Self diagnosis - Do you think the worst?

buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Example - you find a lump in your breast, do you automatically think you have breast cancer? Do you panic, phone the doctor and demand to be seen right away?

Or

Do you think there are many possibilities for your lump, stay calm, accept an appointment later in the week and hardly think about it up until the appointment?

This of course is only one example so feel free to cover other area's / symptoms in your response.
mrsK

Post by mrsK »

buttercup;1178139 wrote: Example - you find a lump in your breast, do you automatically think you have breast cancer? Do you panic, phone the doctor and demand to be seen right away?

Or

Do you think there are many possibilities for your lump, stay calm, accept an appointment later in the week and hardly think about it up until the appointment?

This of course is only one example so feel free to cover other area's / symptoms in your response.

Having found that lump.

A mastectomy followed.

Chemo followed that.

Any lump I find on my body or on any of our family it is panic stations.

red alert,red alert,red alert
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
Peg

Post by Peg »

buttercup;1178139 wrote: Example - you find a lump in your breast, do you automatically think you have breast cancer? Do you panic, phone the doctor and demand to be seen right away?

Or

I think the worst, demand to be seen ASAP, and hope for great relief by finding out it is nothing.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

It depends, let’s say it is something I have a fever or something, no I do not panic thinking it is meningitis or anything like that, but let’s say that I get some symptoms like….. let’s say Bell’s Palsy….. then I would get to a feck’n doctor asap…. (sound familiar??) :-5
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

:yh_rotfl

Point taken :wah: I'm going tomorrow.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Not that I've your difficulty, but yes, if I'm worried I get to the Quack and ask ASAP. I've done this a couple of times, nothing apparently serious so far! They *could*, of course, be wrong, which is a worry.

There are a number of conditions that you could have, the "no worry" ones outweigh the "Argh!" ones.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Hi Bill

I'm not worried at all about my present condition, maybe i should be but its not how i function and i see little point in getting myself worked up until i have reason to be worked up.

I cant be the only person who stays calm until they have a diagnosis? Surely its better for your mental health to stay positive until you know for sure?

As far as a lump goes of course i believe you should have it checked out but lumps can appear just because you are menstruating so i would tend to think about that first other than automatically jump to the conclusion i have cancer. Do you see what i mean? I'm not suggesting anyone does not get checked just that people in general seem to think the worst possible outcome first.
Odie

Post by Odie »

I did find a lump in my breast.......it was cancer and went through surgery to remove it, chemo and radiation.

any lump now I panic, its just normal.
Life is just to short for drama.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

buttercup;1178224 wrote: I cant be the only person who stays calm until they have a diagnosis? Surely its better for your mental health to stay positive until you know for sure?

I'm not suggesting anyone does not get checked just that people in general seem to think the worst possible outcome first.

Stay calm, yes - but I think many people worrk a lot until the problem, if any, is known!

Think the worst? Human nature, possibly - see "Three Men in a Boat":

Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome 0
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Take all lumps serious and get to the Doctor ASAP. Don't play around with your life be smart get it checked out.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Odie i can understand why you would panic going through what you have and maybe using 'lump' as a scenario is not the best choice for me to have used.

It just seems to me that when anyone has any symptoms of anything we tend to assume the worst possible outcome and brush that off as 'its normal' to think the worst.

Why is it normal to think the worst, why is it abnormal to assume everythings going to be ok?
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

CARLA;1178238 wrote: Take all lumps serious and get to the Doctor ASAP. Don't play around with your life be smart get it checked out.

Sorry Carla i should clarify here that i dont have a lump and was using it as an example (probably a bad one on reflection) that people automatically think the worst before even having seen a doctor. Why does everyone always think the worst first?
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Why do we always think the worst first probably because we don't have all the facts necessary to make a good decision. Or we choose to think the worst and then become so fearful we do nothing about it and that is dangerous.

I for one want to arm myself with as many facts, and as much knowledge as I possible can on any subject so I can be AWARE and INFORMED about it ignorance could kill you if medical attention isn't received in time.

[QUOTE]Sorry Carla i should clarify here that i dont have a lump and was using it as an example (probably a bad one on reflection) that people automatically think the worst before even having seen a doctor. Why does everyone always think the worst first?[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

G-man

Post by G-man »

I've discovered that I'm quite the medical oddball... :wah: When something isn't quite right, I do tend to believe the best, but it always seems to end up being the worst. :yh_rotfl Fortunately for me, I've been involved in two medical miracles so far... I believe that I'm about due for a third one soon, too. :-6

I seem to be a medical oddball, in that my symptoms tend to be the precise opposite of what others have for a particular disease. I also have a tendency to react to drugs in quite the opposite manner in which they are intended, too. Ie. drugs that tend to make folks drowsy tend to make me more energetic...

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Self diagnosis....have always been right on the pregnancies...3 outta 4 and even had the due dates in mind....and was usually right on.:-4
G-man

Post by G-man »

qsducks;1178406 wrote: Self diagnosis....have always been right on the pregnancies...3 outta 4 and even had the due dates in mind....and was usually right on.:-4

Oh com'on! How difficult is it to diagnose your own pregnancy? You know you had intercourse, you know that your body feels a bit different, you're craving dill pickles smothered in mayonnaise, chili sauce, chocolate, sardines and grape jelly, that you missed your period, etc., etc. and if you're not sure, you pee on the thingy and hCG levels are detected... Dr. Gregory House wouldn't even bother with such amateur issues... :wah::wah::wah:

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Or

I'm one of the dumb ones who tends to think the best and I'll not visit the doctors unless I have to.

One advantage of this is that, when I go to the doctor I have never had to wait for an appointment, I've always been seen that session.

The disadvantage? Well once I went in feeling dreadful only to be told that I was recovering from viral meningitis and another time I was rushed into hospital with pneumonia.

I am, however, still here :-6
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Well i fully expect to visit the doctor in the morning and be told i have bells palsy or something similar. I will be completely amazed if he sends me for a brain scan or thinks its anything worse. I dont think its dumb to think positive if it helps the person.

If i have a tumour it will be crap but thinking i have a tumour before my appointment is hardly likely to help me it will just stress me out when the chances are very high that i do not need to be stressed so i'm all for staying calm.
farmer giles

Post by farmer giles »

i try not to diagnos myself :thinking:

if you read anything about illnesses by the end of the page i'm convinced i had it ...i would not mind but i was reading a pregnancy book :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Return to “Health Wellness”