Retirement Bliss

bobmielke

Retirement Bliss

Post by bobmielke »

I must admit that when I realized I was going to retire that I had some anxiety about my new lifestyle. My employer, Intel Corp., decided to close the obsolete computer chip factory where I worked. They still had a demand for the chips we made but there were three older plants still making this particular product. Our facility was chosen for shutdown because of the close proximity to many other Intel fabs. They gave us 18 months to transfer or find a job outside the company.

I was 60 at the time of the announcement so I knew nobody was going to hire someone my age, especially during a severe depression. I set myself up for retirement by making strategic moves and by using my resources to pay off all bills. That included buying a new motorcycle & car, both high efficiency vehicles. I moved physically into a small studio apartment close to a medical and shopping center as well as mass transit.

Hobbies were no problem. I've been an avid photographer for 42 years and a fanatical motorcyclist for 31 years. My third hobby, computers, links well with the other two. I was set!

Intel treats its employees very well, especially if they lay them off. My severance package was very generous as well as my pension that automatically vested because of the shutdown. This was a last minute pleasant surprise that yielded me an additional $10,000 to invest.

I keep myself very busy by enjoying my hobbies as well as my senior friends. I join them each morning at a McDonald's just one mile from my apartment complex. It's located in the heart of a huge shopping area where I can take care of shopping as well as doctor's visits and keeping my prescription medications current. My choice of location for living condition was carefully thought out.

I am happy and in great health now that I'm finally officially retired. I took care of all my physical needs including $7,000 worth of dental work before leaving my job. I don't regret deciding to retire early and wish I could have managed it years ago. :)
Odie

Retirement Bliss

Post by Odie »

smart to get your dental done before leaving.

Happy to hear your happily retired, as some find it quite boring.
Life is just to short for drama.
Lon

Retirement Bliss

Post by Lon »

bobmielke;1361736 wrote: I must admit that when I realized I was going to retire that I had some anxiety about my new lifestyle. My employer, Intel Corp., decided to close the obsolete computer chip factory where I worked. They still had a demand for the chips we made but there were three older plants still making this particular product. Our facility was chosen for shutdown because of the close proximity to many other Intel fabs. They gave us 18 months to transfer or find a job outside the company.

I was 60 at the time of the announcement so I knew nobody was going to hire someone my age, especially during a severe depression. I set myself up for retirement by making strategic moves and by using my resources to pay off all bills. That included buying a new motorcycle & car, both high efficiency vehicles. I moved physically into a small studio apartment close to a medical and shopping center as well as mass transit.

Hobbies were no problem. I've been an avid photographer for 42 years and a fanatical motorcyclist for 31 years. My third hobby, computers, links well with the other two. I was set!

Intel treats its employees very well, especially if they lay them off. My severance package was very generous as well as my pension that automatically vested because of the shutdown. This was a last minute pleasant surprise that yielded me an additional $10,000 to invest.

I keep myself very busy by enjoying my hobbies as well as my senior friends. I join them each morning at a McDonald's just one mile from my apartment complex. It's located in the heart of a huge shopping area where I can take care of shopping as well as doctor's visits and keeping my prescription medications current. My choice of location for living condition was carefully thought out.

I am happy and in great health now that I'm finally officially retired. I took care of all my physical needs including $7,000 worth of dental work before leaving my job. I don't regret deciding to retire early and wish I could have managed it years ago. :)

Bob---it appears that you have got it all together-----------enjoy.

Return to “Retirement Activities”