Who's side are you on?

Discuss Presidential or Prime Minister elections for all countries here.
anastrophe

Who's side are you on?

Post by anastrophe »

warsai wrote:

The republicans aim to cut affirmative action, but my mother wouldn't have gotten her job without it

i'm not sure that's strictly a republican aim. there are a lot of people who recognize that affirmative action was a good - even great - idea at the time, but it has outlived its usefulness. you sort of make the case - *your mother* wouldn't have gotten her job without it, but do *you* really need it? affirmative action was started to try to help counter the incredible forces working against minorities from the time of the civil rights movement in the fifties and sixties. by giving a preference to minorities, it 'jump started' the process of bringing balance and equality to all. but it's 2004 now - it's been 30 to 40 years since there were drinking fountains for 'coloreds only'. there are laws that are enforced that mandate fairness in hiring. a helping hand can become a crutch when it is expected to be there.

in terms of 'which side am i on', i have no clue. i know i definitely do not want to vote *for* john kerry, but i'm less than enthusiastic about voting for the bushmeister. the problem with this year's election (well, it's a recurring theme) is the absurd polarization. here's what we're faced with:

j o h n k e r r y g e o r g e b u s h

far left left left-of-center center right-of-center right far right

+--------+--------+-------------+-----------+------------+-----------+

very few people very few people

a few more people a few more people

even more people even more people

T h e M a j o r i t y

[edit: - can't get it to format right. sigh!]

not sure how well that lines up, hopefully you get the idea. we have these two chowderheads bulging out towards the extremes, while the overwhelming majority of 'plain folk' are crammed up in the middle, bulging out towards the sides.

most of us are left choosing the lesser of two chowderheads. as a choice, it stinks. 'do i cut off my left index finger, or my right index finger? hmmmmm'
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]

Return to “Presidential Elections Campaigns”