On contraceptive pill, but bleeding slightly while still taking it?

Aura

Post by Aura »

I have been taking Femodene for a few weeks and I notice that I am bleeding slightly. this is normally when I would have had my period, should I see my GP?

I have been taking it on time every day.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Are you taking it all the time with no break, I don't really understand what you are asking. When on the pill you have a seven day break where you bleed, generally less heavy than your normal periods but you generally still have a monthly bleed.

Femodene is a monophasic pill. This means that each tablet has the same dose of hormones in it. One tablet is taken every day for 21 days and you then have a seven day break from pill-taking. During your seven day break, the levels of the hormones in your blood drop, which results in a withdrawal bleed that is similar to your normal period. You start the next pack after the seven pill-free days are up, even if you are still bleeding.
Femodene (ethinylestradiol and gestodene)
Aura

Post by Aura »

"Are you taking it all the time with no break?"

Yes I am.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Aura;1337967 wrote: "Are you taking it all the time with no break?"

Yes I am.

Gosh, I know women take the odd pack back to back to prevent a period during something like a honeymoon or holiday but I didn't think people took it back to back permanently. I'd head back to the doctor if I were you, could just be that that particular brand is not suiting you.

ETA; I can see why some doctors would prescribe it back to back though on further research. Sounds like the hormones in this combination may not be strong enough for you, go back and ask.

Some women have cyclical symptoms around the time of the combined oral contraceptive pill-free interval. If there are problems with headaches, heavy or painful periods the combined oral contraceptive pill can be taken back-to-back. We generally recommend three packets at a time leading to a withdrawal bleed every ten weeks. Femodene is a treatment option for endometriosis and we may recommend avoiding the combined oral contraceptive pill-free interval for several months
http://www.2womenshealth.com/33-Medicat ... modene.htm
Aura

Post by Aura »

Hi I am on the first packet so I haven't taken my break yet, so I am not taking it back to back unless I go on holiday etc :)
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Aura;1337974 wrote: Hi I am on the first packet so I haven't taken my break yet, so I am not taking it back to back unless I go on holiday etc :)

Oh, in that case did you not start it on the last day of your last period then, if not then I can understand why your body may be confused. You need to give it a couple more months to settle down if you're forcing your own natural cycle to change.
Aura

Post by Aura »

No I took it before I was on my period as the last pill I was on was Microgynon which kept making me bleed all the time. So this should stop after a while then?
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Aura;1337981 wrote: No I took it before I was on my period as the last pill I was on was Microgynon which kept making me bleed all the time. So this should stop after a while then?

I should think so, I'd give it a couple more months if I were you. Your body is currently confused by the sounds of it, it's going to take a while to get used to the new mix of hormones being pumped into it. Personally if I were you I think I would have given up completely. I took Microgynon years ago, the experience was enough to put me off any of the contraceptive pills forever. :wah:
Aura

Post by Aura »

Microgynon should not be prescribed to women. I have never had any problems with Femodene and I can stick my fingers up in Mother Nature's face with this one. :wah:

Return to “Health Wellness”