You couldn't make it up....Gun Law

Fact is stranger than fiction.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Iowa is granting permits to acquire or carry guns in public to people who are legally or completely blind.

Why ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1435733 wrote: Iowa is granting permits to acquire or carry guns in public to people who are legally or completely blind.

Why ?

I would assume (silly thing to do I know) that there is some form of compitency test involved in gun ownership - hitting a barn door at ten paces springs to mind!
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I wonder if Iowa allows blind people to drive as well.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

SnoozeAgain;1435743 wrote: I wonder if Iowa allows blind people to drive as well.

If it impinges on their "Constitutional Rights" they might.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

My first thought was why the heck anybody should ask permission from a government agency to exercise a Constitutional right?

Blind people with guns. There is nothing else in the anti-gun arsenal than that new low, picking on the blind?

So now what? We need new laws to serve what purpose?
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Again....................I understand the words, it's the order in which you place them and the reasoning behind their use that stumps me.

The greatest danger of violence in our nation doesn't come from guns or even terrorists - but rather from a feral population gone wild.........and of course the guns they are packing
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1435788 wrote: Again....................I understand the words, it's the order in which you place them and the reasoning behind their use that stumps me.

OK, you misquote my SIGNATURE to make a point, which has what to do with anything??
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1435788 wrote: Again....................I understand the words, it's the order in which you place them and the reasoning behind their use that stumps me.

Then you proceed to misquote me.

Good work.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

tude dog;1435800 wrote: OK, you misquote my SIGNATURE to make a point, which has what to do with anything??

Your signature was an added extra..............cos I thought it needed that little added part.

But the rest of what I said was nothing to do with that, it was in reply to your post.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Vision tests should be required, that's just common sense. Why the hell would you want to arm a blind person? They could shoot someone mistakenly BECAUSE THEY CAN'T SEE!

Holy sh*t, this isn't rocket surgery.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

SnoozeAgain;1435809 wrote: Vision tests should be required, that's just common sense. Why the hell would you want to arm a blind person? They could shoot someone mistakenly BECAUSE THEY CAN'T SEE!

Holy sh*t, this isn't rocket surgery.

I love the assumption a blind person is somehow irresponsible when it comes to firearms.

What I see, uh well never mind.

So because one is blind he/she is suppose to walk around defenseless? I mean how cruel is that?
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

tude dog;1435816 wrote: I love the assumption a blind person is somehow irresponsible when it comes to firearms.

So because one is blind he/she is suppose to walk around defenseless? I mean how cruel is that?

Are you being serious?.......thats a genuine question
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1435835 wrote: Are you being serious?.......thats a genuine question

Yes

This story really is a non issue.

What I read are Iowa sheriff's complaining that they no longer have the power to arbitrarily deny permits.

Vision requirements are either directly or indirectly part of the weapon permit criteria in some surrounding states.

In Nebraska, for example, applicants for a permit to carry a concealed handgun must provide “proof of vision” by either presenting a valid state driver’s license or a statement by an eye doctor that the person meets vision requirements set for a typical vehicle operator’s license.

Other states have indirect requirements that could — but don’t automatically — disqualify people who are blind. That includes Missouri and Minnesota, where applicants must complete a live fire test, which means they have to shoot and hit a target.

That's for concealed carry, something I am sure the writer of that piece would rather the average reader not catch.

Free states like Vermont, Alaska, Arizona, no permits required for concealed carry.

Based on a quick search,

No permit necessary for open carry in Nebraska, or Missouri. Minnesota does require permit.

In Kansas not all counties allow open carry, but those that do, no permit required.

I could go on to other states like Utah, New Mexico, no permit required. There are other states.

My point being, there is no issue, no news.

I sleep well secure in the knowledge there is nothing to fear from the blind and their guns.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog;1435816 wrote: I love the assumption a blind person is somehow irresponsible when it comes to firearms.

If I were to be asked what would definitvly render someone unfit to carry a gun then top of the list would be the inability to see what they were shooting at.

It's not an assumption that they are irresponsible, it's the knowledge that they are incapable, by definition, of using a gun in an open environment without endangering members of the public.

I agree that there are levels of blindness but for someone to be registered blind then their eyesight must be beyond the point at which they can guarantee what they are shooting at or, more importantly, what is behind what they're shooting at should they miss.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Bryn Mawr;1435849 wrote: If I were to be asked what would definitvly render someone unfit to carry a gun then top of the list would be the inability to see what they were shooting at.

It's not an assumption that they are irresponsible, it's the knowledge that they are incapable, by definition, of using a gun in an open environment without endangering members of the public.

I agree that there are levels of blindness but for someone to be registered blind then their eyesight must be beyond the point at which they can guarantee what they are shooting at or, more importantly, what is behind what they're shooting at should they miss.

I would think blind and deaf.:thinking:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Bryn Mawr;1435849 wrote: If I were to be asked what would definitvly render someone unfit to carry a gun then top of the list would be the inability to see what they were shooting at.

First of all your last point of what lay behind the target is really an important for what ever reason one fires a gun.

My whole point is over much the country blind people have the legal right to carry a gun and this Iowa thing is the first to make national news.

Thinking of Mrs. Dog befoere I met her she illegally carried a concealed handgun while waiting for a bus to go to work. Mrs. Dog isn't blind (imagine that) but how much more a blind woman need a gun for protection?
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

tude dog;1435837 wrote: What I read are Iowa sheriff's complaining that they no longer have the power to arbitrarily deny permits, even to people with no sight

I have editted your quote again....................sorry.

I am actually rolling on the floor urinating myself laughing.................at the passion and total sincerity of your answer.

I hope it is the differences in our shared language, because it just cannot be anything else.....like logic.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1435856 wrote: I have editted your quote again....................sorry.

I am actually rolling on the floor urinating myself laughing.................at the passion and total sincerity of your answer.

I hope it is the differences in our shared language, because it just cannot be anything else.....like logic.

A blind woman being raped and you would deny her a gun.

Real funny stuff there.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog;1435855 wrote: First of all your last point of what lay behind the target is really an important for what ever reason one fires a gun.

My whole point is over much the country blind people have the legal right to carry a gun and this Iowa thing is the first to make national news.

Thinking of Mrs. Dog befoere I met her she illegally carried a concealed handgun while waiting for a bus to go to work. Mrs. Dog isn't blind (imagine that) but how much more a blind woman need a gun for protection?

If a blind woman is not able, by virtue of her blindness, of firing a gun accurately, what help is it going to be to her?

On the contrary, if she believes that it will help then it will be a danger to her by making her "brave" and putting her into situations she would have avoided without it.

The fact that blind people in other states have the right to carry is immaterial in a discussion about whether it is safe or reasonable to allow them to do so.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Bryn Mawr;1435858 wrote: If a blind woman is not able, by virtue of her blindness, of firing a gun accurately, what help is it going to be to her?

On the contrary, if she believes that it will help then it will be a danger to her by making her "brave" and putting her into situations she would have avoided without it.

The fact that blind people in other states have the right to carry is immaterial in a discussion about whether it is safe or reasonable to allow them to do so.

I demur.

This is a nothing story, more having to do with certain Sheriffs unhappy with their loss of power over the average citizen.

There is no crisis of blind people killing.

Give it a rest.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Bryn Mawr;1435858 wrote: If a blind woman is not able, by virtue of her blindness, of firing a gun accurately, what help is it going to be to her?

In an abduction, rape situation where there is body contact, I could see it.

All in all, who cares if a woman feels safer carring a gun?

Bryn Mawr;1435858 wrote: On the contrary, if she believes that it will help then it will be a danger to her by making her "brave" and putting her into situations she would have avoided without it.

Like going about your daily business?

What are you suggesting?

Bryn Mawr;1435858 wrote: The fact that blind people in other states have the right to carry is immaterial in a discussion about whether it is safe or reasonable to allow them to do so.

Oh yes it is, most certainly.

Think about it. That is the best gague for this whole discussion.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog;1435859 wrote: I demur.

This is a nothing story, more having to do with certain Sheriffs unhappy with their loss of power over the average citizen.

There is no crisis of blind people killing.

Give it a rest.

There might well be no crisis of blind people killing - most blind people would have far more gumption than to carry a gun.

This is about the attitude shown by the story and the lack of common sense.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Bryn Mawr;1435862 wrote: There might well be no crisis of blind people killing - most blind people would have far more gumption than to carry a gun.

As an American gun owner I have to agree. Blind people don't need guns, drivers licenses or binoculars.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog;1435861 wrote: In an abduction, rape situation where there is body contact, I could see it.

All in all, who cares if a woman feels safer carring a gun?

By the time it's a contact situation it's way too late

Can you not see - it's not about the blind person feeling safe, it's about the rest of the public being safe from an inherently unsafe gun. Would you give a gun to a psychopath with anger management prolems? No more would you give a gun to a person who could not see a barn door at ten paces.

tude dog;1435861 wrote:

Like going about your daily business?

What are you suggesting?

It's a very basic concept, those that feel secure are more likely to put themselves into a dangerous situation that those that feel insecure. In this instance, by a dangerous situation I'm suggesting walking down a back alley rather than walking the longer way round the road for example.

tude dog;1435861 wrote:

Oh yes it is, most certainly.

Think about it. That is the best gague for this whole discussion.

That is the worst gague for making a judgement. Think about it, almost everyone believed that the Earth was flat but that did not make it true - that ?most? states allow blind people to carry guns likewise does not make it right.

Or shall we extend the range a bit and be less parochial? Most countries in the world do not allow blind people to carry guns - does that make it wrong?
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Bryn Mawr;1435862 wrote: There might well be no crisis of blind people killing - most blind people would have far more gumption than to carry a gun.

Common sense according to you.

I supposed blind women being kidnapped, raped is beyond the pale. Heaven forbid she should have a gun.

Do I really have to spell it out to you?

Who among us are the more vulnerable than the blind?

I am flabbergasted at the attitude blind people are irresponsible.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog;1435872 wrote: Common sense according to you.

I supposed blind women being kidnapped, raped is beyond the pale. Heaven forbid she should have a gun.

Yes, you do have to spell it out to me - yes, the blind are vulnerable but how does carrying a gun overcome that vulnerability?

Who has said the blind are irresponsible - they're your words, not mine. A typical deflection technique don't you think?

Shall we talk relative risk instead? The risk of a blind person injuring or killing a member of the public, not through irresponsibility but through incapacity, against the risk of a blind person not being able to fight her way out of trouble through lack of a gun.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Bryn Mawr;1435880 wrote: Yes, you do have to spell it out to me - yes, the blind are vulnerable but how does carrying a gun overcome that vulnerability?

A gun by itself is not a panacea, but a tool.

Bryn Mawr;1435880 wrote: Who has said the blind are irresponsible - they're your words, not mine. A typical deflection technique don't you think?

Fair point.

To clarify. It seems that blind people with gun are more dangerous than a sighted person

Now my question is, why shouldn't the blind have the same rights as other citiizens?

Bryn Mawr;1435880 wrote: Shall we talk relative risk instead? The risk of a blind person injuring or killing a member of the public, not through irresponsibility but through incapacity, against the risk of a blind person not being able to fight her way out of trouble through lack of a gun.

What i find interesting here is the argument to restrict anther's right based on speculation, ignoring fact.

If there were a rash of blind people blowing away the average citizen I could see some concern.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog;1435890 wrote: A gun by itself is not a panacea, but a tool.

True - but how does carrying a gun overcome that vulnerability?

tude dog;1435890 wrote: Fair point.

To clarify. It seems that blind people with gun are more dangerous than a sighted person

Now my question is, why shouldn't the blind have the same rights as other citiizens?

Because blind people with gun are more dangerous than a sighted person

tude dog;1435890 wrote: What i find interesting here is the argument to restrict anther's right based on speculation, ignoring fact.

If there were a rash of blind people blowing away the average citizen I could see some concern.

What is the speculation and what is the fact?

To my mind the fact is that blind people are inherently less capable of firing a gun accurately and safely that sighted people.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

tude dog;1435890 wrote: Now my question is, why shouldn't the blind have the same rights as other citiizens?
Tv Theme Citizen Smith - YouTube
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

tude dog;1435872 wrote: Common sense according to you.

Would you please provide some links to news articles about blind women being kidnapped, raped? You make it sound like this is a common problem for blind women.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

You know what I find so amazing about all this? The far right NRA supporters are vehement about blind women needing to protect themselves with a gun but they deny us the right to adequate and inexpensive women health centers in case one of us gets raped and needs medical care. :thinking:
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Bryn Mawr;1435897 wrote: True - but how does carrying a gun overcome that vulnerability?

It can stop an attack instantly.

Bryn Mawr;1435897 wrote: Because blind people with gun are more dangerous than a sighted person

I don't know about that. I would imagine a blind person who deals with that disability daily is well aware of it's limitations. A sighted person is the one more likely to shoot a gun across a crowded room. Or it would seem to me.

Bryn Mawr;1435897 wrote: What is the speculation and what is the fact?

I think we both are dealing in speculation.

Bryn Mawr;1435897 wrote: To my mind the fact is that blind people are inherently less capable of firing a gun accurately and safely that sighted people.

I believe that depends on the situation.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

SnoozeAgain;1435903 wrote: Would you please provide some links to news articles about blind women being kidnapped, raped? You make it sound like this is a common problem for blind women.

I wasn't trying to make it sound like a common problem for a blind woman to be raped anymore than the average sighted woman.

A quick Google found me a blind woman, not kidnapped though.

Man gets 15 years for raping blind woman

Consider according to the FBI in 2011 there were 83,425 forcible rapes. How many were blind or vision impaired? I don't know.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

SnoozeAgain;1435904 wrote: You know what I find so amazing about all this? The far right NRA supporters are vehement about blind women needing to protect themselves with a gun

Naw. I never meet a NRA member, far right or left who ever made such a statement.

What the average NRA member would say it's a right. Choice. Ours bodies, our safety.

SnoozeAgain;1435904 wrote: but they deny us the right to adequate and inexpensive women health centers in case one of us gets raped and needs medical care. :thinking:

That's news to me.

Return to “Bizarre News Stories”