Pastor arrested for holding home Bible study

Fact is stranger than fiction.
katsung47

Post by katsung47 »

July 11, 2012

Today, Michael Salman sits in jail following a raid on his home because the city doesn't allow people to hold private Bible studies on their own property! Fox News quoted Phoenix City Prosecutor Vicki Hall as saying, "It came down to zoning and proper permitting. Anytime you are holding a gathering of people continuously as he does, we have concerns about people being able to exit the facility properly in case there is a fire."

Pastor arrested for holding home Bible study - Atlanta Bible study | Examiner.com
spot

Post by spot »

What an astoundingly misleading article. What's Fox News for?

Despite What FOX News Tells You, Michael Salman Is Not Going to Jail for Hosting a Bible Study
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

katsung47;1399436 wrote: Pastor arrested for holding home Bible study

July 11, 2012

Today, Michael Salman sits in jail following a raid on his home because the city doesn't allow people to hold private Bible studies on their own property! Fox News quoted Phoenix City Prosecutor Vicki Hall as saying, "It came down to zoning and proper permitting. Anytime you are holding a gathering of people continuously as he does, we have concerns about people being able to exit the facility properly in case there is a fire."

Pastor arrested for holding home Bible study - Atlanta Bible study | Examiner.com

Hi Katsung,

Several reports of this are doing the rounds on facebook as It's a talking point.

Father of six faces 60 days behind bars for hosting Bible study in his OWN home against city rules | Mail Online

According to the Daily Mail, he has already appeared In court. According to court documents, Mr Salman was found guilty of 67 code violations. Besides the 60-day jail term and probation, Salman must also pay a $12,180 fine.

The story appears to be very much true but It appears It's more about breach of safety regulations than actually practising religion.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Here are a couple of links that help get it.

Phoenix Officials Release 'Fact Sheet' in Jailed Pastor's Home Bible Study Case

Official Site of the City of Phoenix - Fact Sheet Regarding the Michael Salman Case
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
yaaarrrgg

Post by yaaarrrgg »

Yeah, they shouldn't worry about safety codes when it's a home church. If the building becomes a giant fireball and cooks everyone, it obviously means the folks were sinners.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

yaaarrrgg;1399448 wrote: Yeah, they shouldn't worry about safety codes when it's a home church. If the building becomes a giant fireball and cooks everyone, it obviously means the folks were sinners.:wah::wah:

Or God was calling them home. Remember the drama Oral Roberts tried to create a few years ago by locking himself up in his luxury tower and stating that unless he raised lots of money "God is going to call me home."?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
yaaarrrgg

Post by yaaarrrgg »

Ahso!;1399451 wrote: :wah::wah:

Or God was calling them home. Remember the drama Oral Roberts tried to create a few years ago by locking himself up in his luxury tower and stating that unless he raised lots of money "God is going to call me home."?

Ah, true. I'm surprised Oral didn't like the idea, since his heavenly home was going to be even more luxurious. :)
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

You know laws are burdensome when even God is prevented from having his own version of an old fashion Weenie Roast here on earth should He desire one. Is God's fetish with fire restricted to the afterlife, the Sun and an occasional accident?

Profound questions for fundamentalist Christians that should keep them busy for a while.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

yaaarrrgg;1399448 wrote: Yeah, they shouldn't worry about safety codes when it's a home church. If the building becomes a giant fireball and cooks everyone, it obviously means the folks were sinners.

:yh_rotfl
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

spot;1399438 wrote: What an astoundingly misleading article. What's Fox News for?

Despite What FOX News Tells You, Michael Salman Is Not Going to Jail for Hosting a Bible Study

FAUX News is for rabble rousing the mindless masses and it does a very good job.
spot

Post by spot »

SnoozeAgain;1399465 wrote: FAUX News is for rabble rousing the mindless masses and it does a very good job.

On the other hand I'm all in favor of generating a hysterical fundamentalist backlash. Maybe if there's still a 19th century Arizona ordinance in the law code which enables a judicial crucifixion it could be brought out and dusted off. There's nothing quite like unbelievers creating yet another martyr when it comes to triggering a religious revival - look at Afghanistan these days, for example.

This plonker has 145 chairs in one room and claims what regularly goes on there qualifies as a home bible study meeting? I'd not release him back into the community until he'd at least apologized on oath before a judge for abusing the English language.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “Bizarre News Stories”