Calendars And The End Of The World

Fact or Fiction? Discuss here.
koan

Post by koan »

I'm going to see 2012 at the theatre today and, though I'm going to see it as a hollywood action film, it got me to thinking about the EOTW prophecies. :wah:

If the end of the Mayan long count calendar means the world is going to end, I'm surprised we don't have doomsayers freaking out every December 31. Why do so many people want to believe in the end of the world?
abbey

Post by abbey »

Because they're nuts. :wah:

Good to see you back Koan :-6
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

koan;1262851 wrote: I'm going to see 2012 at the theatre today and, though I'm going to see it as a hollywood action film, it got me to thinking about the EOTW prophecies. :wah:

If the end of the Mayan long count calendar means the world is going to end, I'm surprised we don't have doomsayers freaking out every December 31. Why do so many people want to believe in the end of the world?

Because they wern't here for the beginning and want to be for the end??:D

Also great to see you back posting :-6
koan

Post by koan »

The world ending would sure take the pressure off having to do anything significant with one's life. :D
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Exactly ..!! Good to see you Koan. :D

[QUOTE]The world ending would sure take the pressure off having to do anything significant with one's life. [/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

koan;1262867 wrote: The world ending would sure take the pressure off having to do anything significant with one's life. :D

Wouldn't it just :wah:

Good to see you back and posting :-6
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Hi Koan!

Tell me if you liked the movie, I want to see it. I always like those disaster movies.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Looks like a great movie, doesn't it? When I first heard about 2012 about ten years ago, there was an asteroid that was going to make a pass at us on that year, but it's since been downgraded to no threat at all.

But I was curious, so I did some research. I found out that the Mayans really didn't think of it as the "end" of the world, but more like "a time of great change." From what I remember, each of the other cycles had ended with large society-spanning changes in their culture.

Well...think of it. Aren't we going through that right now with the advent of computers?
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

It reminds me of Hopi cosmology, in their system we are in the Fourth World. The Mayan could have held similar beliefs.
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

koan;1262851 wrote: I'm going to see 2012 at the theatre today and, though I'm going to see it as a hollywood action film, it got me to thinking about the EOTW prophecies. :wah:

I guess because most people prefer doom and gloom to happy, cheery positivity?

My son's going to see 2012 on Tuesday with his mates, as college finishes early for him that day. What is the world coming to when you give your kids money for the pictures but you don't have the time, money or energy to go yourself?

I guess it's called getting old.........! Noooooooooooooooooooooooo! *sob*

In the film I think the world is supposed to end on December 21st, rather than 31st, which is good because I had a horrible feeling the planet might get squished during the 2012 London Olympics, which would be a terrible shame as I'm really looking forward to them, especially the opening and closing ceremonies (my favourite part!)

The world is also supposed to be knocked out of orbit by an asteroid in 2017 and, if we're still here by then, I'm pretty sure there'll be another doom and gloom prophesy for somewhen around 2025. :-5:wah:

I guess there are probably people who are still pi$$ed off that no major catastrophy happened in 2000, maybe they're the doom and gloom merchants?

However, the earth and the sun are both still young and the universe is still expanding, so I guess we still have to pay taxes and enjoy life!

Better to enjoy each day than spend your life waiting for the world to die because chances are you'll still be waiting when you die. What a waste!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Saint_;1262881 wrote: Looks like a great movie, doesn't it? When I first heard about 2012 about ten years ago, there was an asteroid that was going to make a pass at us on that year, but it's since been downgraded to no threat at all.

But I was curious, so I did some research. I found out that the Mayans really didn't think of it as the "end" of the world, but more like "a time of great change." From what I remember, each of the other cycles had ended with large society-spanning changes in their culture.

Well...think of it. Aren't we going through that right now with the advent of computers?

I think you'll find that the 2012 happening is the star 'Nibiru' which apparently is in our solar system now. I think it was the Mayans or Phoenicians who called it the 'Planet of the crossing' . It is interesting to note that both Microsoft and Google have apparently redacted the data on that portion of the starfield. What are they trying to hide?

Why can't ordinary telescopes see Nibiru yet? Because, according to one amateur astronomer, Nibiru is a brown dwarf sub-stellar object, possibly a remnant flung off a supernova aeons ago. Imagine a lump of barbeque coal that has lost it's red glow, but is still very hot - that is apparently what Nibiru is. It may become visible to standard telescopes sometime in the next two or three years, but is already visible on the infra red wavelengths as the second strongest heat source in the solar system, second only to Sol itself.

If it's a hoax, it's a damn good one!
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Richard Bell

Post by Richard Bell »

G#Gill;1263024 wrote:

If it's a hoax...

It is.

G#Gill;1263024 wrote: ... it's a damn good one!

It isn't.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

I loved the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy when the world was going to be destroyed to make room for an intergalactic highway.

A friend of mine saw 2012 and said don’t go for the story line, it is poor, go for the special effects.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Richard Bell;1263100 wrote: It is.

It isn't.

How do you know ? Is it one you started ?:p
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

chonsigirl;1262887 wrote: It reminds me of Hopi cosmology, in their system we are in the Fourth World. The Mayan could have held similar beliefs.

Around here ( I live by the Navajos who have a chip on their shoulder for the Hopis) we say that Hopi cosmology is:

"Don't worry, be Hopi!":D
koan

Post by koan »

So the film was worth seeing for the special effects. Definitely don't see it for the story and expect the narrow escapes to cross the line of suspension of disbelief. Mainly they wanted to examine how they think humanity would act if they were actually faced with immediate threat of extinction. Happily/sappily they decided that morality would rule the day.

It would be interesting to see how many EOTW theories we have record of. There are certainly cults that try to make a profit off them from time to time.
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Saint_;1263127 wrote: Around here ( I live by the Navajos who have a chip on their shoulder for the Hopis) we say that Hopi cosmology is:

"Don't worry, be Hopi!":DI'm a Navajo ;) LOL HI!!!!!!!!
Smoke signals ftw!
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Omni_Skittles;1263238 wrote: I'm a Navajo ;) LOL HI!!!!!!!!

I heard that "When Worlds Collide" was being remade. Now, if you want story, that's the one to go see!

Oh, and Yah Ta Hey, Shkiss - Skittles. Nazhoni-ay (Spelling incorrect!):D
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR »

Maybe the Mayan who carved the original calender just couldn't get a bigger rock to carve on so he only got up to 2012 and ran out of room.......:thinking::thinking:
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Saint_;1263262 wrote: I heard that "When Worlds Collide" was being remade. Now, if you want story, that's the one to go see!

Oh, and Yah Ta Hey, Shkiss - Skittles. Nazhoni-ay (Spelling incorrect!):DIn your defense... the written language is fairly new so good job!
Smoke signals ftw!
koan

Post by koan »

There is a pretty good list of EOTW prophesies, mostly based on Rapture and the Second Coming until the 1900s.

The millennium and end-of-the-world predictions.

1972: According to an article in the Atlantic magazine, "Herbert W. Armstrong's empire suffered a serious blow when the end failed to begin in January of 1972, as Armstrong had predicted, thus bringing hardship to many people who had given most of their assets to the church in the expectation of going to Petra, where such worldly possessions would be useless."

Return to “Conspiracy Theories”