saturated vs. unsaturated fats

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

If I see something with 14g of fat, and 1 is unsaturated - is that good or bad for me?

I had almond flour pancakes this morning because I'm staying away from breads and rice and potatoes. But while I'm eating them, I'm reading the label on the bag.

My initial reaction was ' well ****' that can't be healthy, but then I realized I don't have a clue what the breakdown saturated and unsaturated means to the end user...:-3

While we are at it, why don't labels list net carbs to start with, instead of listing total and then dietary fiber? Why make me do the math?
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Did you enjoy them ?

Then that's alright then.

Just don't eat too much, and you should be OK.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Coconut oil has saturated fat and it's good for you. I think when they start screwing around with it and "hydrogenate" it, it turns it to trans fat which is very unhealthy.

Raw nuts have saturated fat and they're super healthy for you. I guess it all depends what the fat is from. I tend to look everything up anyway.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

And I'm an idiot because I just noticed you asked about UNsaturated fat.

I wouldn't think one gram out of 14 would be that bad.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

SnoozeAgain;1393069 wrote: And I'm an idiot because I just noticed you asked about UNsaturated fat.

I wouldn't think one gram out of 14 would be that bad.

oh no, i mean the whole fat question. 14 seems like a lot

Not as much as the beloved big mac, of course... but a lot for something you are eating to eat healthy, IMO
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

rajakrsna

Post by rajakrsna »

If you are afraid of saturated fatty acids. Go vegetarian.
Om namo bagavate vasudevaya, " God is the Cause of All causes."
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

flopstock;1393117 wrote: oh no, i mean the whole fat question. 14 seems like a lot

Not as much as the beloved big mac, of course... but a lot for something you are eating to eat healthy, IMO

1 gram of fat contains 9 calories. 20-30% of your total calorie intake should be fat. Whatever your daily calorie intake is for a day, multiply it by .20 and .30. Then, divide by 9 (since there are 9 calories in 1 gram of fat) The amount you get now is the ideal range for how many grams of fat you should eat each day.

Unsaturated fats are better for you than saturated. Saturated Fats vs Unsaturated Fats - Difference and Comparison | Diffen
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Saturated fats are better for cooking food with, but unsaturated fats are healthier for consumption.

Saturated fats are more stable at high heat, therefore will not break down during cooking.

Olive Oil is actually the safest for both cooking and consumption, as long as you maintain lower heat for cooking.

Of course most people worried about fat intake will probably avoid frying food in fat, anyway.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

And just exactly what is the poly part? Poly un saturated, poly saturated?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

YZGI;1393172 wrote: And just exactly what is the poly part? Poly un saturated, poly saturated?

Saturated fats have only monovalent bonds between the atoms.

Monounstaturated fats have a single divalent bond and polyunsaturated fats have multiple divalent bonds.

Vegetable fats tend to be saturated, animal fats tend to be polyunsaturated.

It is said that the more divalent bonds in the chemical make-up, the more likely it is to be harmful - I have seen no rigorous explanation as to why but the word on the street is that polyunsaturates are more likely to be stored as the type of fat that clogs the arteries and causes strokes / heart attacks.

Having said that, the Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids are polyunsaturated so they cannot be all bad.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Bryn Mawr;1393192 wrote: Saturated fats have only monovalent bonds between the atoms.

Monounstaturated fats have a single divalent bond and polyunsaturated fats have multiple divalent bonds.

Vegetable fats tend to be saturated, animal fats tend to be polyunsaturated.

It is said that the more divalent bonds in the chemical make-up, the more likely it is to be harmful - I have seen no rigorous explanation as to why but the word on the street is that polyunsaturates are more likely to be stored as the type of fat that clogs the arteries and causes strokes / heart attacks.

Having said that, the Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids are polyunsaturated so they cannot be all bad.

Well, thank you Bryn. Now that this is as clear as mud I think I'll pour bacon drippings over everything.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

YZGI;1393240 wrote: Well, thank you Bryn. Now that this is as clear as mud I think I'll pour bacon drippings over everything.

Well you did ask - and you said exactly :p

I'll try for a more English explanation :-

Fats are a chain with a backbone of carbon and then hydrogen and other bits hanging off the (four) hooks on the carbon atoms.

A saturated fat is where every hook is taken :-

h h h h h h

c-c-c-c-c-c-

h h h h h h

A monounsaturated fat is where one pair of hooks have been left free and link to each other - a double bond between adjacent carbon atoms :-

h h h h h h h

c-c-c-c=c-c-c-

h h h . . h h

A polyunsaturated fat is where this has happened more than once :-

h h h h . . h

c-c=c-c-c=c-c-

h . . h h h h

Simples?

ETA - Argh - the display has eaten my spaces!
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Bryn Mawr;1393248 wrote: Well you did ask - and you said exactly :p

I'll try for a more English explanation :-

Fats are a chain with a backbone of carbon and then hydrogen and other bits hanging off the (four) hooks on the carbon atoms.

A saturated fat is where every hook is taken :-

h h h h h h

c-c-c-c-c-c-

h h h h h h

A monounsaturated fat is where one pair of hooks have been left free and link to each other - a double bond between adjacent carbon atoms :-

h h h h h h h

c-c-c-c=c-c-c-

h h h . . h h

A polyunsaturated fat is where this has happened more than once :-

h h h h . . h

c-c=c-c-c=c-c-

h . . h h h h

Simples?

So thats how you build rockets.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

YZGI;1393250 wrote: So thats how you build rockets.

ASCII art was never my strong point.

BTW - rather than pour the bacon dripping over food, try frying a slice of bread in it - delicious.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Bryn Mawr;1393251 wrote: ASCII art was never my strong point.

BTW - rather than pour the bacon dripping over food, try frying a slice of bread in it - delicious.

Mmm, sounds good. Will do it this weekend when I make breakfast.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Bryn Mawr;1393248 wrote:

I hope the spaces know the consequences.........mono somethings or others.

Simples???

Good job you don't work for the BBC
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

YZGI;1393240 wrote: Well, thank you Bryn. Now that this is as clear as mud I think I'll pour bacon drippings over everything.

Thank god you said that! I was afraid to say I now felt even more confused!:wah:

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

flopstock;1393258 wrote: Thank god you said that! I was afraid to say I now felt even more confused!:wah:

Oops - did I booboo again

Return to “Health Wellness”