Doctor Saves 25-Year-Old by Freezing His Skull

Fact is stranger than fiction.
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Freezing Man’s Skull Saves his Life

After 25-year-old Kyle Johnson suffered a horrific longboard accident, his brain swelled so badly that doctors in Ogden, Utah had to remove parts of his skull in a procedure called a bilateral decompressive craniectomy to relieve the pressure.“Most neurosurgeons do a decompressive craniectomy on one side of the head, where the trauma was,” Welling said. “In this case, Kyle had such a global brain injury that we needed to take both sides of his head off, and you just leave a small strip of bone right down the middle.”

After Welling and his team removed Johnson’s fractured skull, they put it back together with micro-screws and plates. And then – they put it in the freezer.

Three weeks later, when the swelling went down, they thawed the skull fragments and replaced them in Johnson’s head. He regained consciousness after another week and is recovering.

Doctor Saves 25-Year-Old by Freezing His Skull - Incredible Health - FOXNews.com
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Wow, that is amazing.
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

chonsigirl;1328462 wrote: Wow, that is amazing.

It is, isn't it. Did you click on the link and see his photograph?

It's truly amazing that the doctors can do this and that he survived and is recovering. Wow!
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

An incredibly lucky guy.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I was afraid to click the link, I saw the MRI of my husband's injury and you never forget. I am glad it worked well on him, he is young.
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

chonsigirl;1328471 wrote: I was afraid to click the link, I saw the MRI of my husband's injury and you never forget. I am glad it worked well on him, he is young.

I was going to copy and paste the photo for you but then I thought that's not fair on you if you don't wish to see it.

It's not a ghastly photo, there's no blood or gore etc, it just shows the shape of this mans head after his op. It's quite intriguing really. However, I'm sorry it made you think of your husbands MRI, I had no wish to rehash painful memories for you. :(
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Nomad's brain was frozen In 1967. All attempts to de-frost failed.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Return to “Bizarre News Stories”