here we go round the 25 (again!!!) the AA grumpy column

Fact is stranger than fiction.
the grumps

Post by the grumps »

hello

and welcome along to another wacky wednesday AA grumpy column

wacky is the word today as this little story i found in that daily paper you use in the lavatory when the andrex runs out.

( andrex grumps i can only afford tesco value ED)

A PENSIONER is believed to have spent TWO days and TWO nights driving on the M25 motorway after getting lost on his way to his daughter's house.

The 82-year-old man was eventually found still at the wheel of his Vauxhall Estate after being spotted by Metropolitan Police officers.

Disorientated Dennis Leighton spent two days trying to find his way to his daughter's house which was only 55 miles from his home in Windsor, Berks, while his worried family reported him missing to police.

It is thought that he set off on the hour-long journey to Swanley, Kent, but ended up going around in circles.

Police in Thames Valley asked colleagues in neighbouring forces to keep an eye out for the pensioner after he vanished on Monday December 12 at 7.30pm.

Mr Leighton's car was spotted on a police automatic number plate recognition camera in Dartford, Kent, yesterday at 11.20am - six miles from his intended destination.

But he was not spotted again - sparking a multi-force missing person appeal.

However, in the early hours of this morning - more than 30 HOURS after leaving home - he was found by Met Police officers safe and well in his car in South London.

A Thames Valley Police spokesman said: "He got a little bit lost but was found safe and well in the early hours of this morning."

He was believed to have been reunited with his daughter in Swanley.

Sergeant Sarah Godsmark said during the missing person appeal: "We are concerned for Mr Leighton's welfare as he is elderly and is about to spend his second night away from his home.

"He has made this journey several times before and knows the route well."

Last December a grandad who took his wife to an airport during travel chaos got lost on his way back and spent THREE DAYS trying to drive home.

Mohammed Bellazrak, 72, drove nearly 2,000 miles to do a 120-mile round trip. The 66-hour ordeal should only have taken a couple of hours.

He set off down the M4 for Heathrow shortly before Christmas but went to Gatwick, when wife Latifa's departure was switched to the Surrey airport.

He then did not arrive home which sparked a police search.

His nightmare ended at 2pm, Christmas Day, when he triggered a camera in Oxford and cops flagged him down

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... -days.html

AAG

now i,ve driven the m25 london orbital car park many times on my way to dover but i,ve never managed to go right the way round it.

what are these silly old duffers still doing on the road at 72 and 82 respectivly and on a busy motorway too.

at that age they are a menace to all other road users and a danger to themselves isnt it time that these gereatric drivers who drive down motorways at 40 mph and yes this is true because i nearly ran in to the back of one on the M1 last year.

he must have had to stop for fuel and a tiddle at some point so why not ask directions because surely when you see the slip road you came on at the penny must have dropped.

time these old boys traded in their bangers for a bus pass :yh_rotfl
gmc

Post by gmc »

When I lived in London not long after the M25 opened I confess I did actually go the wrong way round it, It is a circular road and if you get on on the wrong side your destination is signposted. I only realised my mistake later. Story sounds a bit dubious though, two days and two night??

posted by aa grumpy

at that age they are a menace to all other road users and a danger to themselves isnt it time that these gereatric drivers who drive down motorways at 40 mph and yes this is true because i nearly ran in to the back of one on the M1 last year.

So you didn't see a slow moving car on a motorway Were you tired or something, on the phone, just not paying attention enough not to notice a car in front of you in time to avoid almost running in to the back of them? Are you senile or just a lousy driver?:-2
the grumps

Post by the grumps »

no mate i was doing 56mph on the inside lane with 2 other lanes of traffic and nowhere to go and bore down on this bumbling old fool doing 40 in front of me.

i never drink drive use my mobile when driving or drive tired this old fart caused other drivers also to take evasive action.

i used to work on the buses so i am a pretty good driver with a bus drivers sense of road safety i also worked as a driver driving abroad hence the trips down to cheriton for the tunnel or dover.

not every one is an imbecile on the road as you would believe.
gmc

Post by gmc »

the grumps;1378623 wrote: no mate i was doing 56mph on the inside lane with 2 other lanes of traffic and nowhere to go and bore down on this bumbling old fool doing 40 in front of me.

i never drink drive use my mobile when driving or drive tired this old fart caused other drivers also to take evasive action.

i used to work on the buses so i am a pretty good driver with a bus drivers sense of road safety i also worked as a driver driving abroad hence the trips down to cheriton for the tunnel or dover.

not every one is an imbecile on the road as you would believe.

So why were you not anticipating and moving out matching your speed with the passing traffic in order to do so? On a three lane motorway as slow moving car in the inside lane s not that big a problem, it's not what other drivers do that is the problem it's your reaction to it. I have had near misses with old farts - usually on roundabout where some of them seem oblivious to which lane they should be in and seem think other cars are not really there. I've had even more with 4X4 drivers on the wrong side of the road and inexperienced younger drivers losing it on the bend as well and BMW drivers that think they own the road. OK so I have my hate list as well.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

the grumps;1378623 wrote:

i used to work on the buses

Jack or Stan ?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Return to “Bizarre News Stories”