Dame Mary Page

Fact is stranger than fiction.
Bryn Mawr

Dame Mary Page

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Whilst walking through the non-conformist cemetery of Bunhill Fields in central London this lunchtime I came across an unusual inscription on an early eighteenth century grave :-

In 67 months she was tapped 66 times … 240 gallons of water drawn without ever repining at her case or ever fearing the operation

A strange case, apparently Meigs' syndrome
Bryn Mawr

Dame Mary Page

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Another grave from the same period tickled me. The left hand side had the epitaph of an old gentleman, the right was for his wife who died thirty years earlier. After her epitaph was a poem that started "Sinners prepare to meet thy Judge" - most unfair I thought.
spot

Dame Mary Page

Post by spot »

Isn't William Blake in there?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Dame Mary Page

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1386985 wrote: Isn't William Blake in there?

Yes - and John Bunyan.

A couple of Hymnologists too although I forget the names (Issac ... and John ... but, beyond that, senility is creeping in).
koan

Dame Mary Page

Post by koan »

A strange epitaph, indeed. Kind of makes me want to go for more strolls through the graveyards.
tabby

Dame Mary Page

Post by tabby »

Bryn Mawr;1386983 wrote: Whilst walking through the non-conformist cemetery of Bunhill Fields in central London this lunchtime I came across an unusual inscription on an early eighteenth century grave :-

[/URL]

What does non-conformist mean in this context?
fuzzywuzzy

Dame Mary Page

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I love cemetaries I used to take the kids with me to walk through them so they could learn a little about history . Great way of doing it .

I came across a grave stone that read "such n such lost at sea on his way to football"............ I was like WHAT? So I looked it up and indeed people would travel by sea around the coast to melbourne because it was quicker than over land. I thought that was interesting.

I like spike milligans headstone though ..."I told you I was sick" lol lol lol
Bryn Mawr

Dame Mary Page

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tabby;1387063 wrote: What does non-conformist mean in this context?

Not belonging to one of the denominations that were generally accepted at the time - very often it would be the Quakers.
Bryn Mawr

Dame Mary Page

Post by Bryn Mawr »

fuzzywuzzy;1387102 wrote: I love cemetaries I used to take the kids with me to walk through them so they could learn a little about history . Great way of doing it .

I came across a grave stone that read "such n such lost at sea on his way to football"............ I was like WHAT? So I looked it up and indeed people would travel by sea around the coast to melbourne because it was quicker than over land. I thought that was interesting.

I like spike milligans headstone though ..."I told you I was sick" lol lol lol

I was preparing myself for the likes of :-

Here lies the body of Ezra Pound,

Lost at sea and never was found
Bruv

Dame Mary Page

Post by Bruv »

I was a Postman in the City many many many years ago.

My immediate reaction to Bunhill Fields was Bunhill Row = Chiswell street.

Funny how long trivial information lingers in your head.

Chiswell Street would I think have been the Delivery/Walk that delivered to Bunhill Row......but I could be wrong after so many years.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Bryn Mawr

Dame Mary Page

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1387134 wrote: I was a Postman in the City many many many years ago.

My immediate reaction to Bunhill Fields was Bunhill Row = Chiswell street.

Funny how long trivial information lingers in your head.

Chiswell Street would I think have been the Delivery/Walk that delivered to Bunhill Row......but I could be wrong after so many years.

My first reaction to a new round was always "are they flats" quickly followed by "how many floors" :wah:

Interesting derivation for Bunhill Fields - it was the area outside the city where they dumped the bones from St Paul's churchyard when they redeveloped it ¿after the fire? and, after several thousand cartloads, significantly raised the level above the surrounding marshland, hence Bone Hill Fields.
YZGI

Dame Mary Page

Post by YZGI »

Tombstone Arizona Headstone:

Here lies lester Moore

four slugs from a .44

No Les no moore
spot

Dame Mary Page

Post by spot »

Good lord... it's so, spelling errors excepted.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
fuzzywuzzy

Dame Mary Page

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

OMG!!! Bruv was a 'postie'!!! that's so cool.
Bruv

Dame Mary Page

Post by Bruv »

fuzzywuzzy;1387371 wrote: OMG!!! Bruv was a 'postie'!!! that's so cool.

Cool ?

Yeah that's me, one cool dude.

I shall have to start a thread about what jobs everybody has done, then you would see how cool I really am.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
YZGI

Dame Mary Page

Post by YZGI »

spot;1387295 wrote: Good lord... it's so, spelling errors excepted.

No, in the old west spelling errors were expected not excepted.

Return to “Bizarre News Stories”