Poison Ivy...

K.Snyder

Poison Ivy...

Post by K.Snyder »

After doing a couple landscaping projects both personal as well as business oriented I have been riddled with poison ivy...Out of my 26 year existence I have always thought that poison ivy was contagious just by the rashes...Apparently it isn't...

But I know many people out there get it, and I also realize that many people may know nothing about it at the same time I'm wondering if poison ivy is prevalent in the UK or other countries as well...I remember talking with a friend of mine from the UK and I believe she had told me that she never sees it there and that it doesn't really grow in the UK...

Poison Ivy:

Unfortunately, many of us are more familiar with the allergic rash caused by the plant than we are with the plant itself.

Poison ivy typically grows as a vine but may also assume a shrub form. It can be found growing up the trunk of a tree as well as across the ground, sending up shoots through the garden mulch or leaf litter. The plant can be identified by its characteristic compound leaf, which consists of three leaflets. As can be seen in the picture, two leaflets are attached opposite each other at their base while the center leaflet has a longer stem (petiole). If you can look for this leaf shape, you are much less likely to come in contact with poison ivy. The color of the leaves will vary with the season. In summer they are a deep green but in early spring and the fall they will be red to red-yellow (In fact the plant is quite pretty in the fall). The vine has a characteristic form as well. As it grows up the trunk of a tree it will have a great number of rootlets holding it tight to the bark of the tree. This is quite different than is seen with other vining plants such as wild grape. Some folks mistakenly identify the harmless (and quite beautiful) Virginia creeper as poison ivy so we have included a picture of that as well. It has five leaflets rather than three and they all arise from a central part of the leaf.

The rash of poison ivy is caused by the urushiol that is in its leaves and vines. The oil is clear and therefore cannot be seen on the skin and may stay active for years on any surface including dead plants and vines. It is not uncommon for physicians to see cases where people have carried firewood that had some poison ivy residue on them and resulted in a rash. You can also come in contact with the oil through smoke if the plant is burned in a fire. This can result in an allergic response throughout your airway.

Approximately half the population is allergic to poison ivy, and some more so than others. In fact, many people who think they are “immune” will have a reaction if the exposure to the oil is strong enough (including the author).

Like many medical conditions, the best treatment for this condition is prevention. First, become familiar with the appearance of the plant and try to identify it before you are exposed. If you have it in your yard or garden apply some herbicide (RoundUp) as the plant is very sensitive to this. The second technique is to wash with soap and water as soon as possible after a known or possible exposure. Soap and water do a good job of breaking down the oil. If it is a known exposure, interrupt your activity to wash up immediately. On the other hand, if you have been doing a high-risk activity such as weeding an overgrown flowerbed, showering as soon as possible would be a good idea.

If despite these techniques you still come down with the rash there are some other things you can do. Over the counter medicines that may lessen your symptoms include Benadryl (oral or topical), hydrocortisone cream, Aveeno Bath Powder, and Calamine lotion. If your rash is more severe, you may need to be seen in the office for a steroid injection, a stronger steroid cream, or a course of oral steroids.

Another important point is that poison ivy is not contagious. Once you a have taken a shower or bath you will not spread the condition on yourself or to others. Contrary to folk wisdom the fluid in the blisters and oozing from the rash cannot spread the condition. The rash may seem to be spreading over the course of several days but what actually happens is that the areas with the heavy oil contact show up first and those with less oil contact show up days later.

The other plants that are frequently mentioned with poison ivy include poison oak and poison sumac. Neither of them is found in this part of the country.

This spring and summer take the time to learn how to identify poison ivy. Remember, “If leaves be three then let it be”.

Submitted by:

Dr. Patrick Burns

Summit Medical Group

Covington Family Practice

http://www.summitmedical.org/new_site/n ... ison%20Ivy
CARLA

Poison Ivy...

Post by CARLA »

Dang I though Poison Ivy grew every where. :-2
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

qsducks

Poison Ivy...

Post by qsducks »

Do not sit on my deck at the moment as a vine of the stuff grew up under the deck and onto a chair. I need gloves to remove it. Not allergic, but hubby is:-5
Carolly

Poison Ivy...

Post by Carolly »

I live in a cottage that is covered with Ivy......have it everywhere in the Garden also....I love it.....although I know its doing my place no good:-5:(:rolleyes:
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
qsducks

Poison Ivy...

Post by qsducks »

Carolly;931299 wrote: I live in a cottage that is covered with Ivy......have it everywhere in the Garden also....I love it.....although I know its doing my place no good:-5:(:rolleyes:

If you have brickwork, it will ruin it.
Carolly

Poison Ivy...

Post by Carolly »

qsducks;931302 wrote: If you have brickwork, it will ruin it.The cottage is made out of larve and plaster and brickwork and yes I know yer right:mad::thinking:
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
qsducks

Poison Ivy...

Post by qsducks »

My mom has ivy in her yard and every year I used to have to clean it, it was awful. A giant weed pain in the arse routine:-5:-5. The whole 9 yards of cutting, blaha, blah, so glad it's not in my yard. Pretty to look at, but a pain to maintain.
Carolly

Poison Ivy...

Post by Carolly »

qsducks;931313 wrote: My mom has ivy in her yard and every year I used to have to clean it, it was awful. A giant weed pain in the arse routine:-5:-5. The whole 9 yards of cutting, blaha, blah, so glad it's not in my yard. Pretty to look at, but a pain to maintain.
Why did you clean it.......we dont here....just let nature do that.:confused::-3
qsducks

Poison Ivy...

Post by qsducks »

Carolly;931326 wrote: Why did you clean it.......we dont here....just let nature do that.:confused::-3

Teen punishment times:wah: When I was a naughty teen. Course, I don't do it anymore as I just send my teens over to do it for grandma
K.Snyder

Poison Ivy...

Post by K.Snyder »

qsducks;931313 wrote: My mom has ivy in her yard and every year I used to have to clean it, it was awful. A giant weed pain in the arse routine:-5:-5. The whole 9 yards of cutting, blaha, blah, so glad it's not in my yard. Pretty to look at, but a pain to maintain.

I've read that poison ivy is extremely sensitive to weed killers, and that when sprayed with most weed killers that it actually dies within a day or two...

When I started the job that I was on I had given the person an estimate as the Sun was going down it was rather dark outside...If I had known it was riddled with as much poison ivy I would have told him the earliest I could get to it would have been yesterday(Which would have been two days after I had completed the work that had taken me two days to finish)...

Now I'm literally covered in poison ivy all over my arms, legs and body...I've never had it this bad...

So :mad: irritating...
chonsigirl

Poison Ivy...

Post by chonsigirl »

Calomine lotion helps some with the itching......

Oh, so awful to get that in the hot summer time...
K.Snyder

Poison Ivy...

Post by K.Snyder »

chonsigirl;931643 wrote: Calomine lotion helps some with the itching......

Oh, so awful to get that in the hot summer time...

:wah:...

I literally just finished putting some on...
K.Snyder

Poison Ivy...

Post by K.Snyder »

Here are some pictures of poison ivy...It's characteristics are weed like plants that grow both from the ground as well as off of trees...They have 3 leaves and will drive you completely and utterly insane...

Attached files
K.Snyder

Poison Ivy...

Post by K.Snyder »

This happens to be my favorite picture of poison ivy...

southern yankee

Poison Ivy...

Post by southern yankee »

in La. I guess it is JUST RIGHT for the evil vines. :mad:you can poison it, chop it, burn it.:mad: i will be damned the evil vines are back with vengens. I get it at least 4 or 5 times a year ITCH ITCH ITCH. my sister in-law and a neighbor trys to get rid of it for us. we are not home when they burn it. then our dogs will give it to us too:(. It is the pits!! My late father in-law said to eat it. well he was a little off his nut. so i would NEVER try that.:wah:
qsducks

Poison Ivy...

Post by qsducks »

My neighbor is so sensitive to it that he refuses to cut his grass and get's his sons to do it for him and when they are done they both have to automatically have a shower.
southern yankee

Poison Ivy...

qsducks;931826 wrote: My neighbor is so sensitive to it that he refuses to cut his grass and get's his sons to do it for him and when they are done they both have to automatically have a shower. that is my hubby and myself. the more you catch it the worse it gets. you think it would be the other way around.:mad:
qsducks

Poison Ivy...

Post by qsducks »

I have to cover it with a tarp and let it die naturally, like it ever does:p, but enough so I can get it out.
K.Snyder

Poison Ivy...

Post by K.Snyder »

southern yankee;931767 wrote: in La. I guess it is JUST RIGHT for the evil vines. :mad:you can poison it, chop it, burn it.:mad: i will be damned the evil vines are back with vengens. I get it at least 4 or 5 times a year ITCH ITCH ITCH. my sister in-law and a neighbor trys to get rid of it for us. we are not home when they burn it. then our dogs will give it to us too:(. It is the pits!! My late father in-law said to eat it. well he was a little off his nut. so i would NEVER try that.:wah:

I would sincerely not suggest eating it...Would be the worst irritation known to mankind...

On that note I highly suggest taking strenuous caution when burning it...You can be infected with poison ivy by the smoke and when inhaling it you can infect your lungs as well and is seriously bad...I believe some cases may have even caused death...

Please take strenuous caution when burning it...
southern yankee

Poison Ivy...

K.Snyder;931880 wrote: I would sincerely not suggest eating it...Would be the worst irritation known to mankind...

On that note I highly suggest taking strenuous caution when burning it...You can be infected with poison ivy by the smoke and when inhaling it you can infect your lungs as well and is seriously bad...I believe some cases may have even caused death...

Please take strenuous caution when burning it...
yes it will kill you.
qsducks

Poison Ivy...

Post by qsducks »

Southern yankee posted that she & hubby are away when they burn it kev. IDK, I think I would just cut it down and burn it somewhere else. I mean, doesn't the residue stick to your house?
K.Snyder

Poison Ivy...

Post by K.Snyder »

southern yankee;931891 wrote: yes it will kill you.

I think I would rather jump in the fire...
K.Snyder

Poison Ivy...

Post by K.Snyder »

qsducks;931894 wrote: Southern yankee posted that she & hubby are away when they burn it kev. IDK, I think I would just cut it down and burn it somewhere else. I mean, doesn't the residue stick to your house?

I'm quite sure it does...

I wouldn't suggest burning it at all...That's just insane...
qsducks

Poison Ivy...

Post by qsducks »

What's the alternative?
K.Snyder

Poison Ivy...

Post by K.Snyder »

qsducks;931901 wrote: What's the alternative?

Suit up in coveralls and go spray it with weed killer...

It should die within a couple of days...
qsducks

Poison Ivy...

Post by qsducks »

I know you can cover it up with tarps to keep it out of the sun. That's what we did, but it did come back with a vengence. I'm not allergic to it, but hubby sure is.
southern yankee

Poison Ivy...

K.Snyder;931903 wrote: Suit up in coveralls and go spray it with weed killer...

It should die within a couple of days... not this stuff here. you have to chop it. poising works for just a few weeks then it ia all over again. in all new places. it is a endless battle.:mad:
K.Snyder

Poison Ivy...

Post by K.Snyder »

qsducks;931901 wrote: What's the alternative?

1. Recognize poison ivy. It's a vine with groups of 3 pointy leaves, the middle leaf has a slightly longer stem than the two on the side. It sends runners under the ground and can climb up into trees. It can grow just about anywhere.

2. Use a glyphosphate-based herbicide to kill the plants, such as Roundup. Mix Roundup Concentrate herbicide with water, 3 times normal strength.

* Don't use ready-mixed Roundup, it's not strong enough for poison ivy.

* Put it in a sprayer, like an empty window cleaner sprayer. Read instructions on the Roundup label. Label the sprayer and keep it for only this purpose, in a safe place.

3. On a day that is not windy or about to rain, spray thoroughly to coat all poison ivy leaves with the solution.

* Wear long pants, long-sleeve shirts, gloves of plastic over cotton, socks and fully enclosed shoes or boots

* Try not to get solution on the plants you like, they will die. Plants take the herbicide in through their leaves, then the plant dies.

* The poison ivy should turn yellow and die in a couple of weeks.

4. Dig down into the soil at least 8 inches and remove all of the roots.

* This will help prevent future regrowth.

* Please make sure you keep your gloves on when digging, or you will get the rash as even dead stalks can give you the rash.

5. Wait to use soap & water until AFTER cleansing with rubbing alcohol, vinegar, mineral spirits or commercial cleanser like Technu.

6. Check the area several times a year and take steps to kill the poison ivy.

* Do this for several years, because where there's poison ivy there's probably more you haven't seen yet.

* Poison ivy is very persistent; it will come back from roots that are not killed or removed.

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Poison-Ivy-Plants
qsducks

Poison Ivy...

Post by qsducks »

I know. It's awful.
southern yankee

Poison Ivy...

K.Snyder;931912 wrote: http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Poison-Ivy-Plants on the local news there is a new kind of poison ivy here that is much STRONGER then the old. HARDER TO KILL. Harder to get over the itch. I AM SOOO HAPPY.:mad:
K.Snyder

Poison Ivy...

Post by K.Snyder »

Killing the poison ivy plant

!!!DO NOT BURN POISON IVY!!! -The smoke particles carry the irritant and allow it to be inhaled; people that are extremely sensitive to poison ivy could die.

Poison ivy is EXTREMELY hardy and very resistant to poisons. Some herbicides will not destroy the roots, allowing the plant to grow back the following year. Roundup and other grass killers do not affect poison ivy. Some people recommend using a brush killer.

You can also physically pull up all the vines and roots but you must wear gloves and pants and a long sleeve shirt. Wrap the plants in a good garbage bag and bury them or dispose of them in a landfill.

Another solution is mixing 1/4 cup salt in 1 quart of water and put in a spray bottle. Spray the leaves of the poison ivy with this solution. NOTE: this will possibly kill any surrounding plant life if it gets a significant amount of salt water on it.

Yet another solution which has worked is sprinkling Borax on the leaves. It will take about 3 weeks for the leaves to die back. It may be necessary to repeat this treatment for more than one growing season.

http://www.indopedia.org/Poison_ivy.html

southern yankee;931909 wrote: not this stuff here. you have to chop it. poising works for just a few weeks then it ia all over again. in all new places. it is a endless battle.:mad:

Hmm...

Perhaps you could go through the steps and remove the roots and then maybe invest in some sort of landscape tactic to prevent it from growing so much...Maybe some sort of slash and burn...
K.Snyder

Poison Ivy...

Post by K.Snyder »

southern yankee;931922 wrote: on the local news there is a new kind of poison ivy here that is much STRONGER then the old. HARDER TO KILL. Harder to get over the itch. I AM SOOO HAPPY.:mad:

Oh well,..maybe I should come rescue you...

(Joking)...
K.Snyder

Poison Ivy...

Post by K.Snyder »

southern yankee;931922 wrote: on the local news there is a new kind of poison ivy here that is much STRONGER then the old. HARDER TO KILL. Harder to get over the itch. I AM SOOO HAPPY.:mad:

Here's an article about poison ivy getting stronger...

Poison Ivy Getting Worse, Researchers Say

Leaves Are Larger And Oil More Potent; Increase Of Carbon Dioxide In Air Thought To Blame

(CBS) Poison ivy is getting nastier.

That's the conclusion of researchers at Duke University and the United States Department of Agriculture. They say it's growing more quickly, with larger leaves — and the oil on them, the stuff that gives people rashes, is more potent.

Scientists say it's worse than ever for a number of reasons. Among them: an increase in the amount of carbon dioxide in the air. That's the same thing causing global warming.

On The Early Show Monday, medical correspondent Dr. Emily Senay said this all means poison ivy is now more plentiful, more capable of causing rashers, and with rashes that are harder to get rid of.

Seems logical if you oxygenate your soil it may not grow back as prevalent as it does...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/07/ ... 5609.shtml
Odie

Poison Ivy...

Post by Odie »

I had poison ivy when I was a kid! you would not believe the bumps, they surrounded my entire body and were itchy as hell!

I remember mom putting on Calamine lotion to soothe, but the soothing never lasted long and had it repeated 20X a day!

trust me, you do not want to get this!

the itching was intense!
Life is just to short for drama.
K.Snyder

Poison Ivy...

Post by K.Snyder »

Odie;931931 wrote: I had poison ivy when I was a kid! you would not believe the bumps, they surrounded my entire body and were itchy as hell!

I remember mom putting on Calamine lotion to soothe, but the soothing never lasted long and had it repeated 20X a day!

trust me, you do not want to get this!

the itching was intense!

Yes,..yes it is...:wah:
southern yankee

Poison Ivy...

K.Snyder;931926 wrote: http://www.indopedia.org/Poison_ivy.html

Hmm...

Perhaps you could go through the steps and remove the roots and then maybe invest in some sort of landscape tactic to prevent it from growing so much...Maybe some sort of slash and burn...
going to try the salt water. it won't kill trees will it??
K.Snyder

Poison Ivy...

Post by K.Snyder »

southern yankee;931935 wrote: going to try the salt water. it won't kill trees will it??

I sincerely doubt it will kill trees...

Unless of course if they're baby trees...
Odie

Poison Ivy...

Post by Odie »

K.Snyder;931932 wrote: Yes,..yes it is...:wah:

so you laugh he he, have you ever had it?
K.Snyder

Poison Ivy...

Post by K.Snyder »

Odie;931973 wrote: so you laugh he he, have you ever had it?

Yes...

I have it now...

All over my body...
southern yankee

Poison Ivy...

Odie;931973 wrote: so you laugh he he, have you ever had it? i have had sooo bad my eyes were nearly swollen shut. far from funny:(
Odie

Poison Ivy...

Post by Odie »

southern yankee;932168 wrote: i have had sooo bad my eyes were nearly swollen shut. far from funny:(

ouch, far far from funny!

Return to “Health Wellness”