Wing Falls Off Plane - Pilot Walks Away

Fact is stranger than fiction.
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

(Aug. 18) -- A video captured the terrifying moment when a daredevil pilot nearly lost his life after a wing snapped off his plane during a mid-air maneuver. Filmed by a spectator at an air show in Santa Fe, Argentina, this weekend, the film shows several thousand spectators gasp in horror as the plane hurtles toward the ground.

Luckily, Argentine pilot Dino Moline, 22, managed to activate the plane's ballistic parachute, allowing the crippled machine to float gently to earth. And miraculously, Moline walked away from the wrecked RANS S-9 Chaos plane unaided and only slightly injured, according to Argentine news site SF Noticias.

"I don't know what happened. I think it was fatigue," he told the site. "I felt an explosion and saw a shadow passing to the side of me -- it was the wing." He added that he'd burned his foot, but was otherwise unharmed. Cesar Faristocco, the head of Moline's aero display team, said that this sort of accident was "very rare" and only "happens once every 10 years across the world."

The RANS S-9 Chaos is an American-made kit plane that can be bought for $10,900, without an engine. And to the amusement of many YouTube commenters, the company's website notes that the plane comes with "removable wings" as standard equipment.

Stunt Pilot Dino Moline Survives After Plane Loses Wing at Argentina Air Show
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

I remember seeing that on the news here yesterday.

Return to “Bizarre News Stories”