Over Zealous Pharmacy Staff

Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Social services search mother's home after Boots pharmacist reported her because her child suffered a coughing fit when she was given medication | Mail Online

This annoys the heck out of me.

For one.... my husband has a carrier bag full of medication every fortnight. Some he has been on for years. Every new prescription Is Issued after consultation to be compatible with what he Is already taking. Most of them are on the reccomendation of his hospital consultants, one of which Is a Proffessor.......but no, every time I go for his prescriptions, some part time, Uneduacated and often untrained Pharmacy assistant decides that they know more than his hospital consultant and questions what he Is prescribed.

Second... the Pharmacy In this article actually Issued him blood pressure medication once at 500 mg Instead of 50 mg. Unfortunately, he had taken It which resulted In Paramedics coming out to him when he was taken Ill.

This Pharmacy's reaction to this was to offer us a £50 shopping voucher which we refused. We were assured It was a one off and new checks would be put into place yet a year later, It happened again.... This time I went to their governing body and Boots response was " Some of our Pharmacy staff are not trained enough In checking dosages".

So why does this outfit think they have the right to hurl accusations at a young Mum because she looks young? I question, would the response have been the same If she had been older.

Why do these people think because they work In a pharmacy, they can do this?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Nobody interviewed the pharmacist? It certainly seems that they overreacted, but I'm neither a parent nor a medical paraprofessional trained to make snap diagnoses based on isolated seconds of observation, so I can't say for sure.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I also think this was a breach of the Data Protection Act.

If the member of staff was so concerned about the child at the time, she would have Immediately phoned for an ambulance. She waited a week, obtained the Mother's address and sent In Social Services. That smacks of blatant meddling.

Ironic as only last week, a Boots member of staff was discplined for actually hitting someone's child when she broke something In the store.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I am in two minds.

What if the alarm was not raised and the child was in danger ?

The timing could have been better.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Return to “Health Wellness”