Chantix - my new friend.

grh

Chantix - my new friend.

Post by grh »

I had a friend quit smoking while they were in the hospital and then their doctor gave them a prescription for this 'Chantix' when they were discharged.

I had a friend at work who was advised by her doctor to quit smoking, so I suggested she ask the doctor about this stuff. She ended up taking it and has not smoked for about a month.

I decided that I would give it a go. After all, I had done the 'patch' when it first came out and I quit for 8 years that time. I tried Zyban when it first came out and ended up in the emergency room with hives head to toe..lol. Any-hoot, I called the doctors office and got a prescription called in, then started taking it. Set a date to quit and made sure I had enough cigs to see me through that final day so that I would not have an excuse to buy just one more pack...:D

It's been a few days now and the strangest thing about this is I don't even find myself absentmindedly reaching for one. Nothing. From four packs a day to none, like that....:eek: I bought tootsie pops and hard candy to help fight cravings... but those cravings just aren't showing up!

The only noticeable side affect I've 'noted' so far is that I can't help saying exactly what I am thinking. Worse still, I have no trouble telling someone what I think of them. Kinda refreshing actually... you spend all your time trying to not hurt the feelings of folks who really aren't worried about yours... suddenly, you don't care either.

Life has become more entertaining all around!:wah:
Who are they to protest me? Who are they? Unless they've been me and been there and know what the hell they're yelling about!

:yh_glasse

rambo
JacksDad

Chantix - my new friend.

Post by JacksDad »

Does Chantix make you "high"?
weeder

Chantix - my new friend.

Post by weeder »

Chantix made me sick, and caused hallucinations.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
grh

Chantix - my new friend.

Post by grh »

JacksDad;741104 wrote: Does Chantix make you "high"?
unfortunately no.:wah:

I have an 8 year old, so when doc told me to make absolutely sure i had a full stomach when i took it, i did what i was told for a change.:p

If I had to compare it to anything, it would be speed. Lots of energy, talk a bit more then usual, I am told. But unlike speed(I'm guessing:sneaky:), I've had no trouble sleeping. In fact I'm sleeping better then I have for quite some time.

But no, i haven't found myself fluttering my fingers in front of my face to entertain myself watching the tracks... as I have heard some folks did when I was much younger.:o
Who are they to protest me? Who are they? Unless they've been me and been there and know what the hell they're yelling about!

rambo
WonderWendy3

Chantix - my new friend.

Post by WonderWendy3 »

4 packs a day?? Wow...I used to tell people 2 packs a day and offer them an oxygen mask....

Well, I hope it continues to work for you...I'm coming up on my year anniversary in Jan for quitting...and believe me ....I can NEVER use the excuse that stress drove me to smoke, I've been under a lot of stress in this last year....and thought about it, but didn't.....

I'm happy its working for you and hope only the best for you!:-6
grh

Chantix - my new friend.

Post by grh »

weeder;741105 wrote: Chantix made me sick, and caused hallucinations.

I agree, it's won't be for everyone. I have friends that had great luck with Zyban. I almost didn't try this because of what that did to me.

Fortunately, my daughter is a pharmacist. So, I had her check it out considering what she knows about my bad luck with most medicines.

But for sure, I get where you're coming from. And I'm for sure, NOT a success story here. I've only been on it for 9 days and only 3 of those smoke free. Not even a little urge to find a butt.. that's really the strangest thing to me, I think.

Even with the patch, I was eyeballing the butts for a bit. :D

rambo
grh

Chantix - my new friend.

Post by grh »

okay I've made it over 6 weeks now, and seriously the only time i think about having been a smoker is when someone at work says 'how's it going?' I usually don't know what they are talking about until they add 'the not smoking thing'

I don't think I've put on any weight. Actually I don't think there was much more weight I could put on...:p

I did dream about buying a pack and throwing all but one away and then staring at it. Then this guy I know took it away from me and proceeded to distract me..lovely dream :sneaky:

other then that, i'm my same ornery self with the exception that i'm walking the track at the y during my lunch rather then sitting on my ass getting my smokes in:D

rambo
chonsigirl

Chantix - my new friend.

Post by chonsigirl »

Way to go, Floppy! :)
Accountable

Chantix - my new friend.

Post by Accountable »

I'm proud of you! :-6
Chezzie

Chantix - my new friend.

Post by Chezzie »

Keep it up Grh, I gave up nearly 18 years ago now and I loved smoking but it was getting out of hand, whilst living in Spain I was able to smoke 24/7 with my job back then and had creeped up to 60 a day so once I returned home, my parents were horrified...One night me and hubby (then boyfriend) were in the pub having drinks with a gang of mates and one of the girls said, "Hey Cheryl, bet you dont have periods, you have soot falls...:( that was embarrassing but a boot up the jacksy I needed and the rest is history....:)
kayleneaussie

Chantix - my new friend.

Post by kayleneaussie »

Wonder if ya can get Chantix in Australia? Might give it a go:)
FOC THREAD PART 1
sunny104

Chantix - my new friend.

Post by sunny104 »

congrats!! :-6

my doctor said Buspar is really great for quitting :thinking:....I think I'm going to make it a goal this year to quit for good. :-6

Return to “Health Wellness”