Huh?

Fact is stranger than fiction.
AnneBoleyn

Huh?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

British politician wants to continue representing constituents via Skype after move to U.S.

"A British politician is refusing to quit his $15,000-a-year job — even though he is moving to the U.S.....................Suffolk County Council lawmaker Brian Riley claims he'll still be able to fully service his voters in Hadleigh from almost 4,000 miles away in Raleigh, N.C., reports ITV News."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/b ... -1.2146644
LarsMac

Huh?

Post by LarsMac »

Shouldn't there be a residency requirement involved, there?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Huh?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

LarsMac;1475785 wrote: Shouldn't there be a residency requirement involved, there?

:yh_think

I don't know.
flopstock

Huh?

Post by flopstock »

LarsMac;1475785 wrote: Shouldn't there be a residency requirement involved, there?
Around here you have to live where you would represent, don't you? Didn't Hillary move to New York so that she could run a few years ago?
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

FourPart

Huh?

Post by FourPart »

How did I know he was a Tory before I even read the article?
Bruv

Huh?

Post by Bruv »

I don't know.......but despite ITV News reporting he cannot be removed before 2017, I should think if his local party want him out he will be out.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
FourPart

Huh?

Post by FourPart »

Why can't he be removed before then? There a General Election coming up in May. How many constituents are going to be stupid enough to vote for someone who doesn't even live in the country to represent the? I know they're Tories, but even so....
gmc

Huh?

Post by gmc »

FourPart;1475794 wrote: Why can't he be removed before then? There a General Election coming up in May. How many constituents are going to be stupid enough to vote for someone who doesn't even live in the country to represent the? I know they're Tories, but even so....

You answered your own question there I think.
AnneBoleyn

Huh?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Even if he won this election, is it legal for him to serve from another country? How can it be?
Bryn Mawr

Huh?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart;1475794 wrote: Why can't he be removed before then? There a General Election coming up in May. How many constituents are going to be stupid enough to vote for someone who doesn't even live in the country to represent the? I know they're Tories, but even so....

He's on a county council and only ¿a third? of the seats will be contested this year.
Bruv

Huh?

Post by Bruv »

AnneBoleyn;1475808 wrote: Even if he won this election, is it legal for him to serve from another country? How can it be?

Local Councilors are the first level of local Government.

My Local Council has 43 Councilors in 35 Wards, my wife stood unsuccessfully twice in our Ward.

The same area is served by one MP.

Many Councilors live in other Wards in the same Town or area, never known one to live in another country
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
FourPart

Huh?

Post by FourPart »

The allowance (as opposed to a salary) received, though, is conditional on on their attending Council Meetings & meetings with their constituents. A commute not exactly practical from U.S.A.

Councillor allowances

Data on the members' allowances payments over the financial year.

Councillors receive an allowance to cover the time they spend on council work and to cover their expenses.

Some Councillors have to spend more time at the council because they have a particular role. Councillors with these extra responsibilities receive a special responsibility allowance which differs depending on their role.

(Councillor allowances | Suffolk County Council)

Brian Riley's Allowance:

Expenses:

(http://www.suffolk.gov.uk/assets/suffol ... 3-2014.pdf)

Return to “Bizarre News Stories”