Water Retention? what causes it?

kazalala

Post by kazalala »

when i went to tenerife in january my ankles and legs became very swollen, it was water retention cos i left a dent in my leg if i pressed my finger on for a couple of seconds. It also happened two years before when i went there. when i came hime my legs and ankles went back to normal,,, i thought. but at times i can still leave a dent in my leg or ankle when i press on it. im nearly 48 and i think i am starting to go through the menopause, could this have anything to do with it? Also i was taking ibuprofen for bad and heavy monthlies and i heard they can sometimes cause this as a side effect?

:thinking:im putting off going to the docs really:sneaky:

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
chrisb84uk

Post by chrisb84uk »

That sounds nasty. I don't know anything about it, but I really hope you are able to get it sorted and feel better soon! :-6
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Dams.
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

:wah::wah: cnt believe only men are answering this:rolleyes::wah:

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
valerie

Post by valerie »

kazalala;796422 wrote: :wah::wah: cnt believe only men are answering this:rolleyes::wah:

(Waves hands in air!!) Here I am!!

Put yourself on a low sodium diet. Drink MORE water, it doesn't seem

to make sense but it helps, flush out your kidneys. Water retention

is not good as you know, especially in your lower extremities. You

might try walking more, get your circulation up, but also elevating

your feet some, maybe in the evenings? If you can.

I stay away from ibuprofen and/or tylenol, they can raise your BP.

I use buffered aspirin, which I realize is not for everyone.

Eat more potassium containing foods, like BANANAS!! Or raisins.

But most of all, don't believe everything you read from someone

online. Not even MOI!! ;)

If you try those things and it doesn't get quite a bit better in a

few days, SEE A DOCTOR.

Okay?

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

kazalala

Post by kazalala »

also.. i decided to just but some water tablets a couple of days ago ,,, and now my legs are actually paining me:( is it cos they are working do you think?:-3

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
valerie

Post by valerie »

Don't know what you mean by water tablets... diuretic of some sort?

I can't impress upon you how careful you need to be with this.

Your legs shouldn't be paining you.

Do you get good daily calcium in your diet? You should, that

might help leg aches some...
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

kazalala

Post by kazalala »

valerie;796434 wrote: (Waves hands in air!!) Here I am!!

Put yourself on a low sodium diet. Drink MORE water, it doesn't seem

to make sense but it helps, flush out your kidneys. Water retention

is not good as you know, especially in your lower extremities. You

might try walking more, get your circulation up, but also elevating

your feet some, maybe in the evenings? If you can.

I stay away from ibuprofen and/or tylenol, they can raise your BP.

I use buffered aspirin, which I realize is not for everyone.

Eat more potassium containing foods, like BANANAS!! Or raisins.

But most of all, don't believe everything you read from someone

online. Not even MOI!! ;)

If you try those things and it doesn't get quite a bit better in a

few days, SEE A DOCTOR.

Okay?

:-6

Thank you Val:D I do drink at least two large glasses of water a day usually, i have started walking everday now as you know i just recently got a dog. I walk about 50 mins to 70 mins a day now, ut thats just been for the last four weeks. i have stopped taking ibuprofen, and i do like bananas, but should probably eat more of them. I will eventually go to docs if it dont get any better.

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Carolly

Post by Carolly »

If you feel like the Goodyear blimp around "that time" of the month, join the millions of us women who feel likewise. Water retention is part of the premenstrual syndrome (PMS) package. During this time, hormonal fluctuations can cause havoc in a woman's body. In some women the monthly rise in estrogen turns on the faucet for the hormone aldosterone. Aldosterone, in turn, causes the kidneys to retain fluids and the woman to suddenly gain a few water-filled pounds.

While PMS is the major cause of water retention in women, water retention for both men and women can also be related to kidney problems, both serious (kidney disease) and commonplace (not drinking enough water). Heart, liver, or thyroid malfunctions can also play a role in water retention. And, of course, eating too many salty foods can turn your body into a water-storage tank.

Thanks to the effects of gravity, retained water tends to flow southward and pool in the feet, ankles, and legs, although no area of the body is immune. Try to elevate your legs frequently. If you suffer from the occasional bloated-cow feeling due to PMS, eating too much, or not drinking enough water, the kitchen is the place to deflate yourself. Give these home remedies a try to banish some of those extra fluids.

Home Remedies from the Cabinet

Salt. Around the time you expect your period, drastically reduce your salt intake. Sodium increases fluid retention, so don't use the salt shaker. And if recipes call for salt, try adding more pepper or another spice instead. But, most importantly, cut down on processed foods and fast foods, all of which are overflowing with salt.

©2007 Publications International, Ltd.

Bananas contain high amounts of potassium, which helps eliminate fluid retention.

Home Remedies from the Counter

Bananas. Go ape and grab a few bananas. Slice 'em on your cereal, make a smoothie, or just peel and eat them plain. Bananas contain high amounts of potassium, which helps eliminate fluid retention. Not a banana fan? Gobble down a handful of raisins instead.

Home Remedies from the Freezer

Ice. When ankles puff up, applying an ice pack can help bring them back to normal size. Place ice cubes in a plastic bag with a zipper seal, wrap a light towel around the bag, and apply for five to ten minutes. A bag of frozen veggies also works well. In summertime, dip legs (ankle-deep) into a bath of ice water. People who have diabetes or poor circulation in their feet should skip the ice bath, however, unless directed to use it by their physician.

Home Remedies from the Refrigerator

Cabbage. A natural diuretic, cabbage can be added to salads or sandwiches. Enjoy a side of coleslaw for lunch.

Cranberry juice. Another natural diuretic. Drink it straight from the bottle.

Yogurt. Too many rich treats will cause stomachs to bloat. If you've overindulged and are feeling the effects, treat your stomach to a cup of plain, low-fat yogurt that contains active cultures. The active cultures aid in digestion and increase the good bacteria in the gut.

Home Remedies from the Sink

Water. When you feel waterlogged, guzzling a glass of H2O might be the last thing on your mind. But it may be the best thing for you. Water flushes out the system better than anything else and can reduce premenstrual bloating. Drink 8 to 10 glasses a day; more when you exercise. (NOTE: This advice is only for PMS bloating. If your water retention is caused by any other medical condition, be sure to ask your doctor before drinking extra water -- it may not be good for you.)

Home Remedies from the Supplement Shelf

Vitamins A and C. When you feel like a balloon, try to increase your intake of vitamins A and C, both of which help diminish the fragility of capillaries and decrease water retention.

Do's and Don'ts

DO lift your legs! Ankles can swell like sourdough bread, thanks to water retention. Luckily, avoiding the baguette look just takes a little movement. Exercises that work the calf muscles help move blood and excess fluid out of the ankle area. Regularly walking, running, bicycling, and aerobic dancing can work wonders. If ankles swell while seated at work, try lifting your legs up parallel to the floor every few minutes. During breaks, walk around the office or up the stairs. Spend a portion of the lunch hour on your feet, exercising.

DO keep your feet up. While resting, reading, or watching television, prop a pillow under those tootsies. A little help from gravity can go a long way in draining fluid from swollen limbs.

DO cross off the notion that crossing your legs is the way to sit. Doing so limits the blood flow through the thigh veins, in turn aggravating the swelling in the lower legs.

DO toss out tight clothing. If you have to squeeze into your pants, you can be guaranteed that pressure is being placed on your upper thighs and waist, in turn restricting the removal of fluids from the lower legs.

DO limit alcohol intake.

DON'T smoke.

DO stay away from junk food. Not only is it bad for you, but the excess salt tips the scales.

DO eat 6 small meals a day, rather than 3 big ones.

Water retention is usually nothing more than an uncomfortable occurance. If the bloat hits you once a month, these home remedies might help you shed that extra water and find some relief.

Hope this helps Kaz

Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

valerie;796439 wrote: Don't know what you mean by water tablets... diuretic of some sort?

I can't impress upon you how careful you need to be with this.

Your legs shouldn't be paining you.

Do you get good daily calcium in your diet? You should, that

might help leg aches some...

yes i think thats what they are,, water balance they called. hmm i dont drink much milk or eat a lot od dairy,, i do like cheese,,and veg i eat broccalli cabbage etc, at elast twice a week.

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

Carolly;796450 wrote: If you feel like the Goodyear blimp around "that time" of the month, join the millions of us women who feel likewise. Water retention is part of the premenstrual syndrome (PMS) package. During this time, hormonal fluctuations can cause havoc in a woman's body. In some women the monthly rise in estrogen turns on the faucet for the hormone aldosterone. Aldosterone, in turn, causes the kidneys to retain fluids and the woman to suddenly gain a few water-filled pounds.

While PMS is the major cause of water retention in women, water retention for both men and women can also be related to kidney problems, both serious (kidney disease) and commonplace (not drinking enough water). Heart, liver, or thyroid malfunctions can also play a role in water retention. And, of course, eating too many salty foods can turn your body into a water-storage tank.

Thanks to the effects of gravity, retained water tends to flow southward and pool in the feet, ankles, and legs, although no area of the body is immune. Try to elevate your legs frequently. If you suffer from the occasional bloated-cow feeling due to PMS, eating too much, or not drinking enough water, the kitchen is the place to deflate yourself. Give these home remedies a try to banish some of those extra fluids.

Home Remedies from the Cabinet

Salt. Around the time you expect your period, drastically reduce your salt intake. Sodium increases fluid retention, so don't use the salt shaker. And if recipes call for salt, try adding more pepper or another spice instead. But, most importantly, cut down on processed foods and fast foods, all of which are overflowing with salt.

©2007 Publications International, Ltd.

Bananas contain high amounts of potassium, which helps eliminate fluid retention.

Home Remedies from the Counter

Bananas. Go ape and grab a few bananas. Slice 'em on your cereal, make a smoothie, or just peel and eat them plain. Bananas contain high amounts of potassium, which helps eliminate fluid retention. Not a banana fan? Gobble down a handful of raisins instead.

Home Remedies from the Freezer

Ice. When ankles puff up, applying an ice pack can help bring them back to normal size. Place ice cubes in a plastic bag with a zipper seal, wrap a light towel around the bag, and apply for five to ten minutes. A bag of frozen veggies also works well. In summertime, dip legs (ankle-deep) into a bath of ice water. People who have diabetes or poor circulation in their feet should skip the ice bath, however, unless directed to use it by their physician.

Home Remedies from the Refrigerator

Cabbage. A natural diuretic, cabbage can be added to salads or sandwiches. Enjoy a side of coleslaw for lunch.

Cranberry juice. Another natural diuretic. Drink it straight from the bottle.

Yogurt. Too many rich treats will cause stomachs to bloat. If you've overindulged and are feeling the effects, treat your stomach to a cup of plain, low-fat yogurt that contains active cultures. The active cultures aid in digestion and increase the good bacteria in the gut.

Home Remedies from the Sink

Water. When you feel waterlogged, guzzling a glass of H2O might be the last thing on your mind. But it may be the best thing for you. Water flushes out the system better than anything else and can reduce premenstrual bloating. Drink 8 to 10 glasses a day; more when you exercise. (NOTE: This advice is only for PMS bloating. If your water retention is caused by any other medical condition, be sure to ask your doctor before drinking extra water -- it may not be good for you.)

Home Remedies from the Supplement Shelf

Vitamins A and C. When you feel like a balloon, try to increase your intake of vitamins A and C, both of which help diminish the fragility of capillaries and decrease water retention.

Do's and Don'ts

DO lift your legs! Ankles can swell like sourdough bread, thanks to water retention. Luckily, avoiding the baguette look just takes a little movement. Exercises that work the calf muscles help move blood and excess fluid out of the ankle area. Regularly walking, running, bicycling, and aerobic dancing can work wonders. If ankles swell while seated at work, try lifting your legs up parallel to the floor every few minutes. During breaks, walk around the office or up the stairs. Spend a portion of the lunch hour on your feet, exercising.

DO keep your feet up. While resting, reading, or watching television, prop a pillow under those tootsies. A little help from gravity can go a long way in draining fluid from swollen limbs.

DO cross off the notion that crossing your legs is the way to sit. Doing so limits the blood flow through the thigh veins, in turn aggravating the swelling in the lower legs.

DO toss out tight clothing. If you have to squeeze into your pants, you can be guaranteed that pressure is being placed on your upper thighs and waist, in turn restricting the removal of fluids from the lower legs.

DO limit alcohol intake.:eek::eek:DO stay away from junk food. Not only is it bad for you, but the excess salt tips the scales.

DO eat 6 small meals a day, rather than 3 big ones.

Water retention is usually nothing more than an uncomfortable occurance. If the bloat hits you once a month, these home remedies might help you shed that extra water and find some relief.

Hope this helps Kaz

:wah:very informative Carol. but i seem to have it all the time:-5

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

fuzzy butt;796474 wrote: Kazala that's realy interesting. I blow up like a bloody balloon when I travel. At first I thought it was the air travel. but I spent a month at my destination and nothing altered and at times got worse, high ground altitudes made it really bad. Two weeks after getting home, straight back to normal.

yea my legs and ankles were massive, i could only get flip flpos on my feet:wah: but i thought they were back to normal .. and they look normal,, but there is still some water retention there,, i am thinking the flying and different altitude just made it worse.

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
moonpie

Post by moonpie »

K - I think you should go to the doctor and get him to check it out. If you have to wear flip flops, that is more water retention than normal. Just be on the safe side and for peace of mind.:)
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Moonpie and Valerie have the best advice of all see a Doctor and get a proper checkup. Fluid retention in your legs is not a good thing especially when it is all the time. I would be at the doctors having it checked out. ;)

[QUOTE]K - I think you should go to the doctor and get him to check it out. If you have to wear flip flops, that is more water retention than normal. Just be on the safe side and for peace of mind.[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

abbey

Post by abbey »

kazalala;796405 wrote: when i went to tenerife in january my ankles and legs became very swollen, it was water retention cos i left a dent in my leg if i pressed my finger on for a couple of seconds. It also happened two years before when i went there. when i came hime my legs and ankles went back to normal,,, i thought. but at times i can still leave a dent in my leg or ankle when i press on it. im nearly 48 and i think i am starting to go through the menopause, could this have anything to do with it? Also i was taking ibuprofen for bad and heavy monthlies and i heard they can sometimes cause this as a side effect?

:thinking:im putting off going to the docs really:sneaky:Hi Kaz,

My dad is diabetic & has terrible fluid retention, he's been poorly and the doc gave him steroids which not only made him eat a lot but have made his legs swell up like puddings, they are so bad now that blisters have started to come up.

The district nurse has told him that when he sits, not to bend his legs but to raise them, if possible higher than his heart as gravity naturally takes excess fluid down (hence the reason your legs puffed up on the flight home)

Please go to the doc and ask, dont put it off any further, water tablets can be a bit of a bind to begin with but once you have shifted the excess fluid you wont pee as much.

Take care x
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

moonpie;796559 wrote: K - I think you should go to the doctor and get him to check it out. If you have to wear flip flops, that is more water retention than normal. Just be on the safe side and for peace of mind.:)

Thnaks Moonpie, they are not as bad as that now,, it was only while i was away i could only wear flip flops,, but still its still there.

CARLA;796666 wrote: Moonpie and Valerie have the best advice of all see a Doctor and get a proper checkup. Fluid retention in your legs is not a good thing especially when it is all the time. I would be at the doctors having it checked out. ;)

Yes i agree, im going to phone the docs on monday.. probs have to wait 2 weeks for an appointment though:rolleyes:

abbey;796745 wrote: Hi Kaz,

My dad is diabetic & has terrible fluid retention, he's been poorly and the doc gave him steroids which not only made him eat a lot but have made his legs swell up like puddings, they are so bad now that blisters have started to come up.

The district nurse has told him that when he sits, not to bend his legs but to raise them, if possible higher than his heart as gravity naturally takes excess fluid down (hence the reason your legs puffed up on the flight home)

Please go to the doc and ask, dont put it off any further, water tablets can be a bit of a bind to begin with but once you have shifted the excess fluid you wont pee as much.

Take care x

Thankks Abbey, and i hope your dad is'nt too bad at the moment :-4 i know he's not having a very good time of it just now:-4

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

Update. Finally got an appointment:rolleyes:yesterday. Doc said he thinks its probably just dependant Oedema, my veins are not as efficiant as they used to be. he listened to my heart, pulses in my feet, took blood pressure. I have to go back next friday to do urine and blood tests just to rule all else out. If the results come back fine then thats it. he said my legs should start to feel better eventually as i went from practically no excercise at all to around an hour a day walking it will just take some time for me to get used to:-2 Hope so:thinking:

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Glad you saw the doctor and are having follow up tests. Edema needs to be monitored it is alway an indication of something going on in the body just stay on top of it. ;)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

kazalala

Post by kazalala »

CARLA;820522 wrote: Glad you saw the doctor and are having follow up tests. Edema needs to be monitored it is alway an indication of something going on in the body just stay on top of it. ;)

Thanks Carla:-4

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Health Wellness”