Most boggling conspiracy theory of all time

Fact or Fiction? Discuss here.
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

Lunaverde wrote: is like the Ophra Winfrey version of "Holy Blood, Holy Grail".
by the way, an easy way to remember how to spell ms. winfrey's first name is to remember that it is "harpo" backwards. thus oprah.

:yahoo_cof
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Majuscule wrote: I think the OP was talking about a different book, not The DaVinci Code.

I too found The DaVinci Code to be pretty shallow--a popcorn read. There was some discussion of it in the Poetry and Writing Forum ("The Dan Brown Books").

I much preferred Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum. I haven't read Holy Blood Holy Grail so I can't comment on it.

I hope someone who has read it through will comment. Is it worth looking for? I like complicated, tangled plots but ones that are comprehesible.

Is Holy Blood fiction or...uh, spectulation? (I was going to say non fiction but decided against!)

Same here.
koan

Post by koan »

Umberto Eco is fabulous the way he weaves historical info into his conspiracy plots. The spattering of non-fiction into fiction makes it more believable and therefore more enjoyable. Suspension of disbelief. "Foucault's Pendulum" was the first time I had heard of the Knights Templar and launched about a 5 year quest of finding out more about these "secret" societies who are not so secret anymore. Must say he lost his edge at the end of this book in an attempt to wrap it up.

I am attracted to these books because they show how completely different conclusions can be drawn from the same information. I love to see how people string their facts together and call it "proof". All it proves is that our idea of history is somewhat subjective.

I know of the book you refer to and remember reading a book by these authors. I'll have to look and see if it is the same book. They have written more than one. They take maps and lay them over artwork to find locations. There is a lot of numerology employed to come up with "facts" if I remember correctly. Sometimes you have to skim sections where they get self indulgent in trying to prove their conclusions. If you want to enjoy the book, assume you believe them and move to the next part. Then when you finish go back and see if their proof makes sense to you.

There is another interesting "historical" investigation by some Freemasons called

"The Hiram Key". A much easier read but not pablum. Again, they often say "So this is the obvious conclusion" and I wonder if it is really so obvious.
koan

Post by koan »

Just found the book I was thinking of by the same authors as HB,HG. It's called "The Elixir and the Stone". I have read HB,HG and as far as I can remember, its main purpose is to try and cast serious doubt on the literal interpretations of the Bible. I don't know it they accomplish their goal but they seem to have a thing against traditional Christianity. The back cover of the book I have, E&S, reads:

With startling insight, Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh, acclaimed authors of The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, turn back the pages of our intellectual history to uncover the magic and alchemy that have always been part of our lives - a part which they believe is even more important in this modern, scientific age.

The unifying thread, they reveal, is Hermeticism, a body of esoteric teaching which flourished in Alexandria two thousand years ago and was never entirely destroyed. The Elixir and the Stone traces this fascinating tradition - a parallel to today's holistic thought - from Egyptian times, through the Middle Ages and the Renaissance to the present.

With it at last comes a true context for those shadowy alchemists and magicians who have haunted our thoughts for centuries. With it, too, comes an alternative way of looking at the world - and the possibility of a figure other than Christ who defines our civilization.

The book is much better written than the back cover. I think I'll read it again now that I've dug it up.
Bothwell

Post by Bothwell »

I have indeed read The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, some of it was very interesting a lot of it was absolute tosh, anyone who was "On the Square" or who had a passing interest in the Knoghts Templar or Rosicrucians may find it of interest. It did however give me start when I came upon "Et in Arcadia ergo" by Poussain in the Louvre. It was a shock to see the painting that supposedly contains so many clues.
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

stony moss wrote: You must not read much. The DaVinci Code was very fast paced & I found it very interesting. But, I like that sort of weird story. What I have a problem swallowing is the stuff about the supposed Bible Code that can be deciphered only by computer & supposedly tells of future events. Sort of like a Nostradamus. People are still trying to figure out what he was trying to say. Don't read too much into it. Just read The DaVinci Code as well as his (Dan Brown's) Angels & Demons (or was it Demons & Angels) as a good conspiracy novel. If you can't get thru this book, don't try to read any of Tolstoy's stuff.

Pure Fiction.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Bothwell wrote: I have indeed read The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, some of it was very interesting a lot of it was absolute tosh, anyone who was "On the Square" or who had a passing interest in the Knoghts Templar or Rosicrucians may find it of interest. It did however give me start when I came upon "Et in Arcadia ergo" by Poussain in the Louvre. It was a shock to see the painting that supposedly contains so many clues.And what about these other guys in the 'Freemasons?
koan

Post by koan »

capt_buzzard wrote: And what about these other guys in the 'Freemasons?
Uh, oh. Last time the Freemasons came up we lost a member. Not much of a loss, but still...
john8pies

Post by john8pies »

The Da vinci Code was an enjoyable read - but remember it is only fiction!

The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail is MEANT to be true but there was recently a programme on British TV hosted by Tony Robinson which completely `debunked ` it and said its main themes weren`t even made up until the 1950`s

-John :cool:

Return to “Conspiracy Theories”