About damn time!

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
SOJOURNER

About damn time!

Post by SOJOURNER »

SnoozeControl wrote: I try so hard not to get into book series unless they're complete and I don't have to wait for the next book to be published. But I started a series by George R. R. Martin several years ago, and I've been waiting THREE YEARS for the release of the final book. Did I mention I've been waiting THREE YEARS!

It should be here tomorrow. :D Woo hoo!

What's the series?

What's it about?
venus

About damn time!

Post by venus »

I know l hate that in a series of books.

Always waiting for the next one, have passed this on to my son, he goes nuts waiting for the next Harry Potter etc..:wah:
take a bite out of life it's there to be tasted!!
grooboggle

About damn time!

Post by grooboggle »

Isn't this the book thats so long they are splittling it into two parts? Martin is a great writer but he takes so damn long to finish a book you have to reread the whole series to remember whats going on. Kinda like the new Jordan book been reading the series for so long I am obligated to continue. Have to dig up Game of thrones to catch myself up before embarking on Martin again. I do like how in his novels main characters die or have truly tragic events occur to them instead of simply all the good guys sailing through. Hope you enjoy the book.
sherry

About damn time!

Post by sherry »

This sounds good. Let us know what you think of it. Has he writen many book?
sherry

About damn time!

Post by sherry »

I must admit to loving LOTR but I'm willing to try anything. There's nothing so frustrating than getting a book and having high expectations and being bitterly disappointed with it.
Galbally

About damn time!

Post by Galbally »

Okay, just give us some book titles by this guy Martin and I will have a go, though I have a friend who is a fantasy nut and I have already promised her I will read about 36 different fantasy books, so it may take me a while.

I will recommend for sci fi and fantasy people.

The Lyonesse Trilogy, by Jack Vance, Great.

The Mirror of Her Dreams and A Man Rides Through, by your man who wrote the Thomas Covenant ones, these are much better.

The Helliconia series by Brian Aldiss, brilliant.

And most seriously all of the "Culture" novels by Iain M. Banks, they are breathtakingly good, decades ahead of everyone else, if you have not read these already, you must, you absolutely must.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Galbally

About damn time!

Post by Galbally »

SnoozeControl wrote: Wow, I'm surprised you liked The Mirror of her Dreams and A Man Rides Through. I loved them, but I also thought they were wildly romantic.:-4 There's more to you than meets the eye, my pretty.

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1)

From Publishers Weekly

In a world where the approaching winter will last four decades, kings and queens, knights and renegades struggle for control of a throne. Some fight with sword and mace, others with magic and poison. Beyond the Wall to the north, meanwhile, the Others are preparing their army of the dead to march south as the warmth of summer drains from the land. After more than a decade devoted primarily to TV and screen work, Martin (The Armageddon Rag, 1983) makes a triumphant return to high fantasy with this extraordinarily rich new novel, the first of a trilogy. (Ha! He's working on the fifth one of the series.) Although conventional in form, the book stands out from similar work by Eddings, Brooks and others by virtue of its superbly developed characters, accomplished prose and sheer bloody-mindedness. Although the romance of chivalry is central to the culture of the Seven Kingdoms, and tournaments, derring-do and handsome knights abound, these trappings merely give cover to dangerous men and women who will stop at nothing to achieve their goals. When Lord Stark of Winterfell, an honest man, comes south to act as the King's chief councilor, no amount of heroism or good intentions can keep the realm under control. It is fascinating to watch Martin's characters mature and grow, particularly Stark's children, who stand at the center of the book. Martin's trophy case is already stuffed with major prizes, including Hugos, Nebulas, Locus Awards and a Bram Stoker. He's probably going to have to add another shelf, at least. Major ad/promo.

Right, I will get someone to get it for me for Christmas, and I will let you know. As for the Stephen Donaldson books, yes, I did like them, and I fancied the arse off her (though I can't remember her name), and I do have a romantic side, like all men, after all, Wuthering Heights is one of my favorite books, but the main reason I chose them is that they are very good examples of well written, intelligent and engaging fantasy, with a sexy chick in em!, so I'll leave you with that.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

About damn time!

Post by Galbally »

Oh and I must also give a mention to a wonderful book by Ursula Le Guin, its called "The Dispossessed" a Sci Fi classic, warm, intelligent, funny, sad, moving, excellent, she is a great writer.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

About damn time!

Post by Galbally »

Actually I must also give a mention to the Hyperion Series by Dan Simmons, also very good kindof horror/sci Fi with religious themes, oh and a cameo by the poet John Keats of "Here Lies One Whose Name was Writ in Water" fame. Very good indeed. Perhaps I should start a Sci-Fi fantasy thread as a lot of people seem into that stuff here, including me, though I'm more sci-fi I have to say. Well any ideas?

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
LilacDragon

About damn time!

Post by LilacDragon »

OK, I am a huge Melanie Rawn fan. About 8 years ago I bought a pair of books - Exiles, volumes one and two. I do try to buy book series all at one time so that I don't have to wait the rest of my life for the next installment. But alas, here it is 8 years later and I am still patiently awaiting book number 3! My daughters and I have read the books so many times that they have had to be replaced and still no conclusion because book number 3 isn't out yet!
Sandi

Yavanna

About damn time!

Post by Yavanna »

Snoozecontrol, an American friend of mine keeps raving about the Song of Fire and Ice series.

To get me started in terms of whether I liked George Martin's style, I read The Dream of the Fevre, or something (about a boat in deep south). It kind of got boring - but that may be because I didn't find the subject matter that interesting.

My pal says that what he really loves about his writing is the characterisation and the fact that he doesn't hesitate to kill off a much-loved character if it helps his plot.

Ursula Le Guin's A Wizard of Earthsea books are well-written if you like magical fantasy.

Although nothing compares to LOTR of course :D
Yavanna

About damn time!

Post by Yavanna »

So, which is the first book in the series, please? I need some good reading material over Christmas....

Return to “The Library”