Fast food culture

beautiful_soul

Fast food culture

Post by beautiful_soul »

I'm currently located in Australia and reports say that we are heading in the same direction as America, living a fast-food culture and being overweight. It's been said that something like half of Australians are currently overweight, quite a alarming number. I do want the best for my son and he does love the fast-food but really don't want him being unfit and unhealthy. How can i determine if his overweight?
G-man

Fast food culture

Post by G-man »

*Uggggghhh*

A young kid asked me the other day, "What is your favourite fast food restaurant?" It occurred to me then, that it had been over three years since I last had fast food... and it was from Subway... the foot long veggie sandwich on whole wheat with extra jalapeño peppers. That's about as far as I am willing to subject my body to the harmful effects of fast food. Granted, that I occasionally do love a juicy burger straight from the grill with all the fixin's.

I've often been known to quote Aristotle in such cases as these... "everything in moderation". There's nothing more obvious than a person that is primarily feeding themselves junk food. You truly are what you eat... not to be too cliché, but it couldn't be more true in this situation.

A developing young child should be limited to the amount of junk that they eat... if they should show signs of becoming overweight or unhealthy, then that's a good indicator. We all should be able to splurge every once in awhile, though... but it should be limited for ourselves and for our children. Eating right is only half of it, however. If you're getting enough exercise, then you won't be overweight. Forget all that you heard about fat being contagious, being cursed with the fat gene and blah, blah, blah... don't waste your time with all that nonsense... instead, get your fat can on the treadmill! :D

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

beautiful_soul

Fast food culture

Post by beautiful_soul »

I very much agree with you, balance is very important. But i found a link determining if your overweight or not.

http://www.letsgetstarted.com.au/
mikeinie

Fast food culture

Post by mikeinie »

How can i determine if his overweight?

Does he look fat?
AussiePam

Fast food culture

Post by AussiePam »

How many parents use the Fast Food restaurants as a treat if their kid is good?!! Some treat. Just the smell of deep frying is enough to curdle a non-brainwashed stomach. There's so many interesting, nutritious and really tasty fresh foods available now with minimal preparation required, I can't imagine why people would waste their money. Add up how much eating at the average fast food place costs for a family of four. You could buy the best steak, fish, vegetables, fruit for that and still have enough to eat out once in a while in a proper restaurant.

How old is your littlie, beautiful_soul?

Australia is a great country to be outdoor, running, playing soccer, swimming etc. Whereabouts are you?
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

sunny104

Fast food culture

Post by sunny104 »

I've never been a huge fan of fast food. (mystery meat, no thank you!) :yh_sick

my kids might get a happy meal every few months or whatever....they're more interested in the toy and the chocolate milk than the actual food so it's really pointless to even get it for them. :rolleyes: :wah:

we all prefer 'real' food. :-6
AussiePam

Fast food culture

Post by AussiePam »

I thought when my older kids left home and took control of their own eating they would probably shout hooray and go for the fast food so often cruelly denied them - especially as they work long hours etc. I was pleasantly surprised to find they did the opposite. Fast food only if desperate. They cook. Even if it's just pasta and a salad. I must have done something right. Grin.

(I don't count take-away good Asian food as 'fast' or 'junky')

minks

Fast food culture

Post by minks »

AussiePam;679383 wrote: I thought when my older kids left home and took control of their own eating they would probably shout hooray and go for the fast food so often cruelly denied them - especially as they work long hours etc. I was pleasantly surprised to find they did the opposite. Fast food only if desperate. They cook. Even if it's just pasta and a salad. I must have done something right. Grin.

(I don't count take-away good Asian food as 'fast' or 'junky')

nothing a few eggs can't cure eh.

Well fear not my dear Aussie mates, the reports say the same about us Canuks, we are heading for a Fast Food Glut here as well, hmmm I think it's global.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
beautiful_soul

Fast food culture

Post by beautiful_soul »

AussiePam;679105 wrote:

How old is your littlie, beautiful_soul?

Australia is a great country to be outdoor, running, playing soccer, swimming etc. Whereabouts are you?

His turning 6 in a few months, his a great kid, i know thats the thing Australia is known to be a great sporting country with cricket, swimming, and the football, yet we are still considered a overweight country.

situated in Sydney, what about u Pam?

i don't think the europeans have the same sort of problem. their portions are much smaller but then they have something like 5 course meals. :-3
AussiePam

Fast food culture

Post by AussiePam »

The smallest member of my family is also about to turn 6 - in November. I live partly in Canberra and partly at McMahon's Pt is central Sydney. Where are you?

I read the same article, by the way, snapshot of Oz based on the latest released Government population survey. Very worrying.

Creep in portion size is alarming. If you keep training your stomach to eat a little bit more than it needs, it will gradually expand, and demand that as the norm. Scary.

There are fat Europeans, for sure. And Fast Food of the kind we mean is spreading there too. I spend quite a bit of time in Europe - I've noticed that many Europeans have a very high place in their life for food. This seems to translate into eating very well, but making a thing of it. You eat the best, prepared to be looked at, savoured, and in small quantities. You never stuff your face on the run, or insult your stomach with junk. You eat at meal times, sitting with family or friends, conversing - and it's a ritual about life.. Similarly, and I can only speak for the French - they all drink wine, but drunkenness is not that common. You drink in small amounts around a meal - a meal isn't a meal without an aperitif and wine and possibly a digestif - but you don't sit in a pub all night tossing down pints.

beautiful_soul

Fast food culture

Post by beautiful_soul »

Situated West of Sydney, Parramatta, been staying there for a while. Wish i could go to Europe, your very lucky. Atleast, they take time in preparing their meals, whereas since we enjoy making money so much, rather grab some fast take out. Everytime i catch the train out to work, rarely see anyone using the stairs and using the escalators rather. We really have become a lazy country, and its reflected on what we eat.
AussiePam

Fast food culture

Post by AussiePam »

I know Parramatta a bit, beautiful_soul. Have caught the riverboat there a few times. Yes, life on the run is hectic - and I'm not for a minute knocking making money. Wealth is a good goal, but without health... you're not going to be around or fit enough to enjoy it.

beautiful_soul

Fast food culture

Post by beautiful_soul »

AussiePam;680786 wrote: I know Parramatta a bit, beautiful_soul. Have caught the riverboat there a few times. Yes, life on the run is hectic - and I'm not for a minute knocking making money. Wealth is a good goal, but without health... you're not going to be around or fit enough to enjoy it.

Yea, its a great city, situated in the middle of Sydney. I think its the flaw living in Sydney, very centralized around making money and our lifestyles (e.g. food) are effected by it. Other than that its a great city, although crime has gone up recently.
ecyor12

Fast food culture

Post by ecyor12 »

i also agree for that. yes balance is very important. It is a way of life that will support you in weight loss and maintenance.

Return to “Health Wellness”