AFTR's Daily Commute

along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by along-for-the-ride »

First off, I would like to thank all the folks who have visited my "The Last Word" thread. You gave me many smiles, and laughter, and food for thought. That thread is still active and open. :) I am currently posting some thoughts that I wanted to share. It has been suggested by several members that I start my own thread........like my own "room" where everyone can know where to go and visit. Well, this is the place. Everyone is welcome here to vent, or comment, share a laugh, post a pic, or even ask for advice. Let's travel life's highway together atleast for a little while. We shall travel the city streets as well as the backroads. Sometimes the road is bumpy and takes many turns; sometimes the road is a long stretch with a picturesque view.

I just got back from a weeks vacation in the Smokey Mountain area. We enjoyed ourselves. The mountains are still green with just a kiss of autumn color in spots.

These are a few of the pics I have taken.

PS. That was a long drive--------6 1/2 hours. :wah: What do you like to do on a long drive......as a passenger?

Attached files
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Kathy Ellen

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hello After:-4

You are definitely one of the nicest, sweetest members here in FG and have always been one of my favorite friends. I'm so happy that you and hubby had a wonderful time in the "Smokey Mountains." Hope hubby is feeling a little better now:-6

I've been debating with myself:wah::wah: for months now as to whether I will holiday in Ireland, England and some countries on the continent or Florida this summer.

Since talking to my family, we've decided to visit Ireland, et all next summer. So, I'm so delighted that I'm going to Florida this summer. I'm taking the auto train down and driving home.

Hopefully, I would like meet some FG'ers as I'm driving back home. I'd love to meet you (you live in Georgia right) Weeder, Wendy and Chonsi...and anyone else who would like to meet me...not sure of who else is along or near Route 95. Anyway, that's my hope. I'd be passing by sometime in August. Hope you may be around.

I will visit your new home:-4
chonsigirl

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by chonsigirl »

What a lovely place you went to, the Smokey Mountains! And a long trip for you! I haven't been a passenger on a long trip since a kid, I probably drove my parents koo-koo!

Oh Kathy, do stop by Baltimore! 95 is only a few miles from where I live!:)
Kathy Ellen

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Oh Kathy, do stop by Baltimore! 95 is only a few miles from where I live!:)

Ahhhh, Chonsi...I would love to meet you and hubby:-4 If all goes well, I'll stay overnight in a lovely hotel in the inner harbor and hope that you'll meet me for dinner.:-6
chonsigirl

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by chonsigirl »

:) Oh boy!
Odie

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by Odie »

Beautiful pics, so glad you had such a great time!

and welcome to your own room!:)
Life is just to short for drama.
qsducks

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by qsducks »

Kathy Ellen;989933 wrote: Hello After:-4

You are definitely one of the nicest, sweetest members here in FG and have always been one of my favorite friends. I'm so happy that you and hubby had a wonderful time in the "Smokey Mountains." Hope hubby is feeling a little better now:-6

I've been debating with myself:wah::wah: for months now as to whether I will holiday in Ireland, England and some countries on the continent or Florida this summer.

Since talking to my family, we've decided to visit Ireland, et all next summer. So, I'm so delighted that I'm going to Florida this summer. I'm taking the auto train down and driving home.

Hopefully, I would like meet some FG'ers as I'm driving back home. I'd love to meet you (you live in Georgia right) Weeder, Wendy and Chonsi...and anyone else who would like to meet me...not sure of who else is along or near Route 95. Anyway, that's my hope. I'd be passing by sometime in August. Hope you may be around.

I will visit your new home:-4

When are you visiting Ireland next summer, what month?
Kathy Ellen

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by Kathy Ellen »

qsducks;990021 wrote: When are you visiting Ireland next summer, what month?

Not this summer Ducky, next summer.:-6
qsducks

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by qsducks »

kathy Ellen;990031 wrote: not This Summer Ducky, Next Summer.:-6

2010?
Kathy Ellen

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by Kathy Ellen »

qsducks;990038 wrote: 2010?

Yes, my family wanted to travel then, and I've decided to wait and go then. Next summer I'm going to Florida.
qsducks

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by qsducks »

Kathy Ellen;990042 wrote: Yes, my family wanted to travel then, and I've decided to wait and go then. Next summer I'm going to Florida.

I'll miss you by a year. We are seriously thinking of going next year, but with the ecomony...........:thinking:
Kathy Ellen

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by Kathy Ellen »

qsducks;990054 wrote: I'll miss you by a year. We are seriously thinking of going next year, but with the ecomony...........:thinking:

I've just decided this week that this upcoming summer is not the time to travel to Europe. I'm going to see how next year goes and travel then. The Euro is just too high for us now.
qsducks

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by qsducks »

Kathy Ellen;990083 wrote: I've just decided this week that this upcoming summer is not the time to travel to Europe. I'm going to see how next year goes and travel then. The Euro is just too high for us now.

Yup same here. I'm not paying an arm & a leg. I know and feel we will end up back in Ocean City next summer and have already nodded to the realtor about the house we rent.
Kathy Ellen

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by Kathy Ellen »

qsducks;990096 wrote: Yup same here. I'm not paying an arm & a leg. I know and feel we will end up back in Ocean City next summer and have already nodded to the realtor about the house we rent.

And we'll all have a good time and finally meet up then:-4:p
qsducks

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by qsducks »

Would that be cool or what? How far are you from OC?
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

:-6 Welcome to all my buddies! It's so good to be with you all again! :)

During our vacation, we were a little concerned about the availability of gas because of the hurricane destruction in Texas. Many gas stations were putting bags over their pump nozzles--temporarily out of gas. But, we had no trouble getting gas. We did notice some pirice gauging on the way home.

We had a child's fantasy come true when we visited Santa Land in Cherokee. Except for an accomodating staff and a couple other visitors, we had the park all to ourselves. We visited Santa, had ice cream, saw the animals at the zoo attraction, rode the roller-coaster and ferris wheel. I had to take a ride on the merry-go-round, for old times sake.;) We rode the train and the conductor blew his whistle for us. We also saw a Magic show. It was a lovely day and an unexpected pleasure. We had intended to visit "Ghost Town in the Sky" in Maggie Valley, but it was a Monday and it just recently posted to be open only on weekends. So we made a change of plans. Hubby and I had never visited Santa Land before, although we passed by it many times.

Have you have had a unexpected change of plans that turned out to be a happy experience? You forget about your initial dissapointement. :)
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

Today, hubby and I went back to work after our week's vacation. Getting up at 5:20 am again. I was busy, so the day went fast. Some "welcome back"s and "how was your vacation?" It is nice to have a job to fill you days and somewhat fill you pockets. :wah:

And you know something else? I did enjoy my vacation, but it is good to be home.:)

Attached files
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

I am amazed. I googled "tuesday afternoon" for images, and several different perspectives came up. These are how different people paint this period of time. The Tuesday afternoon I am experiencing is a sunny, windy warm day. It's comfortable and familiar......not that special.:)

What do you think as you stroll around in AFTR's art gallery today? Which painting "speaks" to you?

"Tuesday Afternoon" is the title of all these pieces.

Attached files
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

Those of you who have been on the Forum for awhile know that I am the unofficial "welcome mat" lady. :) Why do I do this.........I dunno. It's just my way of making any new folks welcome and nobody else was doing it........so I just jumped right in there and started. I do have a collection of welcome mats in My Pictures folder. I try to welcome everyone, but if I did miss somebody, I apologize. I do hope this is okay with the members here.............if not..........too bad.....gonna do it anyway. :wah:

Let's share of cup of welcome, shall we?

Attached files
RedGlitter

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by RedGlitter »

AFTR, I like the first painting with the colorful city buildings. It looks retro and carefree.

Also, I apologize for not asking first if i could, but I swiped your photo of the corn sheaves in the Smokies. Being an earth girl, that picture just snagged me with its well...earthy goodness. I made it my wallpaper. Is that okay? In fact my friend was over this morning and commented on how pretty it was and that was from across the room.

And the welcome mats are cool. That's your special little touch. Every forum I've been at has been graphic intensive and welcomes were the most intensive. I've always thought it was odd that we don't use more here in FG.
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

:) You're perfectly welcome to use the pic, RG. Glad you like it. Enjoy!

PS. I found this pic on the net and it's now my desktop. :)

Attached files
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

Just a commentary...

America has lost her innocence. I think we are seeing an end of an era. With so few heroes for young people to look up to, they don't know what they are supposed to become as adults. (Paul Newman was one of those heroes, IMO. I'm sure he wasn't perfect, but he lead his life in an admirable way.) Nowadays, we see some clergy,some government officials, some educators, some in law enforcement, etc............people we used to look up to and admire......lying, cheating, abusing their power.

I don't see alot of respect................for our country, for our beliefs, for our schools. We've gone "casual" about our dress, our vocabulary, our relationships.

We expect instant gratification in all our needs.........hunger, information, communication, entertainment. The so-called reality shows that clutter our TV programming, show people disrespecting and demeaning each other constantly. We can,ofcourse , choose not to watch them, but this is what is available as entertainment. The news is todays headlines, tomorrow is something else.

Now that America has lost her innocence, it's time for her to grow up. And be responsible for her decisions. And be accountable for her mistakes. And be a country that deserves respect and admiration.

I do love America. My country. But I'm not too happy with her right now. She is not all she can be. There is no over-night fix, but we do need to look seriuosly at ourselves as Americans and pay attention to the proverbial road we are choosing for ourselves and our children. We are supposed to be the UNITED states.
Odie

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by Odie »

I finally found your room, good evening!:)
sunny104

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by sunny104 »

beautiful pics!

I LOVE road trips!! We're hoping to go to Florida again either during Christmas or spring break. :-6
Nomad

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by Nomad »

The Smokies are nice. Really nice. If it werent for all of the in-bred scary guys and their kooky pets Id consider moving there myself.

I AM AWESOME MAN
Cow Patty

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by Cow Patty »

Hello AFTR....great place you got here.

I will be leaving for the Smokys Friday afternoon. Hopefully the leaves will have changed a bit more for me.

Looks like you had a great time:)
Nomad

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by Nomad »

Cow Patty;1000870 wrote: Hello AFTR....great place you got here.

I will be leaving for the Smokys Friday afternoon. Hopefully the leaves will have changed a bit more for me.

Looks like you had a great time:)

Dont forget to hike up and see this.

Attached files
I AM AWESOME MAN
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

What a pleasant surprise to see ya'll here.....................even you, Nomad. :wah:

The leaves in the Smokey's should indeed be starting to change by now. In full glory, they are absolutely gorgeous. Like watching fire-works on the Fourth of July........only Mother Nature supplies the bright colors.

Now that you have found my "room", don't be strangers. Come back any time. :)l
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

When I got down from my soapbox yesterday............I thought "Hey.......soapbox........soapbox derby!" That's those races folks have with little vehicles designed by themselves. No motors, they just race down-hill. It's competative...but mostly fun. :)

Have you have been in one of those races.........or just watched one?

Attached files
Odie

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by Odie »

soapbox derbys are awesome fun!
Nomad

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by Nomad »

87% of native Tennesseans are a result of close familial in-breeding.

No one can question this well known fact.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Odie

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by Odie »

Nomad;1001679 wrote: 87% of native Tennesseans are a result of close familial in-breeding.

No one can question this well known fact.

I despise inbreeding of dogs!
Cow Patty

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by Cow Patty »

We host a soap box derby here in my town each year. We are the 3rd largest Soap Box Derby City in the world.

Its fun watching these kids, they have a ball with it.
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

"Shine on, shine on harvest moon..............up in the sky"

An old song to celebrate autumn and love. Just what is a "harvest moon"? The pictures below should give the picture. Have you seen one?

Attached files
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

This is also a "harvest moon". :wah:

Attached files
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

As I was driving home from work this afternoon, I noticed the car ahead of me was swerving a bit, and since it was going slower, I passed it. I noticed as I drove by the car, the female driver was driving and..............reading a newspaper. So I witnessed "STUPIDITY PERSONIFIED".

Have you ever witnesses the same mind-boggler?
Cow Patty

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by Cow Patty »

Hello AFTR....off to the Smoky's this afternoon:)
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

Cow Patty;1006950 wrote: Hello AFTR....off to the Smoky's this afternoon:)

Have a great time! :) Bring back some pics if you can.

Hubby's been talking about going back for the weekend later this month. ;)
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

Last week, Guppy posted a thread about stepping out on her front porch. In doing that, she may have saved a life. I was impressed.

I had been considering the value of porches. I have a small back porch that I step out on. It is private and looks out into our tree-surrounded back yard. When the weather is nice, we set our parakeets out there in let them get some fresh air in their cage. Sometimes in the evening, before the darkness completely covers the night, I stand on the back porch in my night gown and just feel the night air and listen to the sounds of the creatures settling down.

A porch is on the outside, but it is part of your home. You feel safe there. You almost feel like a part of two worlds...the inner sanctuary of your home and the magic and mystery of the outdoors. The porch in an outward extension of your home......your heart. :)

Attached files
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

For those who dare visit today........... a tart and a tosser. Click on the orange cartoon.

I just feel ornery today. :D

Attached files
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

Disregard the previous post. It was not meant to insult anybody and I had no one in mind when I posted it. I was just amused by the words "tart" and "tosser" that some of my English buddies use to kid each other. :)
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

I'm travelling on a lonely road,

My thoughts are in a somber mode.

Sometimes I check my rear view mirror,

I look both in relief and fear.

Where I've been to where I'll be

Are places oh so dear to me.

Attached files
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

Just wanted to share some photos from around my home.

Everyone once in a awhile, law enforcement officers have a road block in front of our home. They check licenses and proof of insurance. I took this photo on the last such event. One afternoon during a road block, we were just coming home from work and pulled into our yard. An officer came up to us and asked, "May I help you", thinking we were trying to avoid them. I said," We live here." And he smiled and walked away.:wah:

Beyond the trees behind our home is a cotton field. These huge farm vehicles were parked and ready to get the cotton up.

Attached files
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

Sunday mornings. Even if you don't go to a church, it's a time for reflection. A time for rest. A time to rejuvenate.

Attached files
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

As these October days pass by here at Forumgarden, I am pleased to see more Halloween avatars and signatures pop up on the posts. Oh........the anticipation and the dread...........the dark night, the full moon.............................Trick or Treat!

Click on the little ghost, the little witch, and the little pumpkins for a little Halloween fun. :)

Attached files
Oscar Namechange

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by Oscar Namechange »

along-for-the-ride;997670 wrote: Clingman's Dome

Anyone else been there?

Clingman's Dome?? That sounds like some rectal disease to me. :wah:
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by Oscar Namechange »

We're not having Halloween in Britain. For one, we are British and that's good enough.

For two, we have enough witches, ghouls, wizards, warlocks, trickery and magic in our government thank you very much. We can quite be doing without any more.

We also have Wizard Charlie and Witch Camilla meddling around the countryside bothering wildlife.

We have "Bonfire Night" in Britain. It's a quaint old custom where we celebrate the death of "Guy Fawkes". He tried to blow Parliment up and he was hung, drawn, quartered and his entrails speared onto the railings of Westminster as a deterent to anyone else who thinks of blowing our government up.

Every November the 5th, it is a quaint old British custom to steal your neighbours fence, chop it up and light a bonfire. Children make an effigy of Guy Fawkes and partake in another quaint fairly modern custom that involves sitting outside a supermarket with the effigy begging for money. if you don't give them any money, they are allowed by law to give you a mouthfull of verbal abuse.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

Cooler weather.............seems more like autumn.........finally.

Saturday.........had to work.............overtime. :D

For supper, I'm fixing oyster stew. A good cool weather meal.

Do you like to ride on a bumpy road? Just askin'. It's kind fun...........just fasten that seatbelt. :wah:

No, I won't be riding on any bumpy roads after I eat supper.

Attached files
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

Tis October.........and here is why orange and black are beautiful. :)

Attached files
Odie

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by Odie »

along-for-the-ride;1027278 wrote: Tis October.........and here is why orange and black are beautiful. :)

had to stop in and say Hi!

awesome pics!

Return to “ForumGarden Hotel”