CPR: CardioPulmonary Resuscitation

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I've just passed my CPR training and thought I'd bring the importance of CPR to everyone's attention! If you know CPR then read it again! :yh_rotfl :yh_wink

Sometimes it's all too easy to assume one knows what the hell they're doing just by simply watching someone push on somebody's chest and blow air into their mouths but I think that the CPR courses not only allows one to know the finer details involved with saving someone's life!,..yes saving their life!,..but I think going through the course also acts:yh_wink to initiate a response with minimal hesitation when faced with a situation that demands it!

Indications

The main indication for CPR is cardiac arrest (a condition in which a person's heart has stopped).[6] CPR is used on people in cardiac arrest in order to oxygenate the blood and maintain a cardiac output to keep vital organs alive. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Compressing someone's chest has nothing to do with trying to get the victim to breath rather assists in the hearts already slowed responsibility in pumping oxygenated blood to the rest of the body(Courteous of the left atrium-Yes all but allow me to be smart would ya please! :yh_wait) Wait, WAIT we have a man lying face down unconscious and you hadn't seen him fall WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU DO!??!??!?

Studies have shown the importance of immediate CPR followed by defibrillation within 3–5 minutes of sudden VF cardiac arrest improve survival. In cities such as Seattle where CPR training is widespread and defibrillation by EMS personnel follows quickly, the survival rate is about 30 percent. In cities such as New York City, without those advantages, the survival rate is only 1-2 percent.Cardiopulmonary resuscitation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Let's get CRACKING!!!!!!!! :yh_wink!!!!!!!!
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Good thread and presentation, Snyder.

I like the enthusiasm!

Nice to see you!
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Ahso!;1289547 wrote: Good thread and presentation, Snyder.

I like the enthusiasm!

Nice to see you!

Hey, what's up man...

It had never occurred to me the importance to know CPR mostly because I as well assumed I would know how to do that in a situation that called for it simply because it looked easy! I can't be the only one...

I'll help raise awareness as much as I can because while CPR, as stated, doesn't normally save lives by itself it is extremely helpful for the chance of the victim surviving.

Not just CPR either -

How to Do the Heimlich Maneuver -- How to Do the Heimlich Maneuver | eHow.com

What Do I Do If I See Someone Having a Seizure?

Do you know what to do when someone has a seizure? It may be your friend, your coworker, or a family member you see having a seizure. Knowing a little seizure first aid may greatly help someone having a seizure - it may even save their life. A seizure consists of disorganized, electrical discharges of the brain and has multiple causes. If someone has several seizures, their doctor may diagnose them epilepsy. Managing these seizures requires long-term medical treatment. It is essential to know when an individual has a seizure and what to look for. Experiencing a seizure can be a scary experience for the person experiencing them – as well as the people observing it. Knowing what to do can help the seizure victim to avoid hurting himself or herself during the seizure.

What Does a Seizure Look Like?

Some seizures will appear differently from others, so it will depend upon the seizure disorder how the seizures will appear.

Although this list is not inclusive, here are some common symptoms seen if someone has a seizure, such as:

* alteration or absence of consciousness

* lip smacking

* involuntary muscle contraction the entire body, followed by relaxation

* tongue biting due to contraction of jaw muscle

* difficulty of breathing and secretion of saliva from the mouth.

You may have a loved one or someone you work with who experiences seizures. Even if it is not someone you know, there could be a chance that you are in a public place and you witness a seizure. Witnessing a seizure can be frightening, but there are some things you can do to help the person experiencing the seizure:

* Do not panic and be calm.

* Do not attempt move the person having seizure to another location, since this may injury you, the person having the seizure, or other bystanders.

* Do not leave the person having the seizure. Stay with them until the seizure stops.

* Look for bracelet tag and contact information for contact information or verification that the individual has epilepsy.

* Protect the individual from any kind of injury. You can do this by moving chairs or other hard objects away from the person.

* Do not attempt to open the mouth and put anything in the mouth, since this could pose as a choking hazard or you could injure yourself.

* Gently put a soft pillow under the head to prevent injury to the head during the seizure.

* Carefully and gently turn the individual to their side and allow any fluid to come out of the mouth

* Do not attempt to give anything to drink or eat while the person is having a seizure.

* Seizures usually last for a short period of time (1-2 minutes). If a seizure lasts longer than about five minutes, you should call an ambulance immediately.
mrsK

Post by mrsK »

Gongrats for doing the CPR.

Good for you,never know when you might need it.

I hope you never have to use it but is a good thing to know:-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

K.Snyder;1289533 wrote: Compressing someone's chest has nothing to do with trying to get the victim to breath rather assists in the hearts already slowed responsibility in pumping oxygenated blood to the rest of the body(Courteous of the left atrium-

Sorry!,..I should have said left atrium and left ventricle!

:yh_wink
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

mrsK;1289672 wrote: Gongrats for doing the CPR.

Good for you,never know when you might need it.

I hope you never have to use it but is a good thing to know:-6

Yes, it is very good to know CPR isn't it? :yh_wink
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

that's very interesting K . Is this the first time you've done CPR training? WELL done KS!!!! I wish more would do it.

In Australia it is usually compulsary in High school to achieve at least level two first aid. I'm level three which means I get to use the machine that goes 'Beep' not a great leap from the neccesary componant of CPR. Do they not teach it in your high schools?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

fuzzywuzzy;1289909 wrote: that's very interesting K . Is this the first time you've done CPR training? WELL done KS!!!! I wish more would do it.

In Australia it is usually compulsary in High school to achieve at least level two first aid. I'm level three which means I get to use the machine that goes 'Beep' not a great leap from the neccesary componant of CPR. Do they not teach it in your high schools?

Well they hadn't when I was in high school. Perhaps they do in vocational high schools pertaining to the medical profession.

I'm not opposed at all to make this training compulsory in high school but I'd rather see the certification requirements be more precise. High school students graduating without the ability to read and write past a 2nd grade(8-9 year old) level is very worrying in my mind!, I can only imagine the utter horror they'd inflict on the victim! "It's ok I know CPR!!!!! *Stabs victim in neck with bic pen!*"

But yes the CPR training is mandatory for my course in becoming a Pharmacy Technician...
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

It was compulsary in my high school ......Ummm let me think I have to use my fingers to count back so I have to stop typing ............14 from 41 ? ummm = ....27 years ago it was compulsary at my school and it's compulsary at my childrens high school . It's compulsary that they get their bronze medellion for swimming and compulsary for them to achieve their "bronze duke of edinbourgh". All of which requires level two first aid.

I've had to update mine several times over the years but get pissed off with it because they keep changing the counts of compression. They seem to have acquired a whole industry around CPR education. money money money.

Oh and nippers learn it at a very young age. between 8 and 11 years years old.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bump!...

Odie

Post by Odie »

K.Snyder;1293016 wrote: Bump!...

congrats Kevin for doing the course, job well done!:-6
Life is just to short for drama.
mrsK

Post by mrsK »

Good for you once again:-6:-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I received my certification card Thursday evening...

I thought I'd mention it in case anyone wished to move!

:yh_tong2!

:yh_winks!

:yh_kisses!

:yh_drools!

:yh_laughs!

:yh_tong2!

:yh_winks!

:yh_kisses!
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Who believes making CPR a mandatory credit in school is a good idea?

I most certainly do!
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

K.Snyder;1295536 wrote: Who believes making CPR a mandatory credit in school is a good idea?

I most certainly do!

I agree and offering it to kids as extra credit to retake it every year would be great. :-6

It's funny that with all the things I've done in recent years, the sense of accomplishment after giving up an evening to train in this was very gratifying.:thinking:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Great job Kevin I have been certified for decades I now have a "how to app" on my IPHONE in case I need it. The newest (well not new been around awhile) gimich is doing CPR the the beat of the BG's "Staying Alive".

[QUOTE]

As it turns out, the Bee Gees' classic Stayin' Alive has a beat that's almost exactly 100 beats per minute - the same rate the American Heart Association recommends for chest compressions during CPR.

The University of Illinois medical school studied the effect the song had on keeping time during CPR. Five weeks after practicing CPR with the song playing on an iPod, doctors at the medical school were able to hum along without the music and keep time just a little bit faster than 100 per minute, which is perfectly fine when we're talking about chest compressions. Stayin' alive,

Stayin' alive,

Ha...ah...ah...ah

(this part is exactly 100 beats per minute)

Stayin' a-li-ive This tip helps rescuers keep the proper rate while doing CPR. Going too slow doesn't generate enough blood flow, and going too fast doesn't allow the heart to fill properly between compressions. Humming along with the Bee Gees is one way to stay on track.

[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

K.Snyder;1289533 wrote: I've just passed my CPR training and thought I'd bring the importance of CPR to everyone's attention! If you know CPR then read it again! :yh_rotfl :yh_wink

Sometimes it's all too easy to assume one knows what the hell they're doing just by simply watching someone push on somebody's chest and blow air into their mouths but I think that the CPR courses not only allows one to know the finer details involved with saving someone's life!,..yes saving their life!,..but I think going through the course also acts:yh_wink to initiate a response with minimal hesitation when faced with a situation that demands it!

Cardiopulmonary resuscitation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Compressing someone's chest has nothing to do with trying to get the victim to breath rather assists in the hearts already slowed responsibility in pumping oxygenated blood to the rest of the body(Courteous of the left atrium-Yes all but allow me to be smart would ya please! :yh_wait) Wait, WAIT we have a man lying face down unconscious and you hadn't seen him fall WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU DO!??!??!?

Cardiopulmonary resuscitation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Let's get CRACKING!!!!!!!! :yh_wink!!!!!!!!

Pump...

Return to “Health Wellness”