The Camping Conspiracy

Fact or Fiction? Discuss here.
koan

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by koan »

Is it just me or does society promote the camping experience as a good thing to affect our self esteem and good will towards each other?

If you sincerely enjoy camping tell me why and where, lest I stick to my conspiracy theory. (and Lord knows we don't need another of those)
Uncle Kram

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by Uncle Kram »

A guy I worked with asked me if I'd ever tell anyone if I woke up with a used condom hanging out of my arse. I said I'd keep quiet about it.

Then he asked me if I'd like to go camping. Does this help?

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
venus

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by venus »

Uncle Kram wrote: A guy I worked with asked me if I'd ever tell anyone if I woke up with a used condom hanging out of my arse. I said I'd keep quiet about it.

Then he asked me if I'd like to go camping. Does this help?

ok now there is a mental picture that will scare me for life!!!!!
take a bite out of life it's there to be tasted!!
koan

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by koan »

It seems that most people claim to loooooove camping. I'm with the Deliverance point of view :guitarist . Your experience does sadly not surprise me, Uncle K.
Marie5656

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by Marie5656 »

I would go camping...so long as I had a cabin. Oh yeah, and plumbing, and electricity..and a laptop. So yes, I would go camping.
BabyRider

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by BabyRider »

Camping with the proper gear is a BLAST.

By proper gear I mean at the minimum, the following things:

Air mattress

Bug spray

a good knife

Comfortable shoes

Hiking boots

a good campsite

When I went camping in the Porcuine mountains in Michigans U.P., we had one of the most rustic sites there. Basically, a piece of the ground had been leveled out so your tent could be pitched with relative straightness.

We were about 10 yards from the river, where I washed my hair every day, and were surrounded by hundreds upon hundreds of acres of woods with some rough trails cut in to tromp through. We had a cooler full of food to last a week, and enough firewood to cook and keep us warm at night. We saw "Lake of the Clouds" named so because it is such a still and mirror-like lake that it looks just like the sky when viewed from the lookout about 500 feet above it.

There was no one else at our site, although it could accomodate a total of 4 tents, so we had the place all to ourselves. We spread out with our lounge chairs, an overhead tarp to provide shade, beach blankets drying in the trees nearby, a good set of camping cookware, even a coffee percolator that you set right in the coals of the fire.

It was one of the best, most relaxing vacations I've ever had.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Jives

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by Jives »

I grew up in the wildernesses of Montana and Colorado. My father and myself spent many long days on the trails of the Bob Marshall Wilderness area. I've been to places that I don't think other men have ever been. There's something special about being at the top of the Continental Divide hundreds of miles from civilization. It's like nothing else.

I loved the sound of the wind whispering through the pines, the taste of caught-by-yourself rainbow trout being sauteed in cornmeal, heck even the kool-aid tastes better. I've seen deer so tame you could walk right up and pet them. I've been chased by bears and even an angry moose once.

And is there anything that beats telling stories and singing around a campfire until late in the morning? I think not.

The problem with camping is that you are supposed to get away from it all to a time of easier and more primitive days. Most people don't get this. They take campers, RVs, laptop computers and satellite dishes. They worry about their jobs and bills while they are gone. They don't live off the land in any way or form. In short, they miss the whole point.

I can still see my father up ahead on the dusty trail if I close my eyes. I can still feel my special knife and the way it cut soft pine when I whittled and the wieght of the backpack on my shoulders. I can smell the meadows of moutain flowers and feel the crisp morning air on my skin as the warm hot chocolate pours down my throat. I hear the fire crackling softly in the morning light and hear the birds singing in the trees. The Pikas are calling to each other from the rockfalls with little squeaky chirps.

Best of all, the promise of an ice-cold dip in a stream so clear, cold and fresh every nerve in your frame is kindled.

To find that water in the city, you'd have to buy it in a bottle, but in the high country, you can swim in it all day if you want.

There's something in all of us, something wild, that sleeps in the city. It only wakes in the mountains, far from civilzation. When it's not there, you don't seem to miss it much. Kind of like a relative you haven't seen in ages. But when you are in the mountains, it comes rushing back full force with enough emotion to bring tears to your eyes.

That's what camping is all about.;)
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
venus

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by venus »

we used to go camping alot as a child..

one year we arrived at the allocated place for our tents, it was a family occasion and it was dark so we just pitched and thought about getting a better position hte next morning.

We were all awokeen at about 5;30 the next morning by my mothers terrified screams...

we had by accident camped in a farmers field and it has cows in it, one of which had entered my mum and dads tent and was happily licking my mums feet.....

we kids could do nothing for laughing my dad couldnt either....well it was only a cow...not a raging bull..
take a bite out of life it's there to be tasted!!
koan

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by koan »

The Feng Shui of the site was decidedly lacking the water element. My daughter claimed it was "in the plummage" (plumbing servicing the sites) I had trouble finding that to be a source of comfort.

A river might have helped. The half way thing of supposedly "roughing it" while hooked up to hydro and "plummage" was not rewarding.
valerie

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by valerie »

Jives wrote:

And is there anything that beats telling stories

:yh_giggle
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Uncle Kram

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by Uncle Kram »

Marie5656 wrote: I would go camping...so long as I had a cabin. Oh yeah, and plumbing, and electricity..and a laptop. So yes, I would go camping.

Isn't that a bit like having a window box and paving it ? :D

Uncle Kram

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by Uncle Kram »

I often wake up in a tent :o

koan

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by koan »

I got guilted into it by my parents, who also guilted me into having 'fun'. Why? I have nothing to feel guilty over. Currently. That I know of.
Uncle Kram

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by Uncle Kram »

koan wrote: I got guilted into it by my parents, who also guilted me into having 'fun'. Why? I have nothing to feel guilty over. Currently. That I know of.

We used to have a Louis XV style mirror that was guilted :D

koan

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by koan »

By the time you get to XV there's got to be something to feel guilty about! I'm thankfully void of any inheretical viewpoints.
Uncle Kram

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by Uncle Kram »

Uncle Kram wrote: We used to have a Louis XV style mirror that was guilted :D

On reflection, it was quite a nice mirror

koan

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by koan »

Careful. Everything is backwards in there.
BabyRider

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by BabyRider »

valerie wrote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jives

And is there anything that beats telling stories

:yh_giggle

Oh damn, my tongue hurts. :lips:
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Uncle Kram

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by Uncle Kram »

Now now - play nicely girls :yh_giggle

BabyRider

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by BabyRider »

Uncle Kram wrote: Now now - play nicely girls :yh_giggle
Hey....for me to bite my tongue with THAT wide open door shows remarkable improvement in my behavior and almost inhuman strength of will. Seriously.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

koan

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by koan »

this discussion is purely camp smoke and mirrors
bigears

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by bigears »

When I was a young chap I spent several months hitching/camping/working around Australia and New Zealand. I had a tent, sleeping bag and a couple of cooking pots attached to my rucksack. Happy days. I pitched the tent in many places; the side of the road, petrol stations, farms etc as well as on the beach, in the bush and the odd campsite. The point was you could pitch up anywhere and not really care too much whether there was hot running electricity or a capuccino bar nearby. OK I am older now and my creaking bones might complain if I were try and repeat the experience but when you're 21 and trying to see the world for free who cares? IMO anyone who never tries this is missing out on one of life's great experiences. Conspiracy? :rolleyes: Naaaah.
koan

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by koan »

bigears wrote: Conspiracy? :rolleyes:

My what big ears you have. My what big teeth you have!

Conspiracy indeed.
bigears

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by bigears »

koan wrote: My what big ears you have. My what big teeth you have!

Conspiracy indeed.

All the better to debunk conspiracy theories with :sneaky:
koan

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by koan »

Hear me roar! Extended camping is for lunatics who believe that humans are superior beings. We are only alive because they allow it.
Betty Boop

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by Betty Boop »

Uncle Kram wrote: I often wake up in a tent :o

:yh_eyebro :yh_rotfl
bigears

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by bigears »

koan wrote: Hear me roar! Extended camping is for lunatics who believe that humans are superior beings. We are only alive because they allow it.

Camping commandants?
koan

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by koan »

Betty Boop wrote: :yh_eyebro :yh_rotfl

Call me slow. I didn't get it. How come you did?
koan

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by koan »

bigears wrote: Camping commandants?

Command-rants. There's a difference.
Betty Boop

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by Betty Boop »

As a child I remember 'camping' in the back garden, the one night we actually stayed out there later than 10pm there was a huge thunderstorm, we made the backdoor ten seconds after the first flash of lightning! :wah:
Betty Boop

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by Betty Boop »

koan wrote: Call me slow. I didn't get it. How come you did?

Ummmmmmmmm :-3
koan

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by koan »

Betty Boop wrote: Ummmmmmmmm :-3

If you say "you had to be there" I'm telling EVERYONE. :D
bigears

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by bigears »

I also have fond memories of a campsite in Portugal where I spent a few weeks hanging around before heading to Spain. Long story. There was a building site next door from which we we stole breeze blocks for a fireplace, steel tubing for a windbreak and rope for a washing line. The wine cost 50 escudos a litre (see how old I am) amd the deposit for the flagon was 100 escudos. :D
DesignerGal

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by DesignerGal »

I hate the outdoors. I dont like anything that flaps. Birds especially. Its dirty and gross and you never know what will fly into your mouth.

I prefer to be at the beach, mountains, etc inside a lovely light filled bedroom with 800 threadcount sheets, the fluffiest down comforter you can find, a good book, watching all that nature through a thick piece of glass. ....a big window.

Just my opinion.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, a nice bottle of red zinfandel, shiraz or a nice peppery merlot during the winter months.

HBIC
koan

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by koan »

DesignerGal wrote: I hate the outdoors. I dont like anything that flaps. Birds especially. Its dirty and gross and you never know what will fly into your mouth.

I prefer to be at the beach, mountains, etc inside a lovely light filled bedroom with 800 threadcount sheets, the fluffiest down comforter you can find, a good book, watching all that nature through a thick piece of glass. ....a big window.

Just my opinion.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, a nice bottle of red zinfandel, shiraz or a nice peppery merlot during the winter months.

Amen, sister.
chonsigirl

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by chonsigirl »

Well, I only go camping if I have an air mattress, a solar shower, and a good reason not to go to Bermuda this year.
koan

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by koan »

If you tell me a solar shower is absorbing positive energy by osmosis I might puke.

I'm sure there is a better explanation.
chonsigirl

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by chonsigirl »

Bermuda sounds like a better idea!

Nice hotel, beach, sun.....................

I think I would only go camping in a fully loaded RV, with air conditioning, stocked 'fridge, and king size bed inside.

Nah, I still like Bermuda and maid service and no dishes to wash.
BabyRider

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by BabyRider »

koan wrote: If you tell me a solar shower is absorbing positive energy by osmosis I might puke.

I'm sure there is a better explanation.
koan you've never seen a solar shower? Or are you being funny?

The big heavy-duty black plastic bag with the hose and nozzle attached to one end? You fill it with water and let the sun heat the black bag, hang it from a tree, and voila, you've got a hot shower.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

koan

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by koan »

I wish I was joking. I avoid any camping thing like the plague. I'm now advised.
Uncle Kram

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by Uncle Kram »

Betty Boop wrote: As a child I remember 'camping' in the back garden, the one night we actually stayed out there later than 10pm there was a huge thunderstorm, we made the backdoor ten seconds after the first flash of lightning! :wah:

So this was when you were about 17 right? :-3 ..........:D

chonsigirl

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by chonsigirl »

Gosh, remember camping in the backyard and telling spooky stories until late at night?
Erinna1112

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by Erinna1112 »

BabyRider wrote: Camping with the proper gear is a BLAST.

By proper gear I mean at the minimum, the following things:

Air mattress

Bug spray

a good knife

Comfortable shoes

Hiking boots

a good campsite

When I went camping in the Porcuine mountains in Michigans U.P., we had one of the most rustic sites there. Basically, a piece of the ground had been leveled out so your tent could be pitched with relative straightness.

We were about 10 yards from the river, where I washed my hair every day, and were surrounded by hundreds upon hundreds of acres of woods with some rough trails cut in to tromp through. We had a cooler full of food to last a week, and enough firewood to cook and keep us warm at night. We saw "Lake of the Clouds" named so because it is such a still and mirror-like lake that it looks just like the sky when viewed from the lookout about 500 feet above it.

There was no one else at our site, although it could accomodate a total of 4 tents, so we had the place all to ourselves. We spread out with our lounge chairs, an overhead tarp to provide shade, beach blankets drying in the trees nearby, a good set of camping cookware, even a coffee percolator that you set right in the coals of the fire.

It was one of the best, most relaxing vacations I've ever had.
I can't believe I'm related - as closely related as it gets - to this person.

My idea of roughing it is no white gloves on the waiters when they bring room service to the hotel room. Domestic chocolate instead of imported on the pillow. No San Pellegrino in the mini-bar.

Ok, I'd like to see Lake of the Clouds. But I want a hotel room to go back to afterwards.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I swear by my life - and my love of it - that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~Ayn Rand

If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

A*M*E*N!
chonsigirl

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by chonsigirl »

Yeah, a plush hotel! With a jacuzzi!
Jives

The Camping Conspiracy

Post by Jives »

Erinna1112 wrote: My idea of roughing it is no white gloves on the waiters when they bring room service to the hotel room.

LOL! Good one.:wah:
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare

Return to “Conspiracy Theories”