Tuberculosis! Need Info Please!

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Without going into the long sordid tale, my best friend's husband through work, has been infected with TB. One of the convenience store owners, a guy from India, knew he had it and refused to close his business or so much as wear a mask. he has infected several people in the local area including an 80 year old woman.

He is now in jail.

My friend's husband tested positive and got the news today.

I'm too young to remember the plague that was TB but I know there are others here who might know about it. Is it as bad and hard to treat as it was then? I know people had to go to sanitariums to get well. Do they just treat it with antibiotics now? It seems very scary.

I am very close with my friend and we see each other often. She's getting tested. Do I need to get tested too? In fact we're going out this evening. Is this irresponsible?

Where can I get some reliable facts about TB today??

Thank you.

Your worried forum member.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I use this site alot or WEBMD when I need information on illnesses. Also your County Health Department should be able to provide all the information you need. What a tragedy this man had no consinous period.

http://www.medicinenet.com/tuberculosis/article.htm

YES GET TESTED..
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Odie

Post by Odie »

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=we ... 1dZoJQBEmQ

this one is good, try it.

its very treatable, sounds like some hospital time and medications will cure him.

so damn sorry to hear this!
Life is just to short for drama.
valerie

Post by valerie »

Kinda depends on what strain it is... some of them can be much

harder to treat... do you remember hearing about that guy on the

news a while back that took an airplane flight and they thought he had a

bad strain?

I think you'll probably be fine... interesting this guy is jailed... that's

one of the questions on the survey before you give blood (at least

here it is) because of close quarters in jail surroundings being more

likely to give it to you!!

If it's in the news maybe you can get some info from the media, they

usually publish numbers for health dept. or whatever.

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Thank you everyone for all the information. The news now is that my friend's husband tested positive for EXPOSURE to TB and not positive for having it. They are going to do a chest x ray and run more tests and re-test him in 3 months. He has to be on antibiotics for nine months. The nurse swears that my friend (his wife) doesn't need to be tested and guarantees she cannot have gotten it from her husband if she has it but she's getting tested anyway. So maybe things are a little better than what we thought before. I guess I'm one of those people who hears "TB" and freaks.

I will study these links you have given me and I really appreciate them! Thank you.
Odie

Post by Odie »

RedGlitter;980344 wrote: Thank you everyone for all the information. The news now is that my friend's husband tested positive for EXPOSURE to TB and not positive for having it. They are going to do a chest x ray and run more tests and re-test him in 3 months. He has to be on antibiotics for nine months. The nurse swears that my friend (his wife) doesn't need to be tested and guarantees she cannot have gotten it from her husband if she has it but she's getting tested anyway. So maybe things are a little better than what we thought before. I guess I'm one of those people who hears "TB" and freaks.

I will study these links you have given me and I really appreciate them! Thank you.

oh Red, so happy to hear this!
Life is just to short for drama.

Return to “Health Wellness”