Scholl Gun laws a bit overboard?

Fact is stranger than fiction.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Johnson: It has come to this: Kid arrested for playing with toy gun - The Denver Post

Eight year old kid arrested for playing with a broken toy after school

This happened just before I arrived at my new home town.

I am thinking I may want to go back to the Ozarks where folks have a little common sense.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Really playing with a broken toy gun after school ridiculous. I agree head to the high school and look for real guns.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Yeah, at first, the word was he had taken a BB gun to class.

The the whole story came out.

It was some sort of nerf air gun, and it was also broke.

And it was after school hours.

The school folks never even saw him on school grounds with the thing, they just heard about it, and called the cops.

I can't help but wonder how many lawyers have dropped their business cards at the mom's door.
- DH Lawrence
Scrat

Post by Scrat »

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Mesquite Police Department

To Serve and Protect

[sigh]
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Post by gmc »

The incident happened at Kimbrough Middle School in Mesquite, Texas, and reports suggest that the police became involved because the animal was behaving erratically, which can be a sign of rabies.

I don't know how big a problem rabies is in that part of the states but if it had been rabied what would you expect him to do?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

gmc;1357807 wrote: I don't know how big a problem rabies is in that part of the states but if it had been rabied what would you expect him to do?

Good question, and why was it not taken by animal control official for observation after it was "subdued" by the officer?

Animal control should have been the responder for "animal behaving erratically(whatever that means)" rather than a patrol officer.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

These and a few other incidents seem to be evidence of an overall lack of common sense among school authorities and law enforcement personnel in many communities across the country.

How secure are you with you community authorities, these days?
- DH Lawrence
Scrat

Post by Scrat »

On the squirrel incident. It was the best course of action available to all parties concerned when you think about it. If he squirrel had bitten a kid we all know the irate parents would probably sue the school for big dollars due to negligence. They would also have to murder the squirrel to have it tested for rabies. The squirrel benefits in a learning experience that says bad things happen around humans, it's best to stay away from them. The kids hopefully learned something along the same lines.

These stories can tell you a lot about the state of our society. Paranoid, litigious and in ways downright bizarre. I think this is the theme we should look at. Kudos to the officer, he did a great job.
ButterflyPrincess

Post by ButterflyPrincess »

There HAVE been guns found in childrens backpacks out here and a few other states. These are Elementary age kids. One of the kids even opened fire in the gym. :( I don't think it's too strict for any level of school. We need to do something to keep the kids safe.. even if it is arrest someone who is playing with a fake gun.

I will admit that the boy getting arrested for playing with a BROKEN gun is crazy.. but a non- broken one.. i think he should be in trouble.
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

Oh, SCHOOL gun laws!

I thought employess of the FOOT CARE firm were claiming that their second amend...

Never mind.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

ButterflyPrincess;1357875 wrote: There HAVE been guns found in childrens backpacks out here and a few other states. These are Elementary age kids. One of the kids even opened fire in the gym. :( I don't think it's too strict for any level of school. We need to do something to keep the kids safe.. even if it is arrest someone who is playing with a fake gun.

I will admit that the boy getting arrested for playing with a BROKEN gun is crazy.. but a non- broken one.. i think he should be in trouble.

Well, it was an obvious toy gun, broken, and after school hours.

He wasn't even caught on school grounds with the thing. Someone told a teacher the next day.
- DH Lawrence
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

And more information to not play with guns, to students above the elementary grades. It was with shock and horror when I went into work at school yesteday, to find another student had died-due to finding an adult's gun at home and kids playing with it. The adult's denial of any wrong doing from news report was appaling-and the fact is, the child is dead. And he was such a good kid....................:-1
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

The: "YOU CAN HAVE MY GUN WHEN YOU PRY MY COLD DEAD HANDS FROM IT" should read: "YOU CAN HAVE MY GUN WHEN YOU PRY MY CHILD'S SMALL COLD DEAD HANDS FROM IT"

Oh well, I guess that's the price we pay for that authentic American freedom, huh. It's a "small" sacrifice for gun ownership anyway?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Ahso!;1362362 wrote: The: "YOU CAN HAVE MY GUN WHEN YOU PRY MY COLD DEAD HANDS FROM IT" should read: "YOU CAN HAVE MY GUN WHEN YOU PRY MY CHILD'S SMALL COLD DEAD HANDS FROM IT"

Oh well, I guess that's the price we pay for that authentic American freedom, huh. It's a "small" sacrifice for gun ownership anyway?

I know Ahso, it is just a horrible attitude, and that reflexive (I perceive) response from the gun owner was shocking.

I have always debated the meaning of the Second Ammendment.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

With the capitalized People meaning the state militia, not individual gun ownership.

It always remains a debatable issue, but irresponsible ownership of guns and things like this, should be the issue.

I do not think the gun owner had any charges against him filed, I really did not read more of the article when they showed it to me yesterday, I was too sad that the young one had died. My school is located in an urban center, and there is usually a death of a student about every two years or so. There has been a higher death rate lately, or deaths directly influencing them. It is becoming almost a yearly thing lately-some due to gang warfare/shifting of boundaries. The gang shoot out on Halloween last year, the one killed in my student's backyard, half my homeroom saw it. It was a dramatic ordeal for them, and for us to give them helpful and kind responses the next day, they had to tell it all to release it from their internal stress. And we listened, and we try to help them, and yet they are still only 11 or 12 years old. And life should not be this way for them. (my rant of the day)
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

While I stand by my right to own guns, I also stand on the idea that rights have responsibility. Any gun owner who leaves the things laying around for children to play with should be held responsible for whatever mayhem results.

There is no excuse for such a thing.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Why do you own guns?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1362406 wrote: Why do you own guns?

Sport, and collecting, mostly.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Bizarre News Stories”