Hypnosis anyone?

kazalala

Hypnosis anyone?

Post by kazalala »

I was reading this article in the paper about Hypnosis and the new techniques being used today.

Train your mind to keep you calm - Dear Miriam - Mirror.co.uk

People are using it for all kinds of things now, and i read about someone a while back having the gastric band one, where they take the patient through the whole process of having gastric band surgery so that they really believe they have had the surgery, or the mind believes it and the body reacts:-3

Train your mind to keep you calm

BY MIRIAM STOPPARD ON AUG 3, 10 12:45 AM IN ADVICE

I'm sceptical about the benefits of old-fashioned hypnotism but one area that's exciting is the use of hypnotherapy to help people find inner control over something that makes them anxious.

Self-hypnosis is proving to be an effective way for people to gain power in situations where they would otherwise feel helpless.

Two great techniques that have really taken off recently are hypnobirthing, which helps women feel in control and relaxed during childbirth, and hypnodieting which help compulsive eaters take charge of their diet and lose weight.

The idea of a virtual gastric band - which saves overweight people needing the real op - is especially intriguing and I approve of anything that reduces the number of people having this drastic surgery.

The technique is also branching out to treat other problems including phobias and Tourette's syndrome.

Has anyone ever had Hypnosos treatment for anything? What is your take on it? A useful alternative to traditional cures or medicine, or a load of old rubbish.:)

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
chonsigirl

Hypnosis anyone?

Post by chonsigirl »

No, it is not rubbish. My mother told me during labor when she had me, they used hynosis (which was also in use during he 50s) and she had a painless birth.
kazalala

Hypnosis anyone?

Post by kazalala »

chonsigirl;1325688 wrote: No, it is not rubbish. My mother told me during labor when she had me, they used hynosis (which was also in use during he 50s) and she had a painless birth.

wow! wish they had used that on me:wah:surprised to hear of it being used that way even in the 50's:thinking:

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
flopstock

Hypnosis anyone?

Post by flopstock »

a friend at work used it to quit smoking 10 years ago. 2 years ago she got the brilliant idea to start again to lose weight because she knew she'd be able to stop on a dime again with the hypnosis... she's still smoking. Didn't even make it 3 hours this time.

the mind is an interesting critter.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Odie

Hypnosis anyone?

Post by Odie »

chonsigirl;1325688 wrote: No, it is not rubbish. My mother told me during labor when she had me, they used hynosis (which was also in use during he 50s) and she had a painless birth.

definately not rubbish indeed.

Good for your mom Chonsi!

I've had it done, you don't go 'under' by any means like you see on t.v.:yh_rotfl

but yes...it works.
Life is just to short for drama.
kazalala

Hypnosis anyone?

Post by kazalala »

flopstock;1325706 wrote: a friend at work used it to quit smoking 10 years ago. 2 years ago she got the brilliant idea to start again to lose weight because she knew she'd be able to stop on a dime again with the hypnosis... she's still smoking. Didn't even make it 3 hours this time.

the mind is an interesting critter.
It certainly is:thinking:so even though she was totally open to hypnosis working,,it didnt work the next second time :-2 also instead of starting to smoke to lose weight why didnt she just use hypnosis!:wah:

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
chonsigirl

Hypnosis anyone?

Post by chonsigirl »

kazalala;1325690 wrote: wow! wish they had used that on me:wah:surprised to hear of it being used that way even in the 50's:thinking:

Yes, they did use it in the early 50s. She came out of it afterwards when they were sewing up her few stitches, the doctors were perplexed why she finally felt it. They went back and checked their notes, she had been told she would wake up when she heard the baby cry. They changed their tactics after that, used it for many years. I do not know why they don't now as often. But I looked on the net, many birthing centers still do use it.

I was such a quiet baby, my skeptical grandfather blamed it on the hypnosis. I think I have outgrown it now. :wah:

Clinical Studies of Hypnotic Analgesia
Betty Boop

Hypnosis anyone?

Post by Betty Boop »

I've never tried it personally but went with my ex husband to a psychiatrist that attempted to hypnotise him to stop his aggressive behaviour. He refused to be hypnotised, didn't say no, just totally fought the guy and he couldn't get him to go under at all :wah: Did nothing for the aggression, he ranted all the way home :rolleyes:
Patsy Warnick

Hypnosis anyone?

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Oh this is not rubbish - totally works

You have to want for this method as you would want & allow for others you accept. The bottom line in any field.

If your at your wits end - you'll try any thing.

it works

Patsy
kazalala

Hypnosis anyone?

Post by kazalala »

chonsigirl;1325726 wrote: Yes, they did use it in the early 50s. She came out of it afterwards when they were sewing up her few stitches, the doctors were perplexed why she finally felt it. They went back and checked their notes, she had been told she would wake up when she heard the baby cry. They changed their tactics after that, used it for many years. I do not know why they don't now as often. But I looked on the net, many birthing centers still do use it.

I was such a quiet baby, my skeptical grandfather blamed it on the hypnosis. I think I have outgrown it now. :wah:

Clinical Studies of Hypnotic Analgesia
Oh i believed you Chonsi :wah:just thought wow they even were usingit that long ago.. amazing. Honestly it was never ever suggested to me as a form of pain relief in labour:sneaky: Probably would have been better thna being high as a kite on Gas and air:wah:

Betty Boop;1325826 wrote: I've never tried it personally but went with my ex husband to a psychiatrist that attempted to hypnotise him to stop his aggressive behaviour. He refused to be hypnotised, didn't say no, just totally fought the guy and he couldn't get him to go under at all :wah: Did nothing for the aggression, he ranted all the way home :rolleyes:
Oh no:wah:

Patsy Warnick;1325871 wrote: Oh this is not rubbish - totally works

You have to want for this method as you would want & allow for others you accept. The bottom line in any field.

If your at your wits end - you'll try any thing.

it works

Patsy
Yes i suppose so ,, i think i would be up for it actually:thinking:

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Betty Boop

Hypnosis anyone?

Post by Betty Boop »

I'm sure it works for those that want it to, looking back it was foolish to expect a control freak to hand over control of himself to a hypnotist, never going to happen is it! :wah:

I guess I would give it a go, I'm used to meditating and it's a similar state to be in, only it's a blank state. Some guided meditation could be pretty close to hypnosis with the guide leading you towards a goal, I guess. :-3

Return to “Health Wellness”