Knitting!

Discuss knitting, embroidery, crocheting, and other types of creative needlework.
Delilah

Knitting!

Post by Delilah »

Are there any knitters out there? :)

I really enjoy knitting. And making things, in general. It gives you such a nice feeling of accomplishment when you finish and are staring at a finished product.

I only started last summer, but I have made a few scarves and pillows.

This one I made for a friend who lives in Finland, it is the Finnish flag. As he is very patriotic, and involved in the political party.

This one I made for myself, because I miss Canada..

And I made this pillow for a friend of mine..and made a pocket seprately, than sewed it on..and inside the pocket I put two keys..and wrote a thing about how friendship is a sacred gift...these keys represent..my friendship to you..and your friendship key is yours to give to whomever you wish.

Delilah

Knitting!

Post by Delilah »

mrsK;510722 wrote: I like to knit I find it relaxing.

I am currently knitting my soon to be born granchild a few little things.

It is a bit hot to be knitting here atm so I usually knit at night while watching TV with the air con blasting away:-6

Yes same here, I find it relaxing as well. :)

Aww, that is sweet. I have yet to learn how to make baby clothes..or anything that you use the circular needles for...is it very hard to learn how to use the circular ones, for booties, shirts, mits, etc?
minks

Knitting!

Post by minks »

Deli those are gorgeous pieces Very very nice.

Sorry I missed your intro thread but welcome to the garden,

you miss canada, are you from here? What part? Or is it just a fond place to visit?

Minks
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Delilah

Knitting!

Post by Delilah »

minks;510730 wrote: Deli those are gorgeous pieces Very very nice.

Sorry I missed your intro thread but welcome to the garden,

you miss canada, are you from here? What part? Or is it just a fond place to visit?

Minks

That's okay, I only just joined last night. :o

And aww..thank you so much. I really enjoy making things..especially for others.

I made a purse too, but I forgot to get a picture of it before I sent it off.

And yep, I am from Ontario, Canada. :)
minks

Knitting!

Post by minks »

Delilah;510754 wrote: That's okay, I only just joined last night. :o

And aww..thank you so much. I really enjoy making things..especially for others.

I made a purse too, but I forgot to get a picture of it before I sent it off.

And yep, I am from Ontario, Canada. :)

ahhh well you do very fine work. Ah an easterner, cool.

I am from out west, Alberta way.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
koan

Knitting!

Post by koan »

I'm from Ontario originally as well. Good thing to be able to knit around those parts!

I like knitting hats but haven't done any for about 2 years. I tried crocheting but haven't gotten very good at that. I don't have any knitting needles with me now but I might have to go out and get some now that you mention it. :)

I love the pillow. Pockets are good.
RedGlitter

Knitting!

Post by RedGlitter »

Those are wonderful scarves, Delilah! And I love the pocket pillow! I admire people who can knit and crochet; I can't.

Do you know about www.getcrafty.com? It's a craft and DIY (do it yourself) website and knitting is HOT with those people! I hope you'll show us more of your cool creations!! :)
Delilah

Knitting!

Post by Delilah »

minks;510757 wrote: ahhh well you do very fine work. Ah an easterner, cool.

I am from out west, Alberta way.

Aww, thank you that is very nice of you to say. I am only a beginner though.

Ohh nice! Always wanted to visit Alberta. The mountains and lakes are stunning. :eek:
Delilah

Knitting!

Post by Delilah »

koan;510786 wrote: I'm from Ontario originally as well. Good thing to be able to knit around those parts!

I like knitting hats but haven't done any for about 2 years. I tried crocheting but haven't gotten very good at that. I don't have any knitting needles with me now but I might have to go out and get some now that you mention it. :)

I love the pillow. Pockets are good.

I would love to try doing hats at some point. Right now I am working on some placemats and a table runner matching set for my mother. :)

I have never tried crocheting, is it very hard or very different from knitting? I would like to try that at some point.

And thank you!
Delilah

Knitting!

Post by Delilah »

RedGlitter;510788 wrote: Those are wonderful scarves, Delilah! And I love the pocket pillow! I admire people who can knit and crochet; I can't.

Do you know about www.getcrafty.com? It's a craft and DIY (do it yourself) website and knitting is HOT with those people! I hope you'll show us more of your cool creations!! :)

Aw, thank you so much Glitter! :o I made a little coin purse to match the canadian scarf, as well as a matching purse. I have a picture of the coin purse thing, but not the purse.

I have never been there before, but I will check out the link now, thank you very much. :D
koan

Knitting!

Post by koan »

Delilah;510792 wrote: I would love to try doing hats at some point. Right now I am working on some placemats and a table runner matching set for my mother. :)

I have never tried crocheting, is it very hard or very different from knitting? I would like to try that at some point.

And thank you!

I got a bunch of patterns for free from the knitting store. I was really surprised. Got about $50 worth of photocopied patterns.

Crocheting, the basics, are pretty easy. It's just different... but it goes pretty fast if you're using yarn. I have/had a hat pattern that was crocheted so I started playing around with it. I'll have to try again. But I don't have any patterns with me now either so I'm back to square one.
RedGlitter

Knitting!

Post by RedGlitter »

What a cute coin purse!! You know Delilah, if you ever start taking orders, I'd put one in for a knitted purse. :D I'm being serious here. Like a hobo type handbag only with short handles. :)
Delilah

Knitting!

Post by Delilah »

RedGlitter;510829 wrote: What a cute coin purse!! You know Delilah, if you ever start taking orders, I'd put one in for a knitted purse. :D I'm being serious here. Like a hobo type handbag only with short handles. :)

:eek: Seriously?? I'd do it for you, no problem. :) It would probably take a month once i started it though..takes me about 2 or three weeks to do something, and than by the time it would land at your door with the shipping, would be about a month total.

What do you mean by a hobo one? I think I know the style, but not sure..could you post an image for me?

I'd be delighted to make one for you. You'd have to let me know what type, color, etc.

I am currently working on something for my mother, but I have more than one set of needles, and usually work on two projects at a time..so I could start yours whenever I go get the yarn. Purses are fun to make. And than you can add whatever kind of decorations as well..buttons, or patches, etc. I want to start trying to add zippers, for the pouch part..but I don't have a sewing machine and sewing a zipper by hand might not work too well, but we'll see.
RedGlitter

Knitting!

Post by RedGlitter »

That would be too cool!! :)

A hobo is kind of a rounded soft shapeless bag but I will rustle up some photos for you and some measurements. I'll PM those over to you and you can let me know what I'll owe you for yarn and labor. I really didn't expect you to say yes, but it's so nice that you did! Thank you!! :) :) I don't knit but I'm crafty and I might be able to whip up a little something for you! :D

Red
Delilah

Knitting!

Post by Delilah »

RedGlitter;511012 wrote: That would be too cool!! :)

A hobo is kind of a rounded soft shapeless bag but I will rustle up some photos for you and some measurements. I'll PM those over to you and you can let me know what I'll owe you for yarn and labor. I really didn't expect you to say yes, but it's so nice that you did! Thank you!! I don't knit but I'm crafty and I might be able to whip up a little something for you! :D

Red

Aww, you don't have to give me anything or pay me anything. I would be happy to do it for free. :)
RedGlitter

Knitting!

Post by RedGlitter »

Wow! That is so generous of you Delilah, but I couldn't do that. I appreciate it a bunch, but no, I would insist on buying a purse from you. Absolutely. I'm just thrilled that you would make time to knit one for me. I think that's especially nice. :-4
Delilah

Knitting!

Post by Delilah »

RedGlitter;511096 wrote: Wow! That is so generous of you Delilah, but I couldn't do that. I appreciate it a bunch, but no, I would insist on buying a purse from you. Absolutely. I'm just thrilled that you would make time to knit one for me. I think that's especially nice. :-4

I am thrilled that you would ask me to! I didn't think I was that good at it or anything. :o It would be an honor to make it for you! :) I don't really go from a pattern though. I have just been making things up as I go along. :wah: So if I see a picture of what kind of thing you are thinking about, I can probably try to sort out the how-to in my head.
weeder

Knitting!

Post by weeder »

Very very nice pieces. I have knitted I dont really have the time for it. I made a beautiful scarf a couple of winters ago. Years ago I chrocheds both my sons their christening coats. It is possible to find chrochet patterns with tight stitches that look like knitting. I dont like patterns with big loose holes.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
Uncle Kram

Knitting!

Post by Uncle Kram »

I find casting off at the armhole edge and changing to No.9 needles quite tricky. On the plus side, I've discovered that very long needles tucked under my armpits produces a much firmer tension ;)

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
Delilah

Knitting!

Post by Delilah »

Uncle Kram;511142 wrote: I find casting off at the armhole edge and changing to No.9 needles quite tricky. On the plus side, I've discovered that very long needles tucked under my armpits produces a much firmer tension ;)

:wah:

Long needles can be quite obnoxious.

Are you serious though, do you knit? I have never met a man interested in knitting!
valerie

Knitting!

Post by valerie »

Crochet, here. I have some beautiful things my grandmother did, but

I really regret not ever taking the time to let her teach me all she knows.

My aunt taught me some.

A few years ago, I made a baby blanket for the baby of a baby I'd

made one for about 25 years before!! That was really nice.

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Delilah

Knitting!

Post by Delilah »

valerie;512122 wrote: Crochet, here. I have some beautiful things my grandmother did, but

I really regret not ever taking the time to let her teach me all she knows.

My aunt taught me some.

A few years ago, I made a baby blanket for the baby of a baby I'd

made one for about 25 years before!! That was really nice.

:-6

Aww, that is so great, valerie! Im sure they both loved and appreciated their blankets!

RedGlitter, I haven't heard from you about the color..:(
chonsigirl

Knitting!

Post by chonsigirl »

I just finished a scarf for my daughter, I crocheted it. Lovely deep purple.
chonsigirl

Knitting!

Post by chonsigirl »

That scarf did end up pretty long, but not that long! :wah:
chonsigirl

Knitting!

Post by chonsigirl »

I am wearing it tomorrow, we are dressing in team colors at school for the football game on Saturday.........................
Delilah

Knitting!

Post by Delilah »

Do you have any pictures of it chions? :D

Pinky..lol..that happened to me when I started. I was about 10 years old and my Aunt taught me..but she cast on the stiches, just taught me how to do basic knit part. Except she never taught me how to cast off...so i just kept knitting the same thing for about 10 years..:wah: Than I decided to teach myself and bought a how-to book this past summer.
chonsigirl

Knitting!

Post by chonsigirl »

I will see if I get one tomorrow, when I wear it to school. :)
Delilah

Knitting!

Post by Delilah »

Made a couple more things!

A potholder-ish thing...

and just a basic purse for meself..

PaulaH

Knitting!

Post by PaulaH »

I did quite a few scarves last winter with 'eyelash' wool, it only took one ball per scarf and grew really quickly.

I prefer bamboo needles to metal, easier to work with.

Paula xx
Uncle Kram

Knitting!

Post by Uncle Kram »

My Grandmother once said she was going to knit me a scarf. She asked me how long I wanted it so I told her I was hoping to keep it.

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
pinkchick

Knitting!

Post by pinkchick »

Uncle Kram;703430 wrote: My Grandmother once said she was going to knit me a scarf. She asked me how long I wanted it so I told her I was hoping to keep it.

:wah::wah:
Very nearly perfect ... :D
gingerabrahams

Knitting!

Post by gingerabrahams »

i love to knit
guppy

Knitting!

Post by guppy »

I have never learned to knit but i love to crochet..esp. in the winter..

Return to “Needlecrafts”