America is Shutting Down

spot

America is Shutting Down

Post by spot »

Snooz;1532190 wrote: Michigan has armed militia protesting the governor and her stay-at home order, it's quite a sight. I'd post the photo but I can't seem to get it to work.

manage attachments

browse your local drive

upload the photo

right-click the resulting image hyperlink, copy link location

close attachment window

then add IMG in square brackets, paste the location, and /IMG in square brackets

That gets the photo into a post

There used to be an easier way but I can't remember it and it no longer works, probably because the server directory permissions are wrong.

On the protestors who gathered around the country and flouted distancing measures, Trump said, “They seem to be very responsible people to me.”

Demonstrations against stay-at-home orders, which have drawn elements of the far right, have been held in Michigan, Ohio, North Carolina and Virginia. Some protesters have carried guns, waved Trump and Confederate flags and sought to frame the debate as a defence of constitutional freedoms.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... ear-145000

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

America is Shutting Down

Post by LarsMac »

And, The Donald spent the day egging these bozos on.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

America is Shutting Down

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1532192 wrote: And, The Donald spent the day egging these bozos on.

You will concede that he is seeking re-election this year, and the bozos are his natural-born supporters?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
magentaflame

America is Shutting Down

Post by magentaflame »

Let them congregate. If that's how they want to clean the bottom end of the gene pool with the creepy crawly, let them do it.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

America is Shutting Down

Post by spot »

There's an extrapolation in the UK, the largest by a long way, suggesting around 5% of the population has now been infected with Covid-19: https://covid.joinzoe.com/ and another in California producing similar infection totals: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ly-thought

That's quite hopeful but it does suggest that all this talk of a UK death total for the current wave around 40,000 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-52 ... -this-wave leaves unaddressed the problem of further infections. They do say further significant waves would add to the toll, but so would a high endemic background for a year. Expecting the current peak to drop to a low background fairly quickly and for infections to then be held low until a successful vaccination program is complete might be insubstantial optimism on both counts

If we do end up with most people infected before the mass vaccinations are complete then a UK estimate of around 120,000 deaths seems aligned with the two studies. Translated into US terms, the California estimate would lead to around a half million American deaths. I'm not sure what grounds there are at the moment for believing most people won't get infected by then.

Those figures are far lower than were being considered a couple of weeks ago, before these surprisingly high estimates of the numbers already infected were put forward. I'm not sure either of our respective governments could describe the outcome as a success, but they're a lot less bad.
magentaflame

America is Shutting Down

Post by magentaflame »

America astounds me sometimes. Everyone was livid when 3000 died in a terrorist attack but now you have 65,000 dead and there's a white supremesist protest?

I see some governors are standing up to Tramp but the vast majority of the people are on some weird trip of conspiracy. Is nobody seeing the bodies everywhere?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
LarsMac

America is Shutting Down

Post by LarsMac »

magentaflame;1532216 wrote: America astounds me sometimes. Everyone was livid when 3000 died in a terrorist attack but now you have 65,000 dead and there's a white supremesist protest?

I see some governors are standing up to Tramp but the vast majority of the people are on some weird trip of conspiracy. Is nobody seeing the bodies everywhere?

No, no. The vast majority of us are simply hunkering down, and trying to keep our fellow Americans, and everybody else, safe through this mess.

Those loonie Toons are not "the vast majority"
- DH Lawrence
spot

America is Shutting Down

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1532220 wrote: Those loonie Toons are not "the vast majority"

Makes you wonder who exactly voted for the current President then.
LarsMac

America is Shutting Down

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1532226 wrote: Makes you wonder who exactly voted for the current President then.

The current Buffoon, er,...,a, President was not elected by a vast majority of the citizens of the US.

In fact, he was not elected by any sort of majority. less than 63 million people - approximately 48% of the votes cast - voted for him.

and all the votes cast equaled approximately 40% of the total population.

So, the vast majority of Americans did NOT vote for him.

Of course, the vast majority of Americans did not vote for his opponents, either.

[sigh]
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

America is Shutting Down

Post by G#Gill »

To see the American pratts marching and shouting for the 'lock down' to be lifted just is so unbelievable to me. Are Americans totally ignorant. Did they not actually go to school. If they did go to school did they actually LEARN anything ?

They obviously can't work out that if the 'lock down' is removed and it allows for a free-for-all in the streets and parks, that this terrible bug will just be allowed to run rampant amongst the human population. IT WILL KILL HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE.

I'm hoping that our Government will remain steadfast in their resolve to retain our 'lock down' and not be tempted by the financial side of our business world to allow a certain amount of 'free access' in order to'save'our economy.. The thing is, what is the point of saving our economy if there are thousands and thousands of people DEAD and consequently unable to purchase goods or services ?

Common sense must prevail. With effort, our economy can be saved after this pandemic has been got rid of. Hopefully by next year we could have a vaccine against Conovid 19, so that the human race can survive. If the 'lock down' is lifted too soon in America and UK, the Conovid 19 virus will return with a vengeance. The human race may never recover if that should happen.

It is such a pity that there are so many disbelieving people, both American and British. I find it totally unreal that so many people cannot understand what could easily happen if the 'lock down' is lifted to any degree.

I just hope that I will live long enough to see the world has developed some common sense.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
spot

America is Shutting Down

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1532229 wrote:

They obviously can't work out that if the 'lock down' is removed and it allows for a free-for-all in the streets and parks, that this terrible bug will just be allowed to run rampant amongst the human population. IT WILL KILL HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE.

Well yes, Gill. I think their insistence is that the loss of hundreds of thousands of people, in a nation of 320 million people, is less distressing than a lockdown would be. To a large extent I agree with them, I think the lockdown and the consequent damage to the world economy is a worse outcome than the deaths, but it's far too late now to change the government approach in the UK. As for America, it's ungovernable.

What's fairly obvious is that the world total of deaths from this outbreak isn't going to be much affected by the lockdowns in those countries which achieve one. The human race will clearly survive it, with or without a lockdown, just as it did the rather worse Spanish Influenza outbreak a hundred years ago.

Here you are, this is authentic journalism from Fergus Walsh today:

“Early on, I tried not to alarm people: coronavirus is mild for most. I emphasised that 99 out of 100 people will survive it. But when millions of people are affected, the small minority who die becomes a huge number. The tone has had to change. When it comes to language, I agonise over every sentence I write. I have used military metaphors. I do think we are in a war against the virus; the ICUs are the frontline in that war. But I don’t think fights should be assigned to people. If someone dies, they haven’t lost a battle, they’ve been killed by a disease.”

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/ ... what-i-saw

LarsMac

America is Shutting Down

Post by LarsMac »

G#Gill;1532229 wrote: ...

I just hope that I will live long enough to see the world has developed some common sense.

I am not sure ANY of us can expect to live that long, Gill
- DH Lawrence
Patsy Warnick

America is Shutting Down

Post by Patsy Warnick »

American have a habit of over indulging - living beyond their means.

Do you think during our lockdown that any of them down sized? For instance cancel insurance on the camping trailer or ATV -cancel the sports package on your TV since there's NO sports. NO.. Now their acyclic finger nails are shot - their hair extensions are out - he's listening to her complaining - there's no money coming in and now here's the desperation.

Protesting to go back to work - jeopardize the work that's been done to stop the spread.

Why can't "they" respect me & my position on lockdown - instead of enforcing me to deal with their logic? or lack of ?

Spoiled brats want to keep their life style - well sister things have changed and I'd like to survive this.

Patsy
LarsMac

America is Shutting Down

Post by LarsMac »

I am not sure that I care if I survive it or not. But, I don't want to be the cause of someone else not making it.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

America is Shutting Down

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1531915 wrote: That's an interesting article, well worth finding and passing on.

I would not like to be in the first testing cohort for whatever preventative they come up with. I'm not sure how confident anyone would feel about the effects a couple of years or decades down the line either.

What I'd quite like are some antibodies. Didn't medics of the past abstract antibodies from the blood of survivors, and pass them on to uninfected communities?

Two weeks on they’ve read your post and decided to give it a go :-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52348368
LarsMac

America is Shutting Down

Post by LarsMac »

We have a a survivor who was a recipient of such a process here in Colorado.

It seems we will see more of that in the near future.

It may prove useful as a cure for extremely ill patients.

We still have a long way to go, it seems, for a preventative measure.

Meanwhile, The protester/whiners were out in force in Denver, today.

The highlight of the day, though, was a number of Nurses came out to counter-protest.

Denver nurses block lockdown protesters

And one of the workers at the local meat-packing plant was released from the hospital today.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

America is Shutting Down

Post by gmc »

Patsy Warnick;1532243 wrote: American have a habit of over indulging - living beyond their means.

Do you think during our lockdown that any of them down sized? For instance cancel insurance on the camping trailer or ATV -cancel the sports package on your TV since there's NO sports. NO.. Now their acyclic finger nails are shot - their hair extensions are out - he's listening to her complaining - there's no money coming in and now here's the desperation.

Protesting to go back to work - jeopardize the work that's been done to stop the spread.

Why can't "they" respect me & my position on lockdown - instead of enforcing me to deal with their logic? or lack of ?

Spoiled brats want to keep their life style - well sister things have changed and I'd like to survive this.

Patsy

They obviously believethey are somehow immune or genuinely believe it is a hoax. Methinks they shoud all. be asked top sign a pledge that if they do become sick they will not go to hospital and/or refuse to accept the use of a ventilator so that someone else can be saved in their place.

If only these clowns were just a risk to themselves

https://www.indy100.com/article/protest ... rs-9473701

The clowns that are shouting at these two nurses would probably be tye very first to demand they receive attention if they are ill or have an accident.
LarsMac

America is Shutting Down

Post by LarsMac »

Colorado (and probably a few other states) are doing something right.

The count of hospitalized patients has remained fairly stable for a couple of weeks now.

we have also had very few new fatalities in the last week.

Were I the governor, I would extend the "stay at home" order(Which currently expires april 27) another week or two. I suspect that the noisy bunch of protesters will complicate the plan.

His other option is to announce modified restrictions.

However this all turns out, things will be different around here for a long time to come.

I plan to stay at home a lot, and avoid those morons. But then, that is not really all that new a strategy for me.
- DH Lawrence
Patsy Warnick

America is Shutting Down

Post by Patsy Warnick »

We have our Protestors on the steps of the capitol. I'm sure every state is experiencing Protestors. Hundreds of our protesters are not wearing masks - screaming your safe..!

Shame on Trump for not using his authority to continue the lockdown and leaving the Reopening decision up to the Governor's - this is so Trump has some one to blame when the Reopening doesn't work.

Patsy
LarsMac

America is Shutting Down

Post by LarsMac »

I dug out my old Capt Beefheart and Mothers of Invention albums today.

Seems the only music fitting for the times.
- DH Lawrence
spot

America is Shutting Down

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1532260 wrote: I dug out my old Capt Beefheart and Mothers of Invention albums today.

Seems the only music fitting for the times.

I played Hot Rats to the boy several times last week, he was properly impressed.
spot

America is Shutting Down

Post by spot »

Just to keep tabs, the US and UK both settled into an identical pattern at the start of April and we've had three weeks with a matching daily confirmed case count per million residents, it's the same number for both countries and it's not risen or fallen, it's static at around 90 confirmed cases per day per million and in both countries it's the highest it has reached. Neither country has so far seen any reduction from a peak period average.

I would expect any relaxation of any lockdown rule to follow a reduction in that figure, at least at a state or country level. Relaxing before it first moves down is just inviting the number to rise.
Hope6

America is Shutting Down

Post by Hope6 »

Snooz;1532103 wrote: That's because you're normal and sane.

Thank you for that Snooz. Actually my son and I took communion on Easter Sunday along with a preacher on TV he said just get some juice and bread and do it along with him.

I heard that there was one preacher that said that this virus was the devils way of keeping God's people separate from each other. My mom who is about as religious as you are gonna find even said that's ridiculous.
Hope6

America is Shutting Down

Post by Hope6 »

LarsMac;1532109 wrote: Yeah! What Snooz said.

There are still sane conservatives out there.

Thank you too Lars. Actually there are quite a few of us out here! :)
Hope6

America is Shutting Down

Post by Hope6 »

Patsy Warnick;1532154 wrote: We've jumped to 3965 confirmed cases & 142 deaths.

I just checked on my neighbors - delivered spaghetti dinners to them - I hang the dinner on their door knobs & ring their bell & back off.

Wasn't there a tradition for May Day - deliver flowers - ring the bell & run? I'm sure no one does that anymore.

Anyone receive the stimulus check? We received ours.

Stay safe

Patsy

We got our a few days ago Patsy.

I have had someone say that only people who lost their jobs our something deserved one. So basically they were saying that since my husband works at the hospital and didn't lose his job that we didn't deserve to get one. I figure that the medical workers deserve hazzard pay anyway.
Hope6

America is Shutting Down

Post by Hope6 »

I've just got to say, these people out there protesting are a bunch of dumbells!

I was watching the news this morning and they were saying thousands of grocery store workers around the country are getting sick because people are not wearing masks and they are not respecting the 6 ft distance and they are making these people sick!
FourPart

America is Shutting Down

Post by FourPart »

Pastors who have been defing the closure orders are dropping all over the place. Wherever there's been a mass protest against Lockdown, there's a peak in cases in that local area. Once they open everywhere to mas gatherings it'll spiral more & more. The ones who are most likely to be affected are going to be the Trumpists. Best way to get the Democrats voted in. Eliminate the Opposition.
LarsMac

America is Shutting Down

Post by LarsMac »

Hope6;1532268 wrote: We got our a few days ago Patsy.

I have had someone say that only people who lost their jobs our something deserved one. So basically they were saying that since my husband works at the hospital and didn't lose his job that we didn't deserve to get one. I figure that the medical workers deserve hazzard pay anyway.

Well, whoever said that is not paying attention.

The point of the checks is not to make up for lost revenue, so much as to pump a little cash back in the system.

1200 bucks certainly does not help anyone who lost their job all that much. But it will trickle back up the food chain and end up in the pockets of the corporate suckers.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

America is Shutting Down

Post by LarsMac »

An interesting point of view, and the author helps to clear up some of the thinking associated with the lock down and such.

Bitten by the cobra effect

By Stewart Sallo - April 16, 2020

"On March 23, during one of his daily reelection campaign rallies, aka Coronavirus Task Force press briefings, Donald Trump stated, “We can’t have the cure be worse than the problem.” At the time this statement was made, there were just 556 reported COVID-19 deaths in the U.S., and Trump’s politically motivated calculation was that the “cure” of social distancing would prove to be worse than the “problem” of a crashing stock market, high unemployment and an economic recession that could mortally wound his reelection prospects.

..."

I can't speak to the veracity of the story about the Cobra Effect or Cobra management in India, but the logic behind the anecdote certainly seems to hold.

And the logic behind the shutdown holds, as well.

When confronted with a crisis, there is much good advice behind the logic to begin dealing with it by making the first step to just STOP!!

Stop what you are doing and assess the situation. Let things settle down into what is going on without you adding to the problem. Local governments all over the world did that. and began coming up with ways to limit the spread of the virus. Other governments saw what was working and tried to copy what seemed to work.

We have now collected solid evidence that stopping much of our normal activity helped slow the spread of this bug.

OK. Now what?

The main thing that will ultimately "save civilization" from this bug is to develop an immunity to the thing. Many of the protesting nitwits claim that we should just get on with life, and let the immunity develope on its own.

Well, that would likely result in as many as 10 percent of the world population being killed by this bug over the next year. Possibly even higher numbers could be seen as this bug evolves.

It would result in nearly every hospital, clinic and medical facility in the world being overrun with people sick and dying. it would, on its own, virtually bring the economy to its knees.

Sorry, but now is the time for leadership to come up with a better plan.

We can restart "Normal activity" in a slow measured pace that allows people to get back to work with reason.

"Herd immunity" is still the ultimate goal. But, vaccines can assist the development of it, without killing off a tenth or more of the population.

We still need a year or so of modified behavior to get to the point where we can see an effective vaccine.

Mr Sallo covers much more on that, even suggestion a rather extreme measure of tracking who's got it and who doesn't. But again, it boils down to Herd Immunity:

"Given that herd immunity requires a minimum of 60% of the population to become exposed to and recover from the virus, it is likely that most of us are going to fall prey to it. The good news is that for the vast majority who are not in the high-risk category — the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions — the recovery rate is upwards of 98%, just as it is with influenza and other respiratory illnesses. Therefore, many epidemiologists propose that we redouble our efforts to protect the elderly and immuno-compromised, while preparing the rest of us to contract and fend off this virus.

Which brings me to the subject of masks."

Protecting the vulnerable. That is the piece that we can really work on. We can take measures that will help to assure that we don't end up killing off those who are near and dear to us, while still have that sense of control that this episode has stolen from us.

He goes on:

"There are many factors in building and maintaining an immune system strong enough to handle a viral infection, but among them one cannot overemphasize the role played by our emotions. For most everyone, this crisis is among the most challenging periods in our lives, no matter how long we have been a resident of this shining ball of blue. We are all being tested to our cores in many ways, ranging from financially to spiritually, and we all have to decide for ourselves how to respond. Indeed, how we show up in this situation defines us, and may well be a determining factor in if and how badly we get sick.

This is, of course, a very personal matter, and each one of us needs to decide what feels right. Experience teaches us that approaching problems with courage and confidence leads to a better result than allowing fear and reluctance to rule the day. In the final analysis, while social distancing may prove to have been a necessary short-term solution, I would submit that we reach the point of diminishing returns when we allow our emotions to turn negative to such a degree that we wind up feeling afraid, suspicious and paranoid.

While I appreciate the need for masks among grocery store workers, health care practitioners, and in other settings where high-risk individuals might be infected, I do not see the need to wear a mask or facsimiles, such as bandanas and other homemade devices — the necessity or benefit of which is questionable — while recreating. People walking around, riding bikes, even driving cars wearing masks appear to be unhappy and afraid, and they cause the rest of us to feel the same way. This is emotionally antithetical to what we truly need right now: the optimism that we can successfully meet this challenge.

While I am still following the containment protocol — primarily because it is what we have decided to do (for now) as a culture — it is also my intention on an individual level to project a positive attitude of confidence. For this reason, and because I trust my ability as the successful result of 200,000 years of human evolution to survive being infected with this virus (although, trust me, I have no interest in contracting it), I have decided not to wear a mask outdoors. Instead, I greet others I pass (at a reasonable distance, of course) with a reassuring smile, as if to say, “Don’t worry, we’ll get through this.” To my way of thinking, this approach will be of greater value and contribute more to the collective effort than viewing every individual I encounter with suspicion as a potential subject of infection.

Only time will confirm whether we are in the midst of the latest, greatest cobra effect moment in history. But one thing is clear even at the tip of this iceberg: We must all engage in due diligence in availing ourselves of the facts of what we are dealing with, and allow our highest, most positive selves to emerge as we make the necessary decisions during the weeks and months ahead. In that sense, this is not merely a phenomenally perplexing crisis, but the greatest opportunity of our lives to discover who we are and what we are capable of. "

I don't think I can offer much to add to that.

Stay safe out there, and stay cool.
- DH Lawrence
Snooz

America is Shutting Down

Post by Snooz »

FourPart;1532273 wrote: Pastors who have been defing the closure orders are dropping all over the place. Wherever there's been a mass protest against Lockdown, there's a peak in cases in that local area. Once they open everywhere to mas gatherings it'll spiral more & more. The ones who are most likely to be affected are going to be the Trumpists. Best way to get the Democrats voted in. Eliminate the Opposition.

That's what I find so confusing about the Republicans insisting their voters go out and mingle. You're thinning the voting herd, you nitwits.
Bryn Mawr

America is Shutting Down

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac;1532293 wrote: An interesting point of view, and the author helps to clear up some of the thinking associated with the lock down and such.

I don't think I can offer much to add to that.

Stay safe out there, and stay cool.

A very well thought out article, thank you.
Hope6

America is Shutting Down

Post by Hope6 »

Let me let you guys in on a little secret. There are scores of us out here rational, sane regular people. We saw during the last election what was going on, all the Trump supporters getting pepper sprayed, having drinks poured on them. being beaten up, cursed at and all that crazy stuff. So there were lots of us who just bidded our time, we said nothing about who we supported and just quietly went to the polls and voted, because that our right as Americans, we can vote for whoever we want and we don't have to tell anybody!! And that my friends is why every one was so shocked when he won! :)
spot

America is Shutting Down

Post by spot »

We have a similar effect in large parts of the UK too. People voting Conservative come in two main flavors, the tasteless yahoo louts with loads of money, and the quiet ones who refuse to tell anyone which way they voted but still hate Socialism. A few of the rest are just obvious, the hunters and the shooters and the farmers and most of the aristocracy and the high income bracket.
LarsMac

America is Shutting Down

Post by LarsMac »

Hope6;1532313 wrote: Let me let you guys in on a little secret. There are scores of us out here rational, sane regular people. We saw during the last election what was going on, all the Trump supporters getting pepper sprayed, having drinks poured on them. being beaten up, cursed at and all that crazy stuff. So there were lots of us who just bidded our time, we said nothing about who we supported and just quietly went to the polls and voted, because that our right as Americans, we can vote for whoever we want and we don't have to tell anybody!! And that my friends is why every one was so shocked when he won! :)

I've seen the man in action for decades, and could not imagine any thinking individual in this country would fall for the idea of putting that Bozo in the White House.

I had no particular respect for Billary, but the stupidity of the Republicans and their inablility to put up a logical candidate for the office for three elections running encouraged me to abandon the party.

The Donald was simply a temper tantrum of people who were tired of not getting their way.

And, actually, no I was not particularly shocked or surprised when I first saw the new that he had won.

It was actually quite predictable for anyone who had been paying attention for the last two decades.

And that is all I am going to say about it.
- DH Lawrence
spot

America is Shutting Down

Post by spot »

If we look at modern history (call it the post-war world, the time since 1945), international politics has been entirely about destabilization. The USSR started it by encouraging the attempted communist take-over of Korea, Cuba and Vietnam to stress America and see whether it had the will to react. America started it by leading a nuclear arms race and pretending it was being pushed. China started it by rebuilding a country weakened under European imperialism and Japanese ambition, establishing an increasing power center.

Europe avoided destabilization (despite American efforts in Greece and Italy) by unifying, removing the national levels capable of being divided. Japan avoided destabilization by aligning completely with American interests. America successfully destabilized the entire Middle East and every unprotected non-aligned country (most of South America, India/Pakistan, Libya, for instance) and finally destabilized the USSR and Eastern Europe out of existence. That has been a story of complete national self-interest at the expense of most of humanity.

The last hundred days look like being the start of America's destabilization, and for once it has nothing to do with international politics. It's looks more like the consequence of a constitutional collapse. We may well end up with a New World Order but it's not the one Kissinger was still calling for even as recently as last month in the WSJ, much less PNAC's. The Republican Party is clearly incapable of generating a catch-up recovery and unwilling to allow one under a Democrat administration. What is missing is the national consensus in a time of emergency which other countries have adopted as an obvious necessity.

Take a devastating global pandemic. Add an economic crisis featuring unemployment and negative growth on a par with Great Depression. And have it all unfold during a US presidential election year, at a time when divisions within American society and politics are particularly acute.

It's a recipe for partisan accusations, animosity and feuding - exacerbated by competing authorities at the national, state and local level, all vying to find solutions and avoid blame for the growing death toll and financial wreckage wrought by the pandemic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52405741

magentaflame

America is Shutting Down

Post by magentaflame »

I'm so tired of all of this. Now it's a blood problem not a lung problem. If it's mutated ..meh? whaddya do eh?

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/foreign-correspondent

I don't like seeing bodies put into the back of semi trucks at the back of a hospital. Since this episode they have realised (number of heart attacks) that it's not all about the lungs anymore.
magentaflame

America is Shutting Down

Post by magentaflame »

LarsMac;1532317 wrote: I've seen the man in action for decades, and could not imagine any thinking individual in this country would fall for the idea of putting that Bozo in the White House.

I had no particular respect for Billary, but the stupidity of the Republicans and their inablility to put up a logical candidate for the office for three elections running encouraged me to abandon the party.

The Donald was simply a temper tantrum of people who were tired of not getting their way.

And, actually, no I was not particularly shocked or surprised when I first saw the new that he had won.

It was actually quite predictable for anyone who had been paying attention for the last two decades.

As most would know I have socialist leanings. but I'm gobsmacked at the Republican party keeping him there . It will haunt them forever how the nazis of your country was supported by this dude and he supports them . I don't understand. there must be many people with brains in that party (we know there are because they keep getting sacked or moved) WHY? do they have him still in power? It just doesn't make sense. Is the presidency some kind of dictatorship where their own party can't put a vote of no confidence?...I'm just ...I have no words.
Hope6

America is Shutting Down

Post by Hope6 »

spot;1532316 wrote: We have a similar effect in large parts of the UK too. People voting Conservative come in two main flavors, the tasteless yahoo louts with loads of money, and the quiet ones who refuse to tell anyone which way they voted but still hate Socialism. A few of the rest are just obvious, the hunters and the shooters and the farmers and most of the aristocracy and the high income bracket.

Well I don't see anybody calling democrats yahoos when on the one year anniversary of Trumps election they went out and howled at the moon , but then the press has always been biased.
Hope6

America is Shutting Down

Post by Hope6 »

Well all I know is my own situation and from my point of view, President Trump has done more for our country in 3 years than a lot of former presidents have done in 8. Many past presidents have had a, kick the can down the road, mentality about things, at least he has tried to actually do something about some things. As for me I know that since he changed the tax laws that we have gotten the largest tax refunds we have ever gotten in 36 years in operation.

That is the last I will comment on this subject because it will only serve to start an arguement.
Hope6

America is Shutting Down

Post by Hope6 »

Back to what this thread is supposed to be about. Here in Virginia we have almost reached 11,000 cases in the state. Our cases are still going up and thankfully our governor isn't talking about opening up the state anyway like some other governors.
Snooz

America is Shutting Down

Post by Snooz »

LarsMac;1532317 wrote: I've seen the man in action for decades, and could not imagine any thinking individual in this country would fall for the idea of putting that Bozo in the White House.

I found this incredible but apparently millions of people believe that The Apprentice is real and that Donald Trump is a brilliant businessman. A woman in her 30s that I worked with that I had previously thought to be very intelligent, thought he'd be a wonderful president and literally said "he's a brilliant businessman" in a breathy voice of admiration. She was completely ignorant of all of his bankruptcies, etc but by that point, nothing could have changed her mind on who she was voting for.

We got what we deserved at the time because we're a nation of idiots but now that the death rate is over 50,000 people in a matter of months, it's time to lose the dead weight known as Trump.
spot

America is Shutting Down

Post by spot »

Hope6;1532338 wrote: Well all I know is my own situation and from my point of view, President Trump has done more for our country in 3 years than a lot of former presidents have done in 8. Many past presidents have had a, kick the can down the road, mentality about things, at least he has tried to actually do something about some things. As for me I know that since he changed the tax laws that we have gotten the largest tax refunds we have ever gotten in 36 years in operation.

That is the last I will comment on this subject because it will only serve to start an arguement.

Actually I've been consistently applauding and defending the President on this site since before he took office, for what he's done and especially for what he's not done. He's been a far better choice than anyone else who offered to serve. We're not one-sided here, though most of us would cross the road to avoid him if we were in the same town. He's a despicable and amoral man but he's doing fine as far as his acts in office are concerned.
Snooz

America is Shutting Down

Post by Snooz »

Hope6;1532337 wrote: Well I don't see anybody calling democrats yahoos when on the one year anniversary of Trumps election they went out and howled at the moon , but then the press has always been biased.

That's the first I've heard of this.
Snooz

America is Shutting Down

Post by Snooz »

spot;1532342 wrote: Actually I've been consistently applauding and defending the President on this site since before he took office, for what he's done and especially for what he's not done. He's been a far better choice than anyone else who offered to serve. We're not one-sided here, though most of us would cross the road to avoid him if we were in the same town. He's a despicable and amoral man but he's doing fine as far as his acts in office are concerned.

You're also thrilled at the destabilization of the US government if I recall correctly.
spot

America is Shutting Down

Post by spot »

Snooz;1532343 wrote: That's the first I've heard of this.

This was it, I, presume. Being the Washington Times I have no idea whether the story had any basis in fact, but this was the story.

Distraught liberals, progressives and Democrats who still can’t deal with the fact that President Trump won the election have some big, noisy plans for the upcoming first anniversary of election, fast approaching on Nov. 8. Those who remain depressed about Mr. Trump’s victory already know what they will do to mark the moment.

They plan to scream and holler in the streets. No, really.

“Let’s have a primal scream for the current state of our democracy! Gather together after work at Philadelphia’s City Hall, or just scream in solidarity from your own backyard,” advises Philly Up — a grass-roots Philadelphia-based group of feminist progressives — in a spirited public advisory.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... ests-agai/

Clearly you reed the wrong papers, Snooze.
spot

America is Shutting Down

Post by spot »

Snooz;1532344 wrote: You're also thrilled at the destabilization of the US government if I recall correctly.

I called for an isolationist stance and we definitely got that. I observe that the US government is consequently destabilized but that's a minor cost by comparison. President Trump is not Dubya, his White House is not PNAC, the world is safer by reason of his presidency.
LarsMac

America is Shutting Down

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1532342 wrote: Actually I've been consistently applauding and defending the President on this site since before he took office, for what he's done and especially for what he's not done. He's been a far better choice than anyone else who offered to serve. We're not one-sided here, though most of us would cross the road to avoid him if we were in the same town. He's a despicable and amoral man but he's doing fine as far as his acts in office are concerned.

Well, he has not escalated the war in Iraq or Afghanistan, and he has yet to bomb Iran.

I suppose that I must give credit where it is due. [sigh]

As far as a bastion of credibility, I suspect that the Washington Times is on par with with Infowars, I think.
- DH Lawrence
Snooz

America is Shutting Down

Post by Snooz »

Well okay then.

"The Washington Times holds a conservative political stance. The Columbia Journalism Review wrote in 1995, that the paper "is like no major city daily in America in the way that it wears its political heart on its sleeve. No major paper in America would dare be so partisan.""
gmc

America is Shutting Down

Post by gmc »

I was actually watching it live when trump suggested injecting disinfectant or breathing it in as a cure for covid 19 as well as getting light in to the body somehow and asking the doctors to look in to it. How bad is the american educational sytem that people would believe drinking dettol will do anything except kill you in a most painful manner? The reaction of Dr Brix sittng behind him will be a meme in years to come.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ice-bleach

It's like watching a bad comedy sketch he's beyond satire.
spot

America is Shutting Down

Post by spot »

Hope6;1532339 wrote: Back to what this thread is supposed to be about. Here in Virginia we have almost reached 11,000 cases in the state. Our cases are still going up and thankfully our governor isn't talking about opening up the state anyway like some other governors.

The cases precede the deaths by a couple of weeks, it takes time for the average person who tests positive, and becomes a case, to get as far as being dead. So while the daily reported case count is doubling each week or fortnight, the deaths stay a long way behind. If the daily reported case count stops going up, the number of deaths will play catch-up for the rest of the month and suddenly look a lot more than they did.

To take a neutral example, Georgia's daily reported case count will keep going up until it turns around, and during this early phase the turnaround will happen when and if most people stay away from most other people. That still leaves a lot of uninfected people to catch it after the summer but that's a different wave.

After the daily reported case count starts to fall, it might fall slowly over months in which case the disease keeps killing people for a long time, or it might fall rapidly in which case the daily reported case count and the deaths are both a sharp spike and then they're gone. In just about every country you can look at which have turned the corner and started to reduce the daily reported case count, the figures have fallen slowly.

The same thing is happening in the UK and in America and in Georgia, the differences are minor. We can't get the daily reported case count or deaths to drop quickly, and the pressure is huge to relax the restraints before the numbers become minimal. If the restraints are fully released, the numbers will just start sky-rocketing again.

What will eventually stop the spread is running out of people to infect. Either it happens in one long slow trailing down of the numbers or it happens in two or three resurgences but eventually we'll most of us have had it. Spinning things out until next summer for a vaccination means staying isolated that long, and most people just won't do that.

America has five times the number of people as the UK. If your country ends up with a million dead and mine ends up with a quarter million we'll both be luckier than we might have been, it still might end up double that. Neither country can bring the infection down to a low enough rate that we can start quarantining contacts, which is how all the successful countries have succeeded in stopping the disease. America and the UK aren't capable of organizing that.

Georgia has ten million residents. An optimistic death toll from Covid-19 by next summer in Georgia is 30,000. Deaths are countable, "cases" is just a made-up number that changes its vague definition far too frequently and differs from place to place. The only meaningful ambition in a pandemic is not to be one of the dead when it's all over. Georgia hasn't even reached a thousand deaths yet.

Return to “Health Wellness”