini. Very enlightening, to say the least. :wah:
Do you have the answer yet?

Do share!
Yavanna

Books, Books, Books.

Post by Yavanna »

Men have nipples to torture them with the thought that they once had a nice pair of breasts of their very own........:p
theia

Books, Books, Books.

Post by theia »

Finding Meaning in the Second Half of Life by James Hollis. He's a Jungian analyst and he writes so lucidly and wisely about making our lives meaningful and finding out about the complexes that interfere with our living.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Galbally

Books, Books, Books.

Post by Galbally »

chonsigirl wrote: Who wrote it, Galbally?

How do the Native Americans turn out in it?

Damn, I just gave it too someone to read, I can't remember his name but he is from California and a military historian. The book was actually brilliant, it went from the battle of Salamis circa 370 B.C. to the Tet offensive in 1968 and outlined the reasons why the author believes that Western armies have always (in general) defeated either Asian, African, or American counterparts in military struggles or when it has been defeated it is always in somewhere that is not the west by armies using Western tactics and weapons. This is the reason he cites with making the Western world the predominant military, economic, and cultural power in the world. Its a very interesting book, and even if you don't share that point of view it makes for thought provoking reading.

Unfortunatly for the native Americans, they get a right hammering off the white boys
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
SOJOURNER

Books, Books, Books.

Post by SOJOURNER »

Galbally wrote: Damn, I just gave it too someone to read, I can't remember his name but he is from California and a military historian. The book was actually brilliant, it went from the battle of Salamis circa 370 B.C. to the Tet offensive in 1968 and outlined the reasons why the author believes that Western armies have always (in general) defeated either Asian, African, or American counterparts in military struggles or when it has been defeated it is always in somewhere that is not the west by armies using Western tactics and weapons. This is the reason he cites with making the Western world the predominant military, economic, and cultural power in the world. Its a very interesting book, and even if you don't share that point of view it makes for thought provoking reading.

Unfortunatly for the native Americans, they get a right hammering off the white boys
Was it Davis Hanson?
MzInterpret

Books, Books, Books.

Post by MzInterpret »

I enjoy James Patterson, Jeffery Deaver (I can't get enough of him), Patricia Cornwell (only the Kay Scarpetta series), Marilyn Keyes (chick literature, but she is ever so funny)

But lately I discovered Jodi Picoult and I am ploughing through her books at an alarming rate. I love crime and so it is a surprise that I enjoy an author who writes more about the human aspect.

For me her best novel so far (and they are all outstanding) is My Sister's Keeper.

In My Sister's Keeper, Anna Fitzgerald was conceived and born so that she could provide genetically compatible body fluids and parts for her older sister, Kate, who suffers from leukemia. When Kate is 16 and Anna is 13, Kate needs a kidney transplant and Anna balks at giving up one of hers. She hires a lawyer to petition for medical emancipation from her parents, so that she alone can make decisions about her body. It's a decision that threatens to tear the family apart, from her mother who gave up a law practice to be a stay-at-home mom, an older brother who feels left out, and her father who wavers between choosing sides.

(Read an exerpt here)
Sheryl

Books, Books, Books.

Post by Sheryl »

I'm also a avid reader. Some of my favorite authors are Maeve Binchy (Circle of Friends one of my absolute favorite books), Nora Roberts, Judy Blume arghh can't name them all.

At this moment I'm slowly reading "My Ishmael" by Danial Quin.

My bookshelves look like they belong to a nuerotic person. Have everything from books for dummys to the Inferno by Dante.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
SOJOURNER

Books, Books, Books.

Post by SOJOURNER »

Sheryl wrote: I'm also a avid reader. Some of my favorite authors are Maeve Binchy (Circle of Friends one of my absolute favorite books), Nora Roberts, Judy Blume arghh can't name them all.

At this moment I'm slowly reading "My Ishmael" by Danial Quin.

My bookshelves look like they belong to a nuerotic person. Have everything from books for dummys to the Inferno by Dante.

I really like 'My Ishmael'. :-6
chonsigirl

Books, Books, Books.

Post by chonsigirl »

I just finished Grisham's The Broker, and it was pretty good.
joker1662

Books, Books, Books.

Post by joker1662 »

:guitarist whats up im a literary guy from columbus oh who is new to this sort of thing and was wondering if any one had information on the british poet john skeltor?:-5
chonsigirl

Books, Books, Books.

Post by chonsigirl »

Hello joker, wlecome to FG.:)
joker1662

Books, Books, Books.

Post by joker1662 »

maybe skelton?:-5 :-5 :guitarist :confused: i am likin' da smilies
joker1662

Books, Books, Books.

Post by joker1662 »

wassup chosingirl:-6 im at osu right now listening to da rolling stones
joker1662

Books, Books, Books.

Post by joker1662 »

is there anybody else on here?:confused:
chonsigirl

Books, Books, Books.

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, a very good school!

And the Rolling Stones always Rock!
joker1662

Books, Books, Books.

Post by joker1662 »

is there anybody out there....?:confused:
joker1662

Books, Books, Books.

Post by joker1662 »

go bucks:guitarist michigan sux:-5
joker1662

Books, Books, Books.

Post by joker1662 »

im listening to let it bleed. its one of my favorite disc!!!:guitarist :-5 :-4
joker1662

Books, Books, Books.

Post by joker1662 »

i :-4 da stones...fred and barney rule:D
chonsigirl

Books, Books, Books.

Post by chonsigirl »

Don't forget Pebbles now!:)
jenmac

Books, Books, Books.

Post by jenmac »

Hi Mr Irishman and various American friends who love books

like the sound of non fiction on SERIOUS :thinking: subjects which are well written!! like the sound of the oil book!!

My main problem is finding characters which I like - very few books even WONDERFUL ones have characters I could LIVE WITH :wah: Except No1 Ladies Detective Agency's Mama Ramotswe, and Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird (where is that man - I'll marry him!!):-4
chonsigirl

Books, Books, Books.

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, many wonderful characters in books.

Hector in the Iliad.

Sherlock Holmes.

Allan Quartermain.

A million and one characters, and more still to be written.
joker1662

Books, Books, Books.

Post by joker1662 »

im reading the faerie queen in eng 201 right now. bleeaaachh!!!:mad: :confused:
Thanh

Books, Books, Books.

Post by Thanh »

My fav authors: Gabriel García Marquéz and George Orwell.
Hazel

Books, Books, Books.

Post by Hazel »

I usually read Koontz, King, Hutson, McCammon, but lately ive been wanting to try other things, so at the moment im reading A Lesser Evil by Lesley Pearse. Its turning out to be more horrible than the horrors!! A good read though, and she has 6 or 7 other books too, i love it when you find a new author that you like :D
"Before criticising someone, always walk a mile in their shoes. That way, if they get angry or violent, they are a mile away and haven't got any shoes."

Return to “The Library”