Epilepsy

JacksDad

Epilepsy

Post by JacksDad »

A dear friend seems to have broken the ice for me so...........

In late November '09 I had a massive heart attack. As they were performing the angioplasty

I flatlined on the table. After reviving me and putting me in CCU I went and did it again. Flatlined, revived, and another angio (that's four stents for me). I was heavily drugged and slept for days. Until I began to stroke. Multiple strokes I'm told. I soon began to have seizures. Bad ones, I'm told. I don't know because I went into coma for 22 days.

So now I'm told I'm epileptic. And I believe them as I have seizures daily.

Anyone have any experience with this?
guppy

Epilepsy

Post by guppy »

Hey JD. I got your email..I have missed you and Megan too!! i was reading this thread..i am sorry to hear you are going through this...
JacksDad

Epilepsy

Post by JacksDad »

It's ok. Thanks.
JacksDad

Epilepsy

Post by JacksDad »

I should add that I'm not looking for pity.

Just some insight.
guppy

Epilepsy

Post by guppy »

no pity here..of course you probably already know this..you had a stroke..you have damaged your brain sounds like..the part that controls your electrical impulses in your brain..ie: the seizures...
fuzzywuzzy

Epilepsy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Wow I knew if I really wanted it ..........it would happen .

I'ts like telling someone you'll meet them under the clocks. (mrs K might know what I'd talking about there)

I'm so full of joy at the moment I have nothing to say..... :)

I love you two ..so good to hear fromyou Gupps ...oh and congrats at your wedding ..MRS...hee heee hee
guppy

Epilepsy

Post by guppy »

fuzzywuzzy;1324433 wrote: Wow I knew if I really wanted it ..........it would happen .

I'ts like telling someone you'll meet them under the clocks. (mrs K might know what I'd talking about there)

I'm so full of joy at the moment I have nothing to say..... :)

I love you two ..so good to hear fromyou Gupps ...oh and congrats at your wedding ..MRS...hee heee hee

You have NOTHING to say??? i must have shocked you good..swimming back in..lol

and thank you for the congrats..It was a year on May the twelfth. oh i cant wait to catch up with you two...lol
fuzzywuzzy

Epilepsy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

The only thing I know about epilepsy is how to manage a seizure in and out of the water ....I have no clue to anything else sorry jd.

OH god I have to send you a wedding pressy
Peg

Epilepsy

Post by Peg »

The best thing you could do for yourself JD is to educate those around you. I remember a girl I went to school with that had epileptic seizures. The teachers would just freeze. They had no clue what to do.
JacksDad

Epilepsy

Post by JacksDad »

Peg;1324582 wrote: The best thing you could do for yourself JD is to educate those around you. I remember a girl I went to school with that had epileptic seizures. The teachers would just freeze. They had no clue what to do.

That's funny. I've had neighbors hand me pamphlets on what to do in case of a seizure. I look at it to make sure it's right then hand it back to them saying, " This is for you."
guppy

Epilepsy

Post by guppy »

JacksDad;1324588 wrote: That's funny. I've had neighbors hand me pamphlets on what to do in case of a seizure. I look at it to make sure it's right then hand it back to them saying, " This is for you."

at least you still have your wit...:yh_rotfl:yh_bigsmi
guppy

Epilepsy

Post by guppy »

are you having grand mal seizures?
JacksDad

Epilepsy

Post by JacksDad »

My wit is definitely intact. Although what I wrote about my neighbors is true.

I don't know what kind of seizures I have. At night my body will jerk around. During the day I shake and I'm weak. I do space out from time to time and I've done some stupid, out of control things. I slur, stutter and drop conversations mid sentence. And I have major memory issues.

I think I'll leave it up to the Doctor.
fuzzywuzzy

Epilepsy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

JacksDad;1324619 wrote: My wit is definitely intact. Although what I wrote about my neighbors is true.

I don't know what kind of seizures I have. At night my body will jerk around. During the day I shake and I'm weak. I do space out from time to time and I've done some stupid, out of control things. I slur, stutter and drop conversations mid sentence. And I have major memory issues.

I think I'll leave it up to the Doctor.

:yh_hugs:yh_hugs:yh_hugs:yh_hugs
JacksDad

Epilepsy

Post by JacksDad »

Thanks Mags. I've been feeling well the past few days/
JacksDad

Epilepsy

Post by JacksDad »

Petit Mal and Myclonic.

I now dance like David Byrne fom The Talking Heads.

Spot will laugh soohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-io-kZKl_BIner or later.
tedhutchinson

Epilepsy

Post by tedhutchinson »

Anticonvulsant and neuroprotective effects of the ketogenic dietKetogenic diet has been used in treating epilepsy for more than 80 years. It is based on a drastic change of proportions in the consumption of carbohydrates, proteins and fats. In everyday diet we consume approximately 34 per cent of fats, 50 per cent of carbohydrates and 14 per cent of proteins. While ketogenic diet consists in 80-90 per cent of fats and in 10-20 per cents of carbohydrates and proteins together. Despite its indisputable effectiveness, the functioning of the ketogenic diet has not been explained. It seems that its functioning mechanism is unique and results from a number of chronic metabolic changes as well as the adaptation in the cenral nervous system that occurs during its long-term application. The most recent clinical and experimental data suggest that the ketogenic diet also has neuroprotective properties, which makes it a useful alternative therapeutic method in the modification of the natural history of the diseases related with neurodegeneration processes.
You may find that moving to an Atkins for Life type of diet would help.

Here is a Swedish version similar to Atkins ongoing weight loss It's also a sensible way of eating for people with diabetes.

Bear in mind that human DNA evolved BEFORE the introduction of farming so actually performs better when fat burning.

You may find using coconut oil or MCT oil also helps promote ketosis thus enabling your brain/heart/lungs to function more efficiently.
JacksDad

Epilepsy

Post by JacksDad »

I've been doing Atkins pretty much since it's introduction. That's probably why my seizures are under control for the most part.

The coconut oil is interesting. I'll look into that.

Thank you.
tedhutchinson

Epilepsy

Post by tedhutchinson »

JacksDad;1328214 wrote: The coconut oil is interesting. I'll look into that.Coconut ketones This site explains the connection of ketone use for brain health. I appreciate that Alzheimer's is not related to Epilepsy but every approach to improving brain health may be relevant.

You may also find the use of Medium Chain Triglyceride oil also encourages ketone burning.

Introductory $5 discount code for IHERB = WAB666

You may find that correcting vitamin D, magnesium and omega 3 status is also neuroprotective.

Return to “Health Wellness”