... perhaps you've heard of them?

They ...

• Make urine

• Remove wastes and extra fluid from your blood

• Control your body's chemical balance

• Help control your blood pressure

• Help keep your bones healthy

• Help you make red blood cells

Apparently you can live a normal healthy life with just one of them so ...

Would you donate one of yours to save the life of a complete stranger's only child?
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Ahso!

These Are Your Kidneys ...

Post by Ahso! »

No! Sorry!
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Lon

Post by Lon »

Family member or relative yes-------------------------stranger no.
spot

Post by spot »

There was a period when altruistic non-directed living organ donation was illegal in the UK. Since it's been legalized there are a stack of hoops to jump through, I doubt whether there's more than a dozen organs been harvested by that route since the law changed. It's very difficult to get a kidney taken out in the UK for the scenario you've outlined. Unless, of course, you have a long-standing emotional tie to the recipient - that changes matters.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
tabby

Post by tabby »

Never say never but I'd have a hard time letting a kidney go for a stranger. The human body can survive with one kidney but I don't see how it could possibly be optimum conditions for your long term good health although I know the medical profession tells us otherwise. I've never had to make a decision like that and I hope I never have to! :-3
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

If I had a brain tumor and only a week left to live, I'd let them have both after I had died. That's about the extent of my generosity since I'm very fond of all my body parts right where they're at.
Chloe_88

Post by Chloe_88 »

I am a donor. But obviously that's when I die. If I had to donate a kidney to a family member: Yes, Complete stranger: mm no I'm sorry, I don't think I would.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Chloe_88;1374628 wrote: I am a donor. But obviously that's when I die. If I had to donate a kidney to a family member: Yes, Complete stranger: mm no I'm sorry, I don't think I would.

Well I guess most earthlings would feel exactly the same way Chloe.

However I should imagine that if we actually visited a hospital and saw a young child, albeit a stranger, who suffered from renal failure on a dialysis machine, we might just have second thoughts.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

SnoozeAgain;1374567 wrote: If I had a brain tumor and only a week left to live, I'd let them have both after I had died. That's about the extent of my generosity since I'm very fond of all my body parts right where they're at.I'd do that only if my organs were paid for. One exception would be if the organs were to go to individuals who couldn't afford the cost and everyone involved was doing their part for free too. Lots of money changes hands with organ donations.

Chances are that many organs are donated without any consent or knowledge anyway, so I'd get my money before I passed away, if that were possible. Of course the media would have a field day with that too, so I'd be sure to be paid for all my interviews as well. Ya gotta love the free market.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

jones jones;1374630 wrote: Well I guess most earthlings would feel exactly the same way Chloe.

However I should imagine that if we actually visited a hospital and saw a young child, albeit a stranger, who suffered from renal failure on a dialysis machine, we might just have second thoughts.Nah!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

It looks as though more living kidney donors are American than all the others added together. OPTN: Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network says that over the last 23 years 108,695 American living donors have given a kidney. Of whom, I notice, a mere 54 were under 18 - come on kids, you're not doing your bit.

What I can't find are how many of those were acquainted with the recipient.

Of non-directed living organ donors worldwide, the most significant group is a bunch of Australian Christians who are derided as cultists. Unfairly, I think - they just put Christianity into action unlike most Christian groups. Half of their members have given a kidney to strangers. It's claimed they're pressured into it by church leaders but then, critics are bound to make that sort of claim. Well done them, that's my opinion.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

A "well done" to the Americans as well?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1374649 wrote: A "well done" to the Americans as well?

Without a doubt. Though one can see why there might be official encouragement, adequate-quality cadaver kidneys can't come close to supplying the numbers needed and over 10% of Medicaid funds support patients on dialysis. On the other hand, anyone in the US attempting to incentivise donors (or "pay" them, as it's also termed) is frowned on from great heights: Dynamist Blog: The National Kidney Foundation vs. Open Debate and Increasing Kidney Donations talks about that.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Of course one can see where they are coming from. Although I have no facts and figures to put up here, I have read/heard about an illegal trade in human organs.

One can easily imagine a very wealthy earthling telling his secretary: "Find a kidney for my son. I don't care where or how you find it or how much you pay for it ... just find it!"

I doubt it is only in the movies that a very poor & uneducated patient enters a hospital for a simple procedure and leaves minus a kidney!
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1374659 wrote: Without a doubt. Though one can see why there might be official encouragement, adequate-quality cadaver kidneys can't come close to supplying the numbers needed and over 10% of Medicaid funds support patients on dialysis. On the other hand, anyone in the US attempting to incentivise donors (or "pay" them, as it's also termed) is frowned on from great heights: Dynamist Blog: The National Kidney Foundation vs. Open Debate and Increasing Kidney Donations talks about that.Thanks!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

jones jones;1374671 wrote: I doubt it is only in the movies that a very poor & uneducated patient enters a hospital for a simple procedure and leaves minus a kidney!I suspect that will only get worse - current practice allows the removal of a kidney from a live body without leaving any external scar at all.

Return to “Health Wellness”