Bike advice??

A forum to discuss the wheeled vehicle that you love.
BabyRider

Bike advice??

Post by BabyRider »

We're talking cruiser here, right? Not a crotch rocket? (Please say not a crotch rocket...)

How long since you've ridden, and what besides dirt bikes have you ridden?
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

BabyRider

Bike advice??

Post by BabyRider »

You said you don't want to kill yourself, right? Stay away from crotch rockets. Their purpose is nothing more than to go very fast, in a straight line. *yawn*

I'm not talking a Harley, either. They are constantly breaking down. But slow? Hardly! It depends on what you do with it. Honda makes some great cruisers. The Shadow is a fantastic bike, my ol man owns one and has put 33,000 miles on it and only done plugs and oil in all that time. Zero maintenance.

If you're dead-set on a crotch rocket, I can't help you. Actually I won't help you. We call those guys "organ donors." Wolverine could probably give you more info on them there 2-wheeled coffins. :yh_bigsmi
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

lady cop

Bike advice??

Post by lady cop »

i scrape a lot of those crotch-rocket guys' brains off the pavement. or our EMTs do.
BabyRider

Bike advice??

Post by BabyRider »

They also look so damn uncomfortable! I can't imagine riding all hunched up like that. When I'm cruising along, whether it's 25 down a side street or doing 70 on the freeway, I can kick back, stretch out, be comfortable. Heck, Bullet's got them awesome highway pegs, he can stretch his 6'2" frame almost to recline! Between that and good floorboards, it's really comfortable. Being stuck in one position, like on a crotch rocket, would make my body lock up like a knot.

Anew, obviously, you're a grown man and going to do what you want. But take the advice of someone who's been around both: give a cruiser a chance. You might be surprised. What besides it being your "style" is the attraction to CR's as opposed to a cruiser?

My 450 beats that 1100 I mentioned every time, if you're concerned about speed.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

lady cop

Bike advice??

Post by lady cop »

we went in hot pursuit of one of those jap bike guys one night. he was doing 180 on AIA. we broke off pursuit for the public's safety and put up our chopper. we followed him until he wiped out and spread his gray matter all over the road. sad and awful. young guy of course. my best friend lost her 20 year old son on a jap bike. she's never recovered. he flipped a car and killed a woman. on a bike! i was at the scene. had to take her home, put her in my strong arms and not let go of her for 2 days. they are a midlife crisis or young kid fantasy.
BabyRider

Bike advice??

Post by BabyRider »

flopstock wrote: Okay, here's the deal. I made my son explain the difference, 'cause I wasn't gonna ask BR and have her lose respect for me...lol

Definitely NOT the crotch rocket. Forget safety sweetie, you will look like a dork. So that's a no -just on the babe magnet scale. ;)
Flop, it would take SOOOOO much more than you admitting you didn't know the difference between a crotch rocket and a cruiser for me to lose even an iota of respect for you!!

Especially when you say things that I'm thinking: "you will look like a dork."

Not much more straightforward than that, is there?? You crack me up!!! :yh_rotfl

lady cop wrote:

they are a midlife crisis or a young kid fantasy

Absolutely right, LC.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

greydeadhead

Bike advice??

Post by greydeadhead »

Well Anew...

if ya every wanna see an oldlife.. stay away from those lil crotchrocket death machines... yep..they have great acceleration.. but that is about it. And what good is that if the speedlimit is 65.... They are uncomfortable if ya wanna go further than the corner store. Give me that American Iron anyday.. way classier than any Kawahonducki...
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
BabyRider

Bike advice??

Post by BabyRider »

anewlife wrote: cmon - what's better than doing a wheelie at 100mph?

I've seen plenty of cruiser's brain matter on the pavement - It the operator not the bike I would think. I have no interest in doing 150mph for more than a couple minutes at a time:wah:
I can't believe I missed this for this long, and I really hope anew comes back and reads this.

A.) What's better than a wheelie at 100 mph? Living to see tomorrow.

B.) If you actually HAD seen plenty of cruiser's brains on the pavement, you wouldn't be talking like a dufus. No one jokes about it once they've seen it. You want I should post some pictures? 'Cuz I've got 'em. No one else will appreciate them, but they may give you the wake-up call you so obviously need.

C.) It is definitely NOT the bike OR the operator, and if you had even a molecule of experience or common sense, you would know that.

The bike can do funny things in certain conditions. One of the brothers was riding home from a family function 2 days ago and it started to rain. He was rounding a corner, doing about 7 mph on his own bike that he knows like the back of his hand. The teeniest bit too much throttle and down he went. This is a man who has been riding for 25 years. He only sprained his wrist, but his bike is wrecked. It could have been so much worse.

The kinds of bikes you're talking about have SO much torque, it takes less than an instant to make a mistake, and you'll never know what hit you.

Between cagers that don't see you, a hundred different road hazards, and the briefest moment of inattention along with more factors than you will ever think of, an experienced rider on a bike he knows is NEVER totally safe. You? You're a danger before you even get on the damn thing. Do me a favor, anew...if you DO get a bike and ever get to my neck of the woods, give me a heads up, I don't want to be anywhere on the roads if you're around. Your cavalier attitude about this will get you and maybe someone else killed. I'm not going to let it be me.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

BabyRider

Bike advice??

Post by BabyRider »

Sorry guys, but I'm gonna bump this until anew gets back and sees it. Bear with, please.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

nvalleyvee

Bike advice??

Post by nvalleyvee »

BabyRider wrote: Sorry guys, but I'm gonna bump this until anew gets back and sees it. Bear with, please.

It's cool BR - I've lost 4 friends - one of them by best friend and Godfather to my daughter to biking accidents. I have a cousin who is brain damaged from a biking accident. They are dangerous enough because of the cars who don't look, don't judge correctly or are just plain drunk........
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
BabyRider

Bike advice??

Post by BabyRider »

*BUMP* with some info. Also, anew....READ POST #12!!!! Then check out this link, these are all experienced riders, and what happens when the "Oh, sh!t" factor kicks in:

~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

BTS

Bike advice??

Post by BTS »

:yh_star

Awwwsome rider............

"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
Accountable

Bike advice??

Post by Accountable »

Looks cool!

In a closed lot at walking speed. :cool:

Of course, I'm a walker, not a biker.