I think ive got Bell's Palsy

buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Anyone know much about this?

My mouth feels a bit like it does when you get it frozen at the dentist, its drooped at one side and my eye is watering like mad. My arms are fine so doubt ive had a mini stroke, my symptoms seem to suggest Bell's Palsy?. Ive made an appointment at the doc's on Wednesday to clarify.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

buttercup;1177516 wrote: Anyone know much about this?

My mouth feels a bit like it does when you get it frozen at the dentist, its drooped at one side and my eye is watering like mad. My arms are fine so doubt ive had a mini stroke, my symptoms seem to suggest Bell's Palsy?. Ive made an appointment at the doc's on Wednesday to clarify.

My grandmother suffered from this but I don't know anything about it. Yes, good that you are going to the doctor...good luck BC.:)
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

A doctor’s appointment for Wednesday?? For feck sake, get to a hospital…. now

Don’t self diagnose yourself, something is wrong, get it checked out.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I would agree no time to waste here go to the hospital you need to be seen immediately.

[QUOTE]A doctor’s appointment for Wednesday?? For feck sake, get to a hospital…. now

Don’t self diagnose yourself, something is wrong, get it checked out.[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Hi Mik :-4

Dont fret sweetie, it started last night and i'm absolutely fine apart from not looking very attractive. There's nothing to suggest its anything more than Bells at the moment, if there were, i'd go.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Thanks Carla .......Eek wish i'd never said nothing now :lips:

Its really not giving me any problems, if any further symptoms develop i will call the surgery to speak to a duty doctor, promise ;)
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

buttercup;1177522 wrote: Hi Mik :-4

Dont fret sweetie, it started last night and i'm absolutely fine apart from not looking very attractive. There's nothing to suggest its anything more than Bells at the moment, if there were, i'd go.

OK then, hope it is nothing serious and good luck :)
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

By the way are you pregnant? (if you don't mind me asking). My wife had Bell’s for about 3 or 4 weeks in the early months of her first pregnancy. Apparently it is just something that can happen.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

No ive had a hysterectomy years ago so no fear of that. Bell's is apparently quite common and that seems to be the most likely cause at the moment. How long did your wife have it Mik?

I see some people saying a few weeks and others years !! Dont fancy looking like this for years :-3
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

buttercup;1177530 wrote: No ive had a hysterectomy years ago so no fear of that. Bell's is apparently quite common and that seems to be the most likely cause at the moment. How long did your wife have it Mik?

I see some people saying a few weeks and others years !! Dont fancy looking like this for years :-3
My 24 yr old son has had 3 bouts of Bells palsy in the last 4 yrs. It lasted a couple of weeks on each occasion. Stress seems to be one cause. He hasn't had one for over a year now. I also have a 50 something friend who got it about 8 yrs ago and his facial problems still exist today. They say you just never know for sure how long or whether it will heal itself or not but most of the time it is just a couple of weeks.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

So sorry to hear this BC but I do agree with the others - the sooner you get treatment the better and the less it's likely to become permanent.

Here's hoping that it's only a minor attack and soon over :-6

Keep us posted on you progress
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Let us know what the doc' says, BC. I hope you are better soon. :-4
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Oh Buttercup, I hope not....Keep us posted:-4

Feel better.....

Peg

Post by Peg »

:-5 Go :-5 to :-5 an :-5 emergency :-5 room :-5 NOW! :-5
G-man

Post by G-man »

mikeinie;1177519 wrote: A doctor’s appointment for Wednesday?? For feck sake, get to a hospital…. now

Don’t self diagnose yourself, something is wrong, get it checked out.

Absolutely!

Bell's palsy is a diagnosis of exclusion it's commonly referred to as cryptogenic, meaning that the cause is unknown. If you've had a mild stroke, been bitten by a tick or have signs of having a brain tumor or something, then there's another name for it. Whatever it is, please don't try to self-diagnose on WebMD... see a doctor immediately! Your symptoms could be caused by any number of things.

I found a good link here: http://www.healthcentral.com/ency/408/003028.html

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Good Morning :-4

Must say thank you everyone for being so caring but i have seen this condition in many others over the years and am aware that there is no cure for it so seems pointless for me to get all worked up or stressed, i feel quite calm, just rather ugly.

No further symptoms have developed and i have an appointment tomorrow. If i had a brain tumour i'd know about it by now, if i'd had a mild stroke my arm would also have been affected and its not but i do thank you G-man for the link, interesting reading.

All the doctor will do is look at my symptoms as i have myself and i'd be willing to bet he wont send me for a brain scan and if he does it wont be this week. Other than that what are they going to do with me, keep me in a bed in hospital bored out my skull when i could be at home, i'll pass on that one.

This is probably a good idea for a thread or debate on how people react to symptoms tho, think i'll start one ;)
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Just to confirm for those who asked for an update. I attended my appointment this morning and have Bells palsy. I'd be keen to chat to others who have had this condition, share hints ect. My dogs are not happy at me wearing an eye patch and continually try to jump up to get it off my face which is a bit annoying but they must be wondering what the hell it is and just trying to help :wah:
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

buttercup;1178702 wrote: Just to confirm for those who asked for an update. I attended my appointment this morning and have Bells palsy. I'd be keen to chat to others who have had this condition, share hints ect. My dogs are not happy at me wearing an eye patch and continually try to jump up to get it off my face which is a bit annoying but they must be wondering what the hell it is and just trying to help :wah:

Here's hoping for a quick and total return to full health :-6
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

mikeinie;1177527 wrote: By the way are you pregnant? (if you don't mind me asking). My wife had Bell’s for about 3 or 4 weeks in the early months of her first pregnancy. Apparently it is just something that can happen.

I had carpel tunnel syndrome in both wrists while preggars with 2 of my 4 kids.:-5
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I'm glad you went to the doctor and know what it is, I hope the symptoms go away soon for you. :-4
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

chonsigirl;1178918 wrote: I'm glad you went to the doctor and know what it is, I hope the symptoms go away soon for you. :-4

chons, I had to wear splints on both wrists for almost 6 months. But yeah I hope she is feeling better too.
ntvinh986

Post by ntvinh986 »

Thanks you for the post.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Another troll.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Return to “Health Wellness”