$700b Setup for McCain?

Fact or Fiction? Discuss here.
Accountable

$700b Setup for McCain?

Post by Accountable »

I was watching a financial channel yesterday, and a couple of guys on the panel think that the $700 billion plan is a setup, so that McCain can come in, oppose an unpopular president, reach across the aisle in bipartisan maverick fashion, and save the day. Why else would they loudly announce an agreement without first conferring with House Republicans?

On another pundit show, a political strategist called McCain's handlers geniuses for this master stroke maneuver of disagreeing with spending the $700b. The democrats would be afraid of fighting him because it would look like they were too eager to spend the money. Whether they fought or not, it would put Obama in a strained position for tonight's debate, which McCain will miraculously find a spare moment to attend.

Plausible?
spot

$700b Setup for McCain?

Post by spot »

It depends on the extent to which the White House still talks to the gray suits in the Republican Party - the back-stage strategists. If they do then yes, it's a joint approach. You'd think they ought to, wouldn't you.

Anything that gets McCain elected is fine by me. If it needs manipulating the electorate with a soap opera then fine, script it.

You can't really think the White House is so separated from the Party that it wouldn't cooperate, surely.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Galbally

$700b Setup for McCain?

Post by Galbally »

Possibly, though you would want nerves of steel to play such a risky strategy, yes McCain does seem to like taking risks to obtain his goals, laudable enough; however, whether Americans want any more risky decisons being made by their leaders is another question.

I am sure that there is politics being played out here at the highest level; by both sides, after all the bailout plan is going to seriously effect any plans that either men have should they win the presidency so they would be foolish not to ensure that they have input into the final form of the deal. However, the stakes appear so high for the united states economy right now, than neither man or party can risk too much in allowing things to get any worse because of political infighting, as it would have terrible political consequences down the line.

Also if it does become apparent that the Republicans are manipulating events to ensure their man gets elected when the whole economy is going down the pan, they will get crucified at the elections and rightly so, don't forget that the McCain slogan is "Country First".

Its also my guess, that over the coming months and years, the Republican Party is going to have to take severe political punishment when the true cost of the 8 years of Bush become apparent, it will be a difficult period for them. To be honest, given the backdrop, its really the for the Democrats to loose this election, and its going to be very hard for McCain to win, though he still may do it, though its getting more unlikely every week.

I think another really serious question to be faced up to is this: without the access to very cheap credit and foreign capital, and the collapse of the Investment Bank model of Capitalism, what is going to drive the American economy in the coming years? The country will have to rediscover its productivity and manufacturing greatness of the past to prevent the country going into a massive relative decline compared to its Asian competitors. That is a very big question indeed, and its going to take some serious work to come up with an answer.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Accountable

$700b Setup for McCain?

Post by Accountable »

Galbally;996591 wrote: I think another really serious question to be faced up to is this: without the access to very cheap credit and foreign capital, and the collapse of the Investment Bank model of Capitalism, what is going to drive the American economy in the coming years? The country will have to rediscover its productivity and manufacturing greatness of the past to prevent the country going into a massive relative decline compared to its Asian competitors. That is a very big question indeed, and its going to take some serious work to come up with an answer.
Here's the concept. Ready?

The entire continental US as a state-run amusement park. :-6:driving::-6

We could cater to the uber-rich Chinese.
Galbally

$700b Setup for McCain?

Post by Galbally »

Accountable;996611 wrote: Here's the concept. Ready?

The entire continental US as a state-run amusement park. :-6:driving::-6

We could cater to the uber-rich Chinese.

That would be a big park, but then there are a lot of Chinese, aren't there? You could ask the Italians for advice as large parts of Italy now are essentially Classical or Renassiance theme parks (you know Florence, Venice, Pompei, almost all of Tuscany), and very nice it is too.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
YZGI

$700b Setup for McCain?

Post by YZGI »

I'll run Dodge City.

Accountable

$700b Setup for McCain?

Post by Accountable »

We'll call it Sea to Shining Sea World.
Patsy Warnick

$700b Setup for McCain?

Post by Patsy Warnick »

The Amusement Park has been named: BUSHLAND

I'm ready for the Carnival to pack up & hit the road.

McCain could issue $$$$ 200 thousand to each citizen, to do as they wish.

some will pay-off Mortgages, which $$ goes back into the Banking Industry.

some will pay-off student loans, which puts $$ back into the Banking industry.

some will invest - which puts $$ back into the Banking Industry.

some will purchase - large items, House - Car, which puts $$ back into the economy - Banking Industry - which will create jobs etc...??

This is the Ferris Wheel Ride in my Park..

Patsy
Accountable

$700b Setup for McCain?

Post by Accountable »

Patsy Warnick;997453 wrote: The Amusement Park has been named: BUSHLAND

I'm ready for the Carnival to pack up & hit the road.

McCain could issue $$$$ 200 thousand to each citizen, to do as they wish.

some will pay-off Mortgages, which $$ goes back into the Banking Industry.

some will pay-off student loans, which puts $$ back into the Banking industry.

some will invest - which puts $$ back into the Banking Industry.

some will purchase - large items, House - Car, which puts $$ back into the economy - Banking Industry - which will create jobs etc...??

This is the Ferris Wheel Ride in my Park..

Patsy
Brilliant! :yh_clap
Patsy Warnick

$700b Setup for McCain?

Post by Patsy Warnick »

You don't think alot of that money is going to leave the Country anyway...???

Please don't suggest for me to trust Mr. Treasury Man with this 700B

with no instructions?

this sounds to me as BUSH'S cushion when he's out of Office...

Hell - Bush can't get into a Seminar Circuit - no one wants to hear him say another word..

except - BYE

Patsy
Patsy Warnick

$700b Setup for McCain?

Post by Patsy Warnick »

If McCain "THE MAverick" took my idea

and annouced right now during this Debate, $200 thou. to each citizen - he'd blow Obama off his Podium..

McCain would be guaranteed Pres.. so, he bought his postion ?

in one way or another they all do..

I think my remedy could work.

PATSY

Return to “Conspiracy Theories”