For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact

Fact is stranger than fiction.
tabby

Post by tabby »

I always find it interesting to read these stories of physical & cultural isolation, whether it be this Russian family, a Japanese soldier living in a cave & unaware of the end of WWII, or a tribe of aboriginal South Americans living deep in the Amazonian jungle. Sadly, these people never seem to adapt into modern society well but truth be told it can be trying even when we're used to it! Wouldn't it be better sometimes to just leave them be?

Who knows who'll be found next!

For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII | History & Archaeology | Smithsonian Magazine
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

This is an amazing story of child abuse. I'm going to re-read it as soon as I can. Thanks Tabby you introduce the most incredible things!
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Fascinating story. However I see it more as the wife and children held hostage and eventually accepting their harsh way of life.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Very interesting, tabby.

I've added Part 1 of the video that is referred to in the article.

Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Scrat

Post by Scrat »

Really, who are we to judge them from where we stand? When this all started it was a different world. While I agree that the people could have done things differently we should look at them for what they endured for so long. We could probably learn a lot from them for what they did was in fact quite amazing.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

How did he think isolating his children from the rest of humanity would be a good thing? He didn't consider that they might want to meet others and marry?
tabby

Post by tabby »

I think he started out well intentioned enough and left for the wilderness to keep his children from being slaughtered. If he was as isolated as the article relates, then he really had no way of knowing if the world had changed or if they were still in fact in peril. Since he was a religious zealot, he may have been waiting for a sign to return. Forty years can zip by ...
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Ummm, no. 40 years doesn't zip by. He'd be able to see his children becoming more and more withdrawn and strange, the possibility that they'd be able to lead normal lives a very faint possibility. He basically ripped their lives away. I understand why he did it but he made a very hard decision that basically ruined his children's lives.
tabby

Post by tabby »

SnoozeAgain;1427412 wrote: Ummm, no. 40 years doesn't zip by. He'd be able to see his children becoming more and more withdrawn and strange, the possibility that they'd be able to lead normal lives a very faint possibility. He basically ripped their lives away. I understand why he did it but he made a very hard decision that basically ruined his children's lives.

My 40 years comment was a joke even if not well taken ...

Return to “Bizarre News Stories”