A Question on My Exercise Routine

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Sometimes when I am exercising, and have done a half hour or so of it, I feel funny. Usually I only exercise at the gym in the afternoon, but it happens once in awhile nearing the end of a TKD session. It doesn't really end for awhile, 30-60 minutes, and then I am very tired afterwards for the rest of the day.

Health Status:

54 years old

140 lb

1200-1500 caloric intake daily

I eat pretty good, mostly fruits and veggies, low carbs

Activities:

10 miles on the bike, up to 5 on resistance

2 miles on treadmill, speed 3.2 +, uphill 2-3

TKD session: 50-60 minutes, they say that is the highest calorie burning activity, about 650+/hour

Symptoms:

light and colors change, they become brighter

feeling of being light headed

If at the gym I usually slow down on the bike or treadmill then get off. At TKD I usually continue, having the disadvantage of being the oldest, always the slowest anyway, and worry I will never get to complete my training.

I am interested in opinions, if it is just age and something to take in stride. (because I am the type that would continue to do the activity, I do at TKD, but at the gym I worry more about getting home to take care of stuff) I have been lazy and not worn my watch that monitors heartbeat, but I usually never go beyond 100-105 anyway, even on the treadmill it stays around 90.

Just wanted some input, I complained about it once to the doctor and he said there was nothing wrong with me. And maybe it is just age, although this is the most active I have ever been in my life.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

I'd say your calorific output was well higher than your intake and your body cannot supply you with the energy you need.

Your basal metabolic rate is likely to be 1200 to 1300 Kcal / day and normal activity will add 1000 to that. On top of that you're burning another 750 in exercise so you're burning about 3000 Kcal / day.

On an input of 1200 to 1500 Kcal / day your body is struggling to cope and complains - reasonably enough I'd say.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Sounds like your not eating enough for the amount of physical activity your doing. I would also see your physician and advise him/her of what is happening when you exercise. Might be something you need to know about so you can adjust your physical activity.

[QUOTE]Symptoms:

light and colors change, they become brighter

feeling of being light headed[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Odie

Post by Odie »

have you had your eyes checked?

sounds to me like your not eating enough for what you put out in exercise.

if your putting out more calories than your eating........all kinds of things can happen.

you should buy a counter and see how many calories you are losing daily.
Life is just to short for drama.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I don't allow numbers into my life Chonsi but you so need more Carbs.

why diets and people think carbs are a bad thing I'll never know.:-5 Carbs are what gives us the strength to exercise without killing ourselves.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Has your doc done a TSH test of your blood? The thyroid works like a carburetor in a car and can be responsible for diminishing energy levels. The other thing I would check out are your potassium and magnesium levels. I would ask for a CBC (complete blood count). In the absence of this test there is no way your doctor could say for sure that there is no problem.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

ahh and that's what I mean by numbers Lon. People are obsessed with numbers . Humans are too different to be set on a scale or average of numbers. It doesn't mean a thing.

Example. I have a friend with gout. His Uric acid levels are perfect. He gets pains in the chest . Heart is perfect. He drinks more than just a little . His Kidneys and liver are perfect. In fact all the counts they have done makes him look like he's 20 years younger than he actually is.

So why did all his friends want to call an ambulance for him the other night? and why did he writhe in pain on my couch for 24 hours?

Apparently there is nothing wrong with him.
Lon

Post by Lon »

[quote=fuzzywuzzy;1225307]ahh and that's what I mean by numbers Lon. People are obsessed with numbers . Humans are too different to be set on a scale or average of numbers. It doesn't mean a thing.

Lon said:

Oh Fuzzy--------you are sooo wrong. Each item on a CBC test takes into consideration the differences in people by having a range like 2.5 to 7.5 and people falling within that range for example would be OK, outside of a particular range or set of numbers and being high or low in conjunction with other items on the CBC could indicate a possible disease. A CBC is a great diagnostic tool used by physicians in the early detection of many diseases and along with MRI's, exray, BMB (bone marrow biopsy), tissue biopsies etc. I am alive and kickin thanks to some numbers that were not in the normal range and early detection and treatment did the trick
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Thank you all-I will ask about the THS test, because my father had thyroid problems and I remember he took something for it, I will have to ask my mom what for.

No, I don't diet, my weight has stabilized at this point now for the last two to three years. It hasn't dropped anymore-but that was from overwork and the extra chores at home. I don't eat alot of carbs, because of celiac problems. My metabolism used to run slow, I think it runs high now instead.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

chonsigirl;1225399 wrote: Thank you all-I will ask about the THS test, because my father had thyroid problems and I remember he took something for it, I will have to ask my mom what for.

No, I don't diet, my weight has stabilized at this point now for the last two to three years. It hasn't dropped anymore-but that was from overwork and the extra chores at home. I don't eat alot of carbs, because of celiac problems. My metabolism used to run slow, I think it runs high now instead.

Whether it's an intentional diet or not, the energy equation does not add up.

If the figures you give are anywhere near accurate then your body is having to burn reserves and, if no glycogen reserves are available in he liver you will suffer the symptoms described.

At this point the body will burn a mixture of fat from storage and protein from your muscle mass to get the energy it needs.
lou lou belle

Post by lou lou belle »

chonsigirl;1225399 wrote: Thank you all-I will ask about the THS test, because my father had thyroid problems and I remember he took something for it, I will have to ask my mom what for.

I think you should maybe take your age into consideration, you may be lacking in certain vitamins. Also dont forget to up your calcium levels. Too much exersise can have an effect on your joints etc.

I love exerise it's been a part of my life since i can remember. I dont feel alive unless i have had my 5 mile run in the morning.

Keep doing what your doing but ensure you are eating the correct foods.

Also try swimming this will take any undue pressure on your joints and is a great overall way of keeping fit.:-6

My mum is 64 and she has just taken up hill walking, its a fab way of keeping fit and enjoying the countryside.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

My mum is 64 and she has just taken up hill walking, its a fab way of keeping fit and enjoying the countryside.

Good for her. Just want to check she knows what she's doing with map and compass and to let people know where she's going and when due back etc etc.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
lou lou belle

Post by lou lou belle »

Clodhopper;1225479 wrote: Good for her. Just want to check she knows what she's doing with map and compass and to let people know where she's going and when due back etc etc.

She goes with a group of ramblers, i dont think she goes on her own, or at least i hope not.

She still does things that some women in their 20's would,nt dare.

I hope i,m like her when i,m 64. She's still got it going on. :)
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

She goes with a group of ramblers

That's grand. Because they aren't big by international standards, people tend to underestimate how dangerous it can be on our hills and mountains - mostly due to speed of weather change.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
lou lou belle

Post by lou lou belle »

Clodhopper;1226089 wrote: That's grand. Because they aren't big by international standards, people tend to underestimate how dangerous it can be on our hills and mountains - mostly due to speed of weather change.

God yeah. I often walk on Dartmoor with my hubby, and it can change so quickly. Luckily we both know how to map read and are experienced walkers.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

You might try supplementing your work outs with a high energy protien drink.

GNC has a nice selection of products. Whey is a beneficial intake source.

You cant start burning and building then not increase your nutrient intake.

The powdered drinks are even better than a food source because it almost immediately enters your blood stream while protien foods like red meat are harder to digest.

Plus with all of the vitamins and minerals your introducing it provides better all around physical and mental health.
I AM AWESOME MAN
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Thank you Nomad, I shall stop at GNC on the way to the gym today and try some.:)
Odie

Post by Odie »

chonsigirl;1226141 wrote: Thank you Nomad, I shall stop at GNC on the way to the gym today and try some.:)

a great energy booster is yogurt and a banana mixed up in a blender...or any other fruit...........
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, I love smoothies. I had one Monday at the train station from Ben and Jerries.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

chonsigirl;1226141 wrote: Thank you Nomad, I shall stop at GNC on the way to the gym today and try some.:)

Me too. Its on my list of to do's today.

Creatine is also a popular supplement. Ask the clerk about it and decide if its right for you.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Odie

Post by Odie »

chonsigirl;1226151 wrote: Oh, I love smoothies. I had one Monday at the train station from Ben and Jerries.

they are good, especially when it's hot out......

mine get soooo nice and thick, plus I add ice cubes.

Return to “Health Wellness”