You couldn't make it up

Fact is stranger than fiction.
Bruv

You couldn't make it up

Post by Bruv »

A retired businessman today won more than £20,000 damages from police who smashed his car windows for driving without a seatbelt.

Grandfather Robert Whatley, 73, was pulled over in his Range Rover in 2009 and expected the officer to gently knock on his window.

But one policeman hit the glass 15 times with his baton - while another climbed onto the bonnet to kick in the windscreen of the £60,000 car.

I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Oscar Namechange

You couldn't make it up

Post by Oscar Namechange »

The truth of this article was that he refused to pull over when the officer Indicated for him to do so from the squad car.

I read about this about a year ago In the Mail.

He didn't just refuse to pullover once but he Ignored the signals on many occasions.

The law Is the law I'm afraid. They Indicate for you to pull over, you pull over.....
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bruv

You couldn't make it up

Post by Bruv »

Did you watch the video ?

A stationary vehicle's drivers window is smashed with a baton, while another officer leaps onto the bonnet.

The Law is the law, but come on now.........
Bruv

You couldn't make it up

Post by Bruv »

The Link again
Oscar Namechange

You couldn't make it up

Bruv;1383369 wrote: The Link again

Former property developer Mr Whatley was arrested at the scene, charged with driving without a seatbelt and failing to stop for police. He was found guilty and fined a total of £235.

When the story first hit the news, they reported following his conviction. The Police signalled many times for him to pull over. He was convicted for refusing to pull over.

I was stopped for no seat belt recently and I was let off with a bollicking from a traffic cop but then as soon as I saw the officer signal to me, I acknowledged his signal and I Immediately pulled over.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bruv

You couldn't make it up

Post by Bruv »

Just watch the events unfold according to the Police's own video and then say if you think it might have been handled better.

Remember he got a £235 fine followed by £20,000 damages
Oscar Namechange

You couldn't make it up

Bruv;1383373 wrote: Just watch the events unfold according to the Police's own video and then say if you think it might have been handled better.

Remember he got a £235 fine followed by £20,000 damages

Yes, but the video does not show the fact that the squad car had ( If my memory serves me correctly ) to chase him at 60 mph for 3 miles because he refused to pull over. For that he was convicted and fined, quite rightly but the £20,000 damages was for excessive use of force. He was doing 60 down a country lane... what If he took a bend Into a group of children ? The police had a right to force him Into pulling over.

If the old git had pulled over as we all have to do weather we like It or not, he may have got the same result as me... no fine just a verbal bollicking
Snooz

You couldn't make it up

Post by Snooz »

LOL, that's one of the most ridiculous things I've seen recently. He was going the freaking speed limit, he's obviously elderly and most likely a little bit confused and those cops were really whaling away on his car. Their behavior was completely unwarranted.
Scrat

You couldn't make it up

Post by Scrat »

Did you watch the video ?

A stationary vehicle's drivers window is smashed with a baton, while another officer leaps onto the bonnet.

The Law is the law, but come on now.........

Oh please. The guy ran from the cops, he risked the lives of other people on the road to boot. They should have confiscated the vehicle and caned him right on the spot. The law is the law.
Bruv

You couldn't make it up

Post by Bruv »

I am glad I inhabit my world and not the one some of you lot do.

I reckon a stationary vehicle doesn't require a policeman to smash through the laminated glass side window. or another to leap onto the bonnet while kicking the windscreen in, to prove they are the good guys.

When they do that sort of thing, they have crossed the line and are the bad guys.

What next, beating bad parkers and thrashing jay walkers ?
YZGI

You couldn't make it up

Post by YZGI »

He was clearly a confused older gentlman. For crying out loud he was driving on the wrong side of the road..

Return to “Bizarre News Stories”