Odinism

Thoughts and discussions about New Age, Astrology, Gnosticism, Goddesses, Healing Arts, Humanism, Magic, Mysticism, Wicca, and more.
KnightDeBrian

Odinism

Post by KnightDeBrian »

Anyone here have any information on Odinism pleace let me know or email me at luckoftheirish2005@yahoo.com thanks
When I raise my flashing sword and my hand takes hold on judgement I will take vengence upon mine enemies. Oh, Lord raise me to thy right hand and count me among thy Saints.
Lon

Odinism

Post by Lon »

gimli3

Odinism

Post by gimli3 »

Read The Lord of the Rings.

Gandalf (meaning = elf-wizard) is actually an Odin-type character.

:-5
tr0lle

Odinism

Post by tr0lle »

gimli3;102096 wrote: Read The Lord of the Rings.

Gandalf (meaning = elf-wizard) is actually an Odin-type character.

:-5

Nice try, but Odin had:

1 eye

A spear that never missed

Sliepnir

thrist for violence

wounds from being impaled on a branch upside down for seven days.

Although obviously I don´t doubt the Lord of the Rings has Norse influence, as Tolkien himself admitted, Gandalf is not very odin-esque
Rapunzel

Odinism

Post by Rapunzel »

Pinky;544665 wrote: Don't foget his magical hammer. Mjollnir.

And his ravens Hugin and Munin.

Hugin and Munin travel the world bearing news and information to Odin. Hugin means "thought" and Munin means "memory". They are sent out at dawn to gather information and return in the evening. They perch on the god's shoulders and whisper the news into his ears.
Rapunzel

Odinism

Post by Rapunzel »

Oh, and he was also known as Woden. Wednesday (or Woden's Day) is named for him. :)
tr0lle

Odinism

Post by tr0lle »

Rapunzel;544681 wrote: Oh, and he was also known as Woden. Wednesday (or Woden's Day) is named for him. :)

Woden was not Odin, regrettably
tr0lle

Odinism

Post by tr0lle »

Mjöllnir is Thor's hammer
spot

Odinism

Post by spot »

tr0lle;574730 wrote: Woden was not Odin, regrettably
In what way is any of that true?

I have a sad suspicion that Odinism these days is tied up with white supremacism but I could be barking up the wrong tree. What aspect of the Norse religion is specifically Odinist?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Odinism

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tr0lle;574730 wrote: Woden was not Odin, regrettably

In what way different?

Both derived from Wōđinaz - whether it be Norse or Germanic or English it is the same legend surely?
Bryn Mawr

Odinism

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Pinky;574751 wrote: Wasn't Odin the Scandinavian version while Woden was the Saxon version?

Could it be just a regional thing? I know some of the Norse names got morphed somewhat over here when the Saxons settled...In East Anglia, Thor became Taranis (or integrated with the local storm god, anyhow.)

Fits with my understanding
tr0lle

Odinism

Post by tr0lle »

Basically, but their still not the same. Kinda like how Norway is not Sweden
Bryn Mawr

Odinism

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tr0lle;574759 wrote: Basically, but their still not the same. Kinda like how Norway is not Sweden

It's more like saying a cat is not un chat - different name for the same animal
BlackBear

Odinism

Post by BlackBear »

Hi, new forum member here. I'm a bit confused but is Odinism and the Asatru religion one and the same thing being discussed here?
minks

Odinism

Post by minks »

BlackBear;647701 wrote: Hi, new forum member here. I'm a bit confused but is Odinism and the Asatru religion one and the same thing being discussed here?

hello and welcome go on into the introductions vein and post an intro and we all can welcome you proper like. I have no idea about this topic mind you.

Cheers

Minks
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
spot

Odinism

Post by spot »

BlackBear;647701 wrote: Hi, new forum member here. I'm a bit confused but is Odinism and the Asatru religion one and the same thing being discussed here?

I'm not sure one could call it a discussion, exactly, but yes. In a neo-revivalist sense. They both qualify for that these days.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
BlackBear

Odinism

Post by BlackBear »

I didn't mean to infer there was a discussion per se going on about Odinism. I was curious because I had not been aware of the unfortunate link between the resurrection of the Scandinavian/Germanic pagan religions under Odinism or Asatru, which I find interesting since I am fond of Viking history, and the white supremacy movement, which I find utterly repugnant.
luciferjohn

Odinism

Post by luciferjohn »

hello to all,

i am an odinist, of the classic german faith, ive heard alot of missinformation on this topic and would like to offer my knowledge on the subject.

1) odin, wotan to us germans, is the alfather, goes by the titles odin, wotan,wodan,the wanderer, the alfather, the wise one, depending on your tribe,location,or religious beliefes.

2 odin would not demand us to be racist, loki is part god and part giant, and odin and thor both had a thing for human women.

3 hitler has nothing to do with odinism, he outlawed it in germany on his rise to power, he feared the old faiths would undermine his propaganda with the truth.

4 all odin was saying in the purity speach was follow no other gods, for belief in a god that is not yours will destroy you,translation: only marry a person who will carry on the heritage, the bible and torah say the same thing almost word for word.

5 i have a big problem with ignorant racists using my faith as an excuse, if you hate thats on you. i have studied religions of the world for over 5 years and found no true faith that preaches such hate, mistranslation and fault of humans is what brings the hate.

yes we were a warliking people, still are, but war does not mean hate, we are told by odin, to always be respectful, to push hate is in no way respectful, we are also told to be honest at all times,no matter how difficult.so i hope i have helped clear up a few things, and if i offended,you have my appologies, that wasnt my intension.
:driving:lookout smart guy talkin:guitarist:yh_devil:yh_ghost:
luciferjohn

Odinism

Post by luciferjohn »

that was thors hammer, odin had slepnir, and a ring that dropped from it 7 idenicle rings every 7 days.
luciferjohn

Odinism

Post by luciferjohn »

tr0lle;544655 wrote: Nice try, but Odin had:

1 eye

A spear that never missed

Sliepnir

thrist for violence

wounds from being impaled on a branch upside down for seven days.

Although obviously I don´t doubt the Lord of the Rings has Norse influence, as Tolkien himself admitted, Gandalf is not very odin-esque

he had no more a thirst for violance than any other god of the age.:-5
luciferjohn

Odinism

Post by luciferjohn »

Rapunzel;544680 wrote: And his ravens Hugin and Munin.

Hugin and Munin travel the world bearing news and information to Odin. Hugin means "thought" and Munin means "memory". They are sent out at dawn to gather information and return in the evening. They perch on the god's shoulders and whisper the news into his ears.

he could also see through their eyes, he also had to wolves when going into battle or on the great hunt.:D
luciferjohn

Odinism

Post by luciferjohn »

:-6spot;574740 wrote: In what way is any of that true?

I have a sad suspicion that Odinism these days is tied up with white supremacism but I could be barking up the wrong tree. What aspect of the Norse religion is specifically Odinist?

Odinism is not the cause of hate, ignorance is, odin teaches us all to be respectful, and honest at all times, the hate is brought in by human ignorance,loki is part god and part giant, odin and thor both have a thing for human woman, does that sound racist ? i appologize i meant no disrespect i just get angry when people blame my faith for thier stupidity, but unfortunatly many racists do claim "odin made them do it". the name odinist is modern, it is the entire pantion of norse gods, odin is the alfather, creator, teacher,and so forth, we gain knowledge from odin, strength from thor, balder gives us the ability to respect the one we dont like, but there are many clans or tribes who worship them in their own order and purposes.
luciferjohn

Odinism

Post by luciferjohn »

Pinky;574751 wrote: Wasn't Odin the Scandinavian version while Woden was the Saxon version?

Could it be just a regional thing? I know some of the Norse names got morphed somewhat over here when the Saxons settled...In East Anglia, Thor became Taranis (or integrated with the local storm god, anyhow.)

wotan is the germanic version, the others i believe you are correct.:D
luciferjohn

Odinism

Post by luciferjohn »

BlackBear;648346 wrote: I didn't mean to infer there was a discussion per se going on about Odinism. I was curious because I had not been aware of the unfortunate link between the resurrection of the Scandinavian/Germanic pagan religions under Odinism or Asatru, which I find interesting since I am fond of Viking history, and the white supremacy movement, which I find utterly repugnant.

the odinists of the old faiths never left it has been passed down, from family member to family member, i am of the germanic clans, the truth is odinism has nothing to do with the aryian nation or white supremisy, the racists just feel they need some reason to hate instead of just saying they hate for hate sake. and hi
spot

Odinism

Post by spot »

Welcome to ForumGarden LJ, I'm delighted to meet you. I look forward to chatting.
luciferjohn

Odinism

Post by luciferjohn »

spot;1237431 wrote: Welcome to ForumGarden LJ, I'm delighted to meet you. I look forward to chatting.

as do i :)
spot

Odinism

Post by spot »

luciferjohn;1237436 wrote: as do i :)

Would you like a bit here or would you prefer a clean thread?

Each religion produces a different mindset for its adherent. I have a fair grasp of the beliefs of Odinists - the background stories, if you like - but I know little of any practices which might be associated with them, it strikes me as something individuals practice rather than the congregational focus you'd find in Christianity, Islam, Judaism or the Latter Day Saints (they're the four monotheist religions which spring into my mind as examples).
luciferjohn

Odinism

Post by luciferjohn »

spot;1237442 wrote: Would you like a bit here or would you prefer a clean thread?

Each religion produces a different mindset for its adherent. I have a fair grasp of the beliefs of Odinists - the background stories, if you like - but I know little of any practices which might be associated with them, it strikes me as something individuals practice rather than the congregational focus you'd find in Christianity, Islam, Judaism or the Latter Day Saints (they're the four monotheist religions which spring into my mind as examples).

:D you sound as versed as myself in ancient religions, i am an odinist of the original germanic faith, odinists are family or clan based, the monthiestic faiths you mentioned before are socially based, odinists want to rule the family, monothieists want to rule the world lol:wah:
luciferjohn

Odinism

Post by luciferjohn »

here is good maybe we can clear up some confusion on the subject of rligions lol
luciferjohn

Odinism

Post by luciferjohn »

luciferjohn;1237453 wrote: here is good maybe we can clear up some confusion on the subject of rligions lol

just as long as i dont talk about spelling lol
spot

Odinism

Post by spot »

luciferjohn;1237450 wrote: :D you sound as versed as myself in ancient religions, i am an odinist of the original germanic faith, odinists are family or clan based, the monthiestic faiths you mentioned before are socially based, odinists want to rule the family, monothieists want to rule the world lol:wah:

I may have entirely inaccurate ideas, it's something I'd do well to read a book about sometime. I have it in mind that there's a focus on making a good death, for example. It doesn't matter when so much as how, the readiness to stand up and face it with a suitably grave flippancy showing how trivial an event it is. Any religion capable of inspiring that degree of clear-thinking is a step up from the average state of humanity.
luciferjohn

Odinism

Post by luciferjohn »

spot;1237459 wrote: I may have entirely inaccurate ideas, it's something I'd do well to read a book about sometime. I have it in mind that there's a focus on making a good death, for example. It doesn't matter when so much as how, the readiness to stand up and face it with a suitably grave flippancy showing how trivial an event it is. Any religion capable of inspiring that degree of clear-thinking is a step up from the average state of humanity.

the basis for that individual example is based on courage, if you are brave and honest in all you do and say, you get taken to valhalla, if you die in battle a valkyrie takes you from the field to valhalla,to die with courage and honor garentees you a seat at odins table, if a faith can make you more like the gods and less like man, then in my oppinion it is a positive force,being honest and respectful is harder to come by today with the human race being what it is,hopefully one day the true religions of the world will get along and then the people will follow, back to the explanations , if you die a "cowards" death you must go to hella to be judged.
fuzzywuzzy

Odinism

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

The Vikings were Odinists perhaps?
luciferjohn

Odinism

Post by luciferjohn »

fuzzywuzzy;1237531 wrote: The Vikings were Odinists perhaps?

yes indeed they were, all of the europian countries in the northern hemisphere

sweedes, germans, danes,you get the idea.:D
fuzzywuzzy

Odinism

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

luciferjohn;1237464 wrote: the basis for that individual example is based on courage, if you are brave and honest in all you do and say, you get taken to valhalla, if you die in battle a valkyrie takes you from the field to valhalla,to die with courage and honor garentees you a seat at odins table, if a faith can make you more like the gods and less like man, then in my oppinion it is a positive force,being honest and respectful is harder to come by today with the human race being what it is,hopefully one day the true religions of the world will get along and then the people will follow, back to the explanations , if you die a "cowards" death you must go to hella to be judged.

See I've been saying that for ages . Hella "hell" is an adaptation used in the Bible....it doesn't belong in the Bible. They just stuck it in there without thought .
luciferjohn

Odinism

Post by luciferjohn »

fuzzywuzzy;1237534 wrote: See I've been saying that for ages . Hella "hell" is an adaptation used in the Bible....it doesn't belong in the Bible. They just stuck it in there without thought .

yes sort of, the term was adopted by many peoples in many variations, and it basically just refers to a darkened underworld, the judeo/christian version with the fire and brimestone was adopted from the greeks version, the stories of all the old worlds got so mixed up do to miscommunication, that the names and so forth get clustered together the closer you get to the modern era, the best thing to do is look in the bc era to find the roots of the ancient religions and follow them forward, youll be suprised what the romans did, they mixed them all up to control the populace , hope that helped:D;)

Return to “Modern Ancient Paths”