An eye for an eye

Fact is stranger than fiction.
flopstock

An eye for an eye

Post by flopstock »

Creeps me out. What creeps me out more is that this guy now is walking around knowing that he will be blinded in the other at some point.

Will be interesting to see how many similar crimes happened before as compared to in the future.

BBC News - Iranians back 'eye for an eye' punishment
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

FourPart

An eye for an eye

Post by FourPart »

Barbaric? Perhaps. But who are we to determine what the laws are in their own country. These countries may be stuck in the early Middle Ages, living little more than with the Law of the Jungle, but if they're happy to stay as unevolved animals, why not let them. As the article states, "But BBC Monitoring found that many Iranians took to social media to support the verdict." The man deliberately broke the laws of his own country knowing full well what the consequences could be. In some ways I can understand the quote, "It isn't even enough," said one online commenter. "They should have acid thrown on the convict's face.". That would, at least have truly been an eye for an eye - punishing like with like. A sentence such as this is not on the same sort of level as has previously been known in Sharia Law of 2 teenage boys being publicly hanged for the 'crime' of being Gay.
flopstock

An eye for an eye

Post by flopstock »

FourPart;1475698 wrote: Barbaric? Perhaps. But who are we to determine what the laws are in their own country. These countries may be stuck in the early Middle Ages, living little more than with the Law of the Jungle, but if they're happy to stay as unevolved animals, why not let them. As the article states, "But BBC Monitoring found that many Iranians took to social media to support the verdict." The man deliberately broke the laws of his own country knowing full well what the consequences could be. In some ways I can understand the quote, "It isn't even enough," said one online commenter. "They should have acid thrown on the convict's face.". That would, at least have truly been an eye for an eye - punishing like with like. A sentence such as this is not on the same sort of level as has previously been known in Sharia Law of 2 teenage boys being publicly hanged for the 'crime' of being Gay.

I just can't help wondering if they find it to be a deterrent or if maybe they don't care if it is or not. I do know that while I can't imagine heading that way I can guarantee I would be very careful about the method I chose.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Bruv

An eye for an eye

Post by Bruv »

How different is blinding somebody for a crime of blinding, than to execute somebody for killing ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
flopstock

An eye for an eye

Post by flopstock »

Bruv;1475718 wrote: How different is blinding somebody for a crime of blinding, than to execute somebody for killing ?

Executing is the easier out, IMO, than what they are doing here. They've blinded him in one eye with the knowledge that the other is being done at a later date.. ewwwww

Bruv

An eye for an eye

Post by Bruv »

flopstock;1475737 wrote: Executing is the easier out, IMO, than what they are doing here. They've blinded him in one eye with the knowledge that the other is being done at a later date.. ewwwww

So on moral grounds, better to end a life than put somebodies eye out ?
flopstock

An eye for an eye

Post by flopstock »

Bruv;1475739 wrote: So on moral grounds, better to end a life than put somebodies eye out ?

Oh heck yeah... think about the torture of 'knowing' , of losing it in one eye and then 'knowing' it's coming but not when... ewwwwww

Bruv

An eye for an eye

Post by Bruv »

flopstock;1475744 wrote: Oh heck yeah... think about the torture of 'knowing' , of losing it in one eye and then 'knowing' it's coming but not when... ewwwwww

You are a very strange person.

By the same logic a suspended sentence, which would be taken into account for any future misdemeanors is a inhumane and cruel torture.
flopstock

An eye for an eye

Post by flopstock »

Bruv;1475746 wrote: You are a very strange person.

By the same logic a suspended sentence, which would be taken into account for any future misdemeanors is a inhumane and cruel torture.
Not at all. You would then know you could prevent that sentence by behaving correctly(if I read you right)

Just imagine that they have blinded you in one eye and told you they will be back at some point for the other. the only thing worse I could imagine would have been to turn him over to work for the victims family at that point and telling him it was up to them to decide if he was working hard enough for them or whether it was time for that second eye to go.

Bruv

An eye for an eye

Post by Bruv »

And THAT is worse than death ?
flopstock

An eye for an eye

Post by flopstock »

Bruv;1475750 wrote: And THAT is worse than death ?

Iran blinds man in 'eye for an eye' justice - CNN.com

10 years in prison- Iranian prison- and blind - I would think he would rather be dead. The victims wife paid him to do this, did you know that? What happened to her?

Bruv

An eye for an eye

Post by Bruv »

I think you are correct, it is a barbaric form of punishment. I am not agreeing with it or condoning it, just comparing it to the way some countries take a life for a life, which is the ultimate barbarity. An eye for an eye is the extension of the same idea, punishment to fit the crime.

I disagree with both, but to say that blinding a person in one eye, with the intension of blinding the other eye later and that is worse than death is ridiculous.

If you give that option to those on death row, I think they would have both eyes put out with immediate affect in exchange for lifting the death sentence.
flopstock

An eye for an eye

Post by flopstock »

Bruv;1475769 wrote: I think you are correct, it is a barbaric form of punishment. I am not agreeing with it or condoning it, just comparing it to the way some countries take a life for a life, which is the ultimate barbarity. An eye for an eye is the extension of the same idea, punishment to fit the crime.

I disagree with both, but to say that blinding a person in one eye, with the intension of blinding the other eye later and that is worse than death is ridiculous.

If you give that option to those on death row, I think they would have both eyes put out with immediate affect in exchange for lifting the death sentence.

I disagree. Both immediately would be one thing, but the slow motion torture of one today and 'who knows when' the other will be popped would drive anyone nuts! Just kill me already!

Don't look at it objectively, look at it with the emotion as if it is actually happening to you

Bruv

An eye for an eye

Post by Bruv »

flopstock;1475770 wrote: I disagree. Both immediately would be one thing, but the slow motion torture of one today and 'who knows when' the other will be popped would drive anyone nuts! Just kill me already!

Don't look at it objectively, look at it with the emotion as if it is actually happening to you

And what about those on death row in the USA, going through all the appeals, never knowing when or if they will die ?

Give me the chance to go through appeal after appeal or poke two eyes out, and I would do it myself.
flopstock

An eye for an eye

Post by flopstock »

Bruv;1475772 wrote: And what about those on death row in the USA, going through all the appeals, never knowing when or if they will die ?

Give me the chance to go through appeal after appeal or poke two eyes out, and I would do it myself.

No, you are only getting one poked out and then live knowing they will just pop the other on a whim.

The good news is that I read they had a hard time finding a doctor to do the deed and the guy was sedated.

FourPart

An eye for an eye

Post by FourPart »

If you do a little Googling you can easily find videos of live amputations under Sharia sentences. I could link them here, but good taste forbids. The victims are bound to a chair, with a hood over their head, while the executioner hacks the hand off. This is not a swift slice of the sword, but more like an everyday carving knife. The amputated hand is then presented to the baying crowd who celebrate in grotesque delight.

This is the accepted justice of countries that remain in the middle ages. These are also the countries that rule the World Economy with their oil. Who are we to interfere with their laws? But shouldn't we have a moral duty not to further their grip on the World Economy by finding alternative, better, more eco-friendly fuel sources, and leave them to return to the Law of the Jungle - as always, in the name of Religion & a loving God & Prophet.
Bruv

An eye for an eye

Post by Bruv »

FourPart;1475809 wrote: If you do a little Googling you can easily find videos of live amputations under Sharia sentences. I could link them here, but good taste forbids. The victims are bound to a chair, with a hood over their head, while the executioner hacks the hand off. This is not a swift slice of the sword, but more like an everyday carving knife. The amputated hand is then presented to the baying crowd who celebrate in grotesque delight.

This is the accepted justice of countries that remain in the middle ages. These are also the countries that rule the World Economy with their oil. Who are we to interfere with their laws? But shouldn't we have a moral duty not to further their grip on the World Economy by finding alternative, better, more eco-friendly fuel sources, and leave them to return to the Law of the Jungle - as always, in the name of Religion & a loving God & Prophet.

I have no need to see the amputations or the beheadings to believe they are happening.

I have said I think the practice is barbaric, I was comparing it with the practice in America in particular where they condemn to death, but spend years 'torturing' the convicted by a series of appeals that can go on for years and years, and specially flopstock's opinion that killing is less barbaric than punishment by taking an eye or two out especially when the second eye's future is uncertain.

Yes it is barbaric but on a scale of barbarity I fail to see a hell of a lot of difference from the 'advanced' western world leader's practice of the Three strikes Laws
flopstock

An eye for an eye

Post by flopstock »

Bruv;1475818 wrote: I have no need to see the amputations or the beheadings to believe they are happening.

I have said I think the practice is barbaric, I was comparing it with the practice in America in particular where they condemn to death, but spend years 'torturing' the convicted by a series of appeals that can go on for years and years, and specially flopstock's opinion that killing is less barbaric than punishment by taking an eye or two out especially when the second eye's future is uncertain.

Yes it is barbaric but on a scale of barbarity I fail to see a hell of a lot of difference from the 'advanced' western world leader's practice of the Three strikes Laws

I don't know Bruv, it may be this gradual loss of vision that has started to creep up on me with my diabetes that has me overly sensitive to the eyes.

Three strikes is a result of pure laziness. If our courts locked up the vicious, forcibly treated addicts and other non violent offenders, we'd be a much more productive society. But absolutely I have no issue with putting murderers to sleep.

FourPart

An eye for an eye

Post by FourPart »

flopstock;1475825 wrote: I don't know Bruv, it may be this gradual loss of vision that has started to creep up on me with my diabetes that has me overly sensitive to the eyes.

Three strikes is a result of pure laziness. If our courts locked up the vicious, forcibly treated addicts and other non violent offenders, we'd be a much more productive society. But absolutely I have no issue with putting murderers to sleep.

I just see the 3 Strikes Rule as being self defeating. Take a typical scenario - some kid with a couple of reasonably petty crime under his belt (Car Theft, Burglary - even Shoplifting), gets stopped driving away another car. He then takes the obvious logic that he either gives up and, at best, spends the rest of his life in a cage or take a chance at escape, shoot the arresting officer and, at worst, spend the rest of his life in a cage. If I was in that situation I know which I'd opt for.

The stupid thing is that if they manage to avoid getting caught for the minor ones for 3 years they get away with it altogether. If they get caught they get life.

Return to “Bizarre News Stories”