My Case For Retiring Early 50's/60's

Lon

Post by Lon »

I am coming up on my 81st birthday within in a week and have been reflecting on my life since retiring at age 56. I took up Scuba Diving and got certified for up to 100ft. I have done deep water dives in Fiji, Tonga, Cook Islands, Tahiti, New Zealand & Australia and all over the Caribbean. I played golf and Racquet Ball on a regular basis as well as Water Volleyball & did a Bungy Jump from 200 ft. 0n my 65th birthday. I have taken seven cruises and traveled extensively. What's my point? I gave up golf this year because of stiffening knees and hands which made it impossible to play as well as I did just five years ago. I had to give up Scuba Diving at 70. Had I waited until age 70 to retire just because I would receive a few more dollars I would have missed out on one hell of a lot of fun and excitement. My physical activities now are limited to Petanque, Water Volley Ball, swimming, walking. I may take another cruise this year or a Trans Canada Train Trip (something I always wanted to do) I will not be going back to New Zealand any more as I had done yearly for 25 years, that 13 hour plane trip out of Los Angeles is tough on the body. Life is good folks, but don't delay, the years go by very quickly and you don't want to be a member of the "WISH I HADDA CLUB"
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

My dad would have been in agreement with all you have said lon. After almost a lifetime of working he retired at 62 and really knew how to enjoy life. Unfortunately, he died at 65. He must have had a premonition, as when he retired early he told my mom if he waited he would end up dying behind his desk.

He not only knew how to enjoy life, but also to spread that joy with his family. He was so much fun to be with.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I took a number of years off (more or less) and decided to get back into the full swing of my business a couple of years ago. I find as much enjoyment in my work as I imagine you have in retirement. There's nothing more that I wish to do at this point of my life (59 years of age). My living is honest and I get to work hard almost every day. It's not for the money either, but the money factor is a gauge of satisfaction in that it reflects how busy I've been. Social situations for the sake of socializing is not where I find satisfaction. I find socializing much more easily enjoyable as well as comfortable when I've got a purpose for being wherever it is I am. My brain rewards me handsomely when I'm in survival mode and my work causes me to feel like I am indeed surviving.

It's a very interesting phenomenon that I've found that many men in the the line of work that I'm in absolutely love what they do. At least that's what they say on the associated forums I belong to.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

I had planned to retire by the time I was 60, maybe even earlier. I'm 59 this month and I am nowhere near able to. Partly because I remortgaged 10 years ago in order for us to move but mostly because my 4 small private pensions are worth a fraction of their initial intended worth. They have become incredibly devalued over the years and I have to wait an extra year for my state pension, 66. My wife has to wait an extra 6 years and will receive her state pension when she is 66 also.

For those in the US, the state pension isn't a benefit such as that for an unemployed person but something we pay into all our working lives in the form of National Insurance contributions

My body is telling me that I ought to retire but my pockets are telling me that I can't. I'll be mortgage free in 3 years which will help a great deal
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

My dad never retired, he was bought out.

That guy, my dad was in upper management of Sears Roebuck and Co and would not settle down.

He tried at the Reality business and got screwed so he go part time job with Lowes Hardware

Imagine a man who once was a manager now working his way up in an all new enviorment. He loved it. Sears is a retail business and my Dad knew it well and he knew how to talk to people.

I suspect his greatest accomplishment was working at a golf course as a starter. Ya know, the guy who you first meet, gives you the ticket and advice.

Did I mention Dad a lifetime Golfer, and taugh me the sport?

Anyway at work he slipped, broke a hip which ended work for him.

Long story short, I admire his ethic.

That is why I still work today and will till I drop.

I must admit, like my Dad, I don't work "full time".
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I go in this summer to see if I can retire after one more school year, I think I can. I say retire early, and being a caregiver too has taken its toll on me over the years. Wish me luck that my years will be in, and I will have one full school year left. :)

Money wise, well, one house is paid off, 5 years left on the other. I can always work part time if needed.

Hmm, physical abilities do go downhill with age. (that stinks, you never believe it when you're young) But I still do kung fu, and am going to a tournament this summer in martial arts. Life is good.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Chons, where on the East Coast of the USA is Nirvana? I'm in Brooklyn, same time zone & it sure ain't here!
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Nirvana is definitely summer time. The beach makes it nice too. :)
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Chonsi ! Where have you been ? It's such a pleasure to see you posting again. I hope you are well.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Working for the National Careers Service I naturally come across a wide range of age groups. It's not uncommon for people in their 70s to come to us for help in furthering their careers, and we even had a classic one with a Gent, aged 85, who was looking for a Career Change.

In this day & age of increasing life expectancy, to retire at what used to be considered a reasonable retirement age is now more likely to leave you with more years in retirement than you've spent in your working life. I'm due to be eligible for State Pension when I reach the age of 66, which will be after 50 years of working age (although I have not actually been in work anywhere near that number of years). Even now it's not uncommon (and continually becoming less uncommon) for people to exceed centenarianism (if that's a word), and I imagine that by the time I get there it's more likely to be the norm. To take an early retirement now (mid 50s), that would mean a working age of about 40 years, with an expected 50+ years to go.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Snowfire;1482261 wrote: Chonsi ! Where have you been ? It's such a pleasure to see you posting again. I hope you are well.

Hi Snowfire. I have been busy teaching and doing lots of fun stuff like usual, lots of music and martial arts things. I hope you are doing well too. :)
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

chonsigirl;1482246 wrote: Nirvana is definitely summer time. The beach makes it nice too. :)

Nirvana is seeing you back posting in the Garden :-6
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Lon

Happy Birthday: guitarist

You have made time for a wonderful time. Your thread has many reflecting back to others retiring & themselves and we can only dream of all your adventures / travels and enjoyment. you've been fortunate.

I so agree with your decision to retire early & enjoy with the cut in funds for doing so.

I am retired - Hubby & I vacation yearly in Hawaii - take many road trips and it's all a adventure - some planned - some at a whim. Yes, I'm being punished for retiring early as far as funds - I don't regret my decision. (58 yrs. old)

I have always enjoyed your threads on traveling - I asked you about the hours on the plane - it's tough - not sure if I can fly a straight 12 - 13 hours again.

My hubby sum what gave up golf - shame - always a round score of 68 - 73. he still tries. Many health issues - medical retirement (64 yrs. old).

He was such a good golfer he was qualifying for the Senior Tour.

So - enjoy life while you can - Lon I so agree with you - don't wait.

My Dad retired & six months later died of a heart attack.

If you can retire & retire & still maintain then do it

Patsy

Return to “ForumGarden Hotel”