Miles on Cars

A forum to discuss the wheeled vehicle that you love.
User avatar
cars
Posts: 10354
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:00 pm

Miles on Cars

Post by cars »

The most "miles" driven on a new car I bought (Chrysler-Plymouth made in USA) was 137,400. With still all the original engine, standard transmission, & clutch. (clutch still did not slip at all after all those miles) Only things replaced were tires, breaks, & wiper blades. It still had the original "10" year old battery in it when I sold it for a new car. I knew the buyer, so I know the car was used trouble free (except for new battery) for 6 more years adding another 64,600 miles on it. Then car was sold for new car to an unknown person. So lost touch with it. How many miles on cars (and what kind) have others gotten? :driving:
Cars :driving:





User avatar
Tombstone
Posts: 3686
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:00 pm

Miles on Cars

Post by Tombstone »

You know what is amazing - getting 10 years on a battery! I don't think I've ever gotten past about 5 to 6 years on any of my batteries.

What model car was this?

I have a 1999 diesel (dodge ram - 4x4) truck that I hope to have for several hundred thousand miles. My old pickup truck was a little Nissan 4X4 pickup - had about 111,000 miles with the original clutch before I traded it in. I'm sure it had another easy 50,000 miles on the engine.



cars wrote: The most "miles" driven on a new car I bought (Chrysler-Plymouth made in USA) was 137,400. With still all the original engine, standard transmission, & clutch. (clutch still did not slip at all after all those miles) Only things replaced were tires, breaks, & wiper blades. It still had the original "10" year old battery in it when I sold it for a new car. I knew the buyer, so I know the car was used trouble free (except for new battery) for 6 more years adding another 64,600 miles on it. Then car was sold for new car to an unknown person. So lost touch with it. How many miles on cars (and what kind) have others gotten? :driving:
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
User avatar
cars
Posts: 10354
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:00 pm

Miles on Cars

Post by cars »

Tombstone wrote: You know what is amazing - getting 10 years on a battery! I don't think I've ever gotten past about 5 to 6 years on any of my batteries.

What model car was this?

I have a 1999 diesel (dodge ram - 4x4) truck that I hope to have for several hundred thousand miles. My old pickup truck was a little Nissan 4X4 pickup - had about 111,000 miles with the original clutch before I traded it in. I'm sure it had another easy 50,000 miles on the engine.



Tombstone -Yes 10 years was amaizing, the car was a 1978 Horizon, the very fisrt year it came out. It was a "front wheel drive" car, and I needed that for the snowy New England weather here. It never had to crank, it started the instant the key was turned on. I was told that Chrysler may have used a VW Rabbit engine in that model, as it was a brand new model for Plymouth. And VW rabbit engine was a drop in. I never did find out for sure. Anyway, the "overall car" treated me great! PS: I now have a 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix that is "8" years old still with the original battery! :-6
Cars :driving:





User avatar
Tombstone
Posts: 3686
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:00 pm

Miles on Cars

Post by Tombstone »

cars wrote: Tombstone -Yes 10 years was amaizing, the car was a 1978 Horizon, the very fisrt year it came out. It was a "front wheel drive" car, and I needed that for the snowy New England weather here. It never had to crank, it started the instant the key was turned on. I was told that Chrysler may have used a VW Rabbit engine in that model, as it was a brand new model for Plymouth. And VW rabbit engine was a drop in. I never did find out for sure. Anyway, the "overall car" treated me great! PS: I now have a 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix that is "8" years old still with the original battery! :-6



That's pretty cool. I need your recipe on how you keep your batteries in such good shape!
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
User avatar
Bill Sikes
Posts: 5515
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:21 am

Miles on Cars

Post by Bill Sikes »

Tombstone wrote: That's pretty cool. I need your recipe on how you keep your batteries in such good shape!



If you stick 'em on something that absorbs vibration, it helps a lot. Also make sure they're charged at the appropriate rate, and keep them topped up every so often with clean distilled water, if need be. Do not let them go anywhere near "flat".
User avatar
CARLA
Posts: 13033
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:00 pm

Miles on Cars

Post by CARLA »

HI GUYS..!!

Women allowed I hope.. I'm new here, but I'm a gal that loves old cars.

I have been the original owner of a 1973 Camaro..!! Lucy will be turning over 200,000 miles any day now. I have driven her almost every day since 1973. Original everything. Had the engine overhauled once.. I LOVE THIS CAR.. IT WILL STILL BE RUNNING WHEN I'M LONG GONE.. :driving:

I have owned, and sold many old cars.

1. 1950 CHEVY.

2. 1954 CHEVY (red and white).

3. CORVAIR.. can't rememer the year.

4. 1971 CADILLAC SEVILLE.. THE USS SEVILLE I CALLED HER..!! The ride in this car was like floating on a cloud.

5. 1965 Pontiac Tempest.. !! A GTO wanna be..

I just pick one up every now and then, just because..!! I like chrome..!! :wah:

THEY JUST DON'T MAKE CARS WITH ANY FLARE THESE DAYS.. !!
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

User avatar
Tombstone
Posts: 3686
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:00 pm

Miles on Cars

Post by Tombstone »

Bill Sikes wrote: If you stick 'em on something that absorbs vibration, it helps a lot. Also make sure they're charged at the appropriate rate, and keep them topped up every so often with clean distilled water, if need be. Do not let them go anywhere near "flat".



Thanks Bill,

I forgot about the vibration issue. When I reflect back on my cars, I am coming to realize that I use to get pretty good life out of my batteries - that was before I had kids. ha! ha! You'll see what I mean. :)
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
User avatar
Tombstone
Posts: 3686
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:00 pm

Miles on Cars

Post by Tombstone »

CARLA wrote: HI GUYS..!!

Women allowed I hope.. I'm new here, but I'm a gal that loves old cars.

I have been the original owner of a 1973 Camaro..!! Lucy will be turning over 200,000 miles any day now.



Wow! That's awesome! Color? 350 v8?



I have driven her almost every day since 1973. Original everything. Had the engine overhauled once.. I LOVE THIS CAR.. IT WILL STILL BE RUNNING WHEN I'M LONG GONE.. :driving:



You are a rarity. I don't know many people who have held onto their cars for 2 decades.



I have owned, and sold many old cars.

1. 1950 CHEVY.

2. 1954 CHEVY (red and white).

3. CORVAIR.. can't rememer the year.

4. 1971 CADILLAC SEVILLE.. THE USS SEVILLE I CALLED HER..!! The ride in this car was like floating on a cloud.

5. 1965 Pontiac Tempest.. !! A GTO wanna be..

I just pick one up every now and then, just because..!! I like chrome..!! :wah:

THEY JUST DON'T MAKE CARS WITH ANY FLARE THESE DAYS.. !!



Nice to see there's another car enthusiast!

Let me see if I can find an old photo of my son - pretending to drive in my '72 SS Camaro. (Long since sold.)

Attached files
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
User avatar
CARLA
Posts: 13033
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:00 pm

Miles on Cars

Post by CARLA »

Tombstone,

Here she is, been driving her for 31 years..!! :D Wish I looked as good as my car does..!!

Original color.. !! Original everything..!! V8 350 4barrel !! Still scares me when I put my foot to the floor..!! :driving:
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

User avatar
Tombstone
Posts: 3686
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:00 pm

Miles on Cars

Post by Tombstone »

All I can say is: :driving: :yh_star !!



CARLA wrote: Tombstone,

Here she is, been driving her for 31 years..!! :D Wish I looked as good as my car does..!!

Original color.. !! Original everything..!! V8 350 4barrel !! Still scares me when I put my foot to the floor..!! :driving:
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
User avatar
CARLA
Posts: 13033
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:00 pm

Miles on Cars

Post by CARLA »

Tombstone,



:-2 Hummm!! Let try it this way..!!

Originally Posted by CARLA

Tombstone,

Here she is, been driving her for 31 years..!! Wish I looked as good as my car does..!!

Original color.. !! Original everything..!! V8 350 4barrel !! Still scares me when I put my foot to the floor..!!
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

gmc
Posts: 13566
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:44 am

Miles on Cars

Post by gmc »

Citroen Dayne, circa 75,000, big end went while doing 80 going downhill on a motorway. (think it was 80 the speedo was jammed at the stop)

Citroen CV6 65,000

Renault 14 85,000

Renault 18 petrol estate, bought with 18,000 on click sold with 111,00, great car.

Citroen BX diesel, 145,000 miles, new suspension links and brake discs every 30,000 or so, two new clutches,( only car I have ever had to replace a clutch on) cost me a fortune to maintain, great suspension, great engine, crap built quality.

Renault 11 1.4 petrol 105,000,

renault clio 1.9 diesel 97,000

2nd clio diesel drowned in flood at 87,000 by passing AT^&(*&*&e in a 4x4 who thought a big bow wave looked cool, especially when passing othet cars.

new radiator, drive shaft, suspenson links all fixed the month before as i intended to keep it 200,000 plus. Can you believe Renault did not upgrade the suspension components to cope with the heavier suspension? Dealers are crooks they weren't servicing the car properly.

present car wife's nissan almera (mine got drowned) bought just under with 10,00 currently 18 months ago 56,000 on the clock, not a thing gone wrong. piling on the mileage as i am using it for business. Think I might buy a motor bike to beat the congestion.

You guys do low mileages thought americans drove everywhere.

Is it true american cars can't go round corners? That's what all our motoring programmes say, can't be right you must have twisty roads somewhere
User avatar
Bill Sikes
Posts: 5515
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:21 am

Miles on Cars

Post by Bill Sikes »

gmc wrote: You guys do low mileages thought americans drove everywhere



I thought so too - maybe these cars have gone 'round the clock a few extra times that haven't been noticed?



gmc wrote: Is it true american cars can't go round corners? That's what all our motoring programmes say, can't be right you must have twisty roads somewhere



I think it used to be so in many cases. I'm not at all sure that there are many twisty little roads (wait for it!). Perhaps mass-market cars don't really need a lot of cornering ability?

Oh - "The tyres must be crap 'cos you hear them squaeling on grass in the fillums!".
User avatar
greydeadhead
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:52 am

Miles on Cars

Post by greydeadhead »

That is one wicked set of wheels Carla... well hindsight is 20/20... by best ride.. 68 Chevelle I had in HS... sigh.. long sold and down the road.. best 2 wheel ride.. Norton 750.. owned while stationed in Spain. Should never ever have sold that bike.. alas.. youth breed ignorance at times.. hahahahahahahaha
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
lady cop
Posts: 14744
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:00 pm

Miles on Cars

Post by lady cop »

A. Carla IS as gorgeous as her car! and B. i posted on a similar thread and can't find it now.....i had a twenty year old jaguar XJ6 that i loved, it was so feline and graceful and FAST! it had 200.000 miles on. when it wasn't on the rack it was a work of art. it's gone now, i rolled it 3 times and all that is left is the hood ornament and floor mats. bloody Lucas electrics were the problem most of the time with that car. caught on fire once when i was driving at night, flames shooting out, a cop pulled me over and pulled me out. i used to run that car from north florida to key largo in record time, 85 all the way. people would stay on my tail thinking i had radar! LOL
User avatar
Bill Sikes
Posts: 5515
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:21 am

Miles on Cars

Post by Bill Sikes »

CARLA wrote: http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=467



What is that thing? It looks very much like an old Jaguar XJS:

http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/jhb/jhb/pics_jhb/xjs.jpg
User avatar
CARLA
Posts: 13033
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:00 pm

Miles on Cars

Post by CARLA »

BILL SIKES,

THIS IS LUCY, MY 1973 CHEVY CAMARO.. 350 V8.. ALL ORIGINAL, I'M THE ORIGINAL OWNER..!! BEEN DRIVING HER EVERY DAY FOR 31 YEARS. :driving:


ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

User avatar
Clint
Posts: 4032
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:05 pm

Miles on Cars

Post by Clint »

A year ago, I traded my 1995 Silverado 2500 4X4 with 170,000 miles on it in on a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 with the Cummins diesel engine. The Dodge had 50K on it when I bought it and 80K now. I can’t believe how much better the Dodge performs than the Chevy and it had the big 454. If I’m careful I can get 20mpg on the highway and 13 when I’m towing.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
User avatar
Lon
Posts: 9476
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:38 pm

Miles on Cars

Post by Lon »

I currently own three vehicles. A 2001 Toyota Camry XLE with 15,000 miles, a 1993 Mazda MX-6 with 45,000 miles, a 1990 Ford Telstar (right hand drive) with 40,000 miles. The Camry and Mazda are used in California and the Ford in New Zealand. Dividing the year by living in two countries, given my age, I can see buying one other car before I croak or no longer fit to drive.

The worst vehicle that I ever owned was a 1976 Cad Coupe De Ville, silver with a silver top. What a piece of crap, but as I had it longer, it really got a bit better and I managed to put 155,000 miles on it before dumping it for $800. BTW I paid $9,987 out the door for this Cad in 1976. It was the last of the big trunk Caddies.
User avatar
Tombstone
Posts: 3686
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:00 pm

Miles on Cars

Post by Tombstone »

Clint wrote: A year ago, I traded my 1995 Silverado 2500 4X4 with 170,000 miles on it in on a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 with the Cummins diesel engine. The Dodge had 50K on it when I bought it and 80K now. I can’t believe how much better the Dodge performs than the Chevy and it had the big 454. If I’m careful I can get 20mpg on the highway and 13 when I’m towing.



Hi Clint,

We have the same truck! I love mine. Became a diesel fanatic years ago after I saw the difference between towing with a gas engine vs. a diesel one.

I have a friend who as a Ford pickup - 460 cu. in. v8. 5 mpg when towing. His original argument was that he didn't want to pay another 4-5 grand for a diesel. He's now proven my point and moaning about it: He's paid an extra $4000 in fuel charges after 15,000 miles of towing compared to what he would have achieved with a diesel. Worse yet, his engine is failing and mine is just getting broken in at 80,000 miles. :p
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
LottomagicZ4941
Posts: 752
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:00 pm

Miles on Cars

Post by LottomagicZ4941 »

Sad I don't know how many miles I had on my last car. Over 100K I'm sure. Had her for 14 years.

Almost to 100K with my 4 year old car.

Probaly get a Toyoda or Saturn next unless I win the Lotto then it will be a GTO

Lotto

http://www.flalottomagic.net/?sponsor=Z4941

MagicZ4941A
User avatar
Nomad
Posts: 25864
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:36 am

Miles on Cars

Post by Nomad »

Im at 70,000 on my Jetta. I take care of my car so I expect it will last well, VW's have a good reputation for that. The interior is still showroom but when you start getting the miles up the repair bills go up and VW isnt cheap.
I AM AWESOME MAN
User avatar
Bez
Posts: 8942
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:37 am

Miles on Cars

Post by Bez »

I have been the proud owner of a Toyota Yaris for 4 years. She was 10 months old when I bought her. She is the BEST small car in the world. I have only done 20000 miles (don't get out much)

Before I had the Yaris I had about 30 cars in as many years(my husband used to buy and sell). They were nearly all 'dogs' which is why I treasure the Yaris. My previous cars were nearly all fords...a couple of Vauxhalls & a couple of Fiats. The Fords were reliable once you got them started HA HA.. My favourite old car was a Morris Traveller. The gear stick was about 2' long .....Bez :-6
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
User avatar
chonsigirl
Posts: 33631
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:28 am

Miles on Cars

Post by chonsigirl »

Only 21,000 on my 2003 Elantra, and 41,000 on my 1986 Isuzu. They never believe the mileage on the Isuzu, but my granny really did give me the car 5 years ago, when it had 17,000 miles on it. Go granny go!

Return to “General Chit Chat”