British supermarket bans shopping in pajamas

Fact is stranger than fiction.
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

With more and more men and women wearing sweatpants, gym clothes, and pajamas outside of the home, we began to wonder if people were becoming too lazy for real clothes. Well, UK supermarket chain Tesco is cracking down on the sloppy attire and now banning "nightwear" from their stores. Their Wales location posted these signs at the entrance:

"To avoid causing embarrassment to others we ask that our customers are appropriately dressed when visiting our store (footwear must be worn at all times and no nightwear is permitted)."

Question from article: Where do you stand on PJs in public? Do you go out in your jammies, or do you think it's inappropriate?

Link: British supermarket bans shopping in pajamas - Fashion + Beauty on Shine
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I don't put pajamas in the same category as gym clothes or sweat suits. Folks do jog outside and thus wear sweat suits or the like outdoors.

Pajamas are suppsed to be worn indoors after you get ready for bed. Indoors.....in the privacy of your home.

At the company I work for, I in-process newhires. I've seen a few come in with bedroom slippers on. Not appropriate. JMO
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

I'll drink to the ban. In the apartment building I live in, the management had to post rules about wearing proper dress when coming to the lobby or lunch room. Seeing 70-80 year olds in their nighties or underwear in the lunch room was probably good for one's diet though. Who could eat after seeing that?:(
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I never understood why wearing pajamas outside the home was seen as cool, it looks pretty tacky to me. I've seen teens and adults both wear them, I do not think they realize how silly they look.

Anyone who would interview in bedroom slippers should be given a book on Job Looking Etiquette.....:rolleyes:
Peg

Post by Peg »

along-for-the-ride;1287077 wrote:

At the company I work for, I in-process newhires. I've seen a few come in with bedroom slippers on. Not appropriate. JMO

I wear only slippers and flipflops. People stare but I can't wear shoes because arthritis has deformed my feet so bad.

As for wearing pajamas to stores, I wouldn't do it, but I'd rather see pajamas than some of the skimpy outfits I've seen.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Jazzy;1287072 wrote: With more and more men and women wearing sweatpants, gym clothes, and pajamas outside of the home, we began to wonder if people were becoming too lazy for real clothes. Well, UK supermarket chain Tesco is cracking down on the sloppy attire and now banning "nightwear" from their stores. Their Wales location posted these signs at the entrance:

"To avoid causing embarrassment to others we ask that our customers are appropriately dressed when visiting our store (footwear must be worn at all times and no nightwear is permitted)."

Question from article: Where do you stand on PJs in public? Do you go out in your jammies, or do you think it's inappropriate?

Link: British supermarket bans shopping in pajamas - Fashion + Beauty on Shine

Sweatpants and gym clothes are fine.

but PJ's?

highly inappropriate, their just to lazy to change.:lips:

and what about men who go shirtless?

that's the last thing I want to see.:rolleyes:
Life is just to short for drama.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Ive never seen anybody wearing pyjama's in Tesco and ive been shopping there once a week for over 20 years. :-2
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Oh double drat !!!!! I shall miss skipping round Tesco in me PJs and slippers, you know there are some really miserable sods around, spoiling folks' fun like that ! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

I guess you'd have to define pajamas - there's a very wide variety of sleepwear around, including in the altogether. And it's fashionable to wear what looks to me like underwear as street clothes anyway.

I do remember once having to head into work to fix a website at 2am. It was winter. I put an overcoat over my nightie and don't think the security people really even noticed.

:-6
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

buttercup;1287150 wrote: Ive never seen anybody wearing pyjama's in Tesco and ive been shopping there once a week for over 20 years. :-2

That's because you are up in Scotland, and I'm in Nottinghamshire, England ! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I think the objection should be if they shop naked not if they have clothing on. Who cares if its PJ's and slippers they are dressed.

Don't move to California we are the least dressed people on the planet for the most part. :-6:wah:
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Ah, but you are dressed that way Carla for a reason, in the summertime. I still dress that way here, none of the other older woman do.:wah:
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Cynical me thinks it got Tesco's nationwide news coverage......and the manager probably got a bonus......but I could be wrong.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

buttercup;1287150 wrote: Ive never seen anybody wearing pyjama's in Tesco and ive been shopping there once a week for over 20 years. :-2
If this thread was here last year, I would have totally agreed with you BC because I had never seen any-on In PJ's In Tesco or any other store, yet I did witness this last summer.

I was coming out of our very small Tesco Express In the village and noticed a car park In a spot right outside. I was astonished when the woman got out wearing not only her PJ's but her dingy old housecoat. On her feet were grimey old trainers, her hair obviousley un-combed. I was stunned that she walked Into Tesco like that leaving 2 equally grimey kids in the car and then she bought a pint of milk, got back In the car and left. No, It was not 7 am... It was 3 in the afternoon.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
theia

Post by theia »

Bruv;1287174 wrote: Cynical me thinks it got Tesco's nationwide news coverage......and the manager probably got a bonus......but I could be wrong.

I think you may be right, Bruv
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

As for those who shop at Tesco's in brown cardies and woolly hats... well... words fail me.

:lips:

theia

Post by theia »

AussiePam;1287277 wrote: As for those who shop at Tesco's in brown cardies and woolly hats... well... words fail me.

:lips:

Well, Pammie, I have had a formal warning...not from Tesco because I rarely shop there, but from Asda and Sainsburys. M and S have, very wisely, refrained from saying anything...they are looking towards the big profits they will make from me over the coming months :-6
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

theia;1287281 wrote: Well, Pammie, I have had a formal warning...not from Tesco because I rarely shop there, but from Asda and Sainsburys. M and S have, very wisely, refrained from saying anything...they are looking towards the big profits they will make from me over the coming months :-6

Actually I heard that Harrods have decided that all ladies wearing brown cardies and wooolllly hats will not only be allowed in, but will receive the red carpet treatment in all departments, together with a complimentary cup of tea and a cucumber sandwich!! Of course, this might be disinformation.

theia

Post by theia »

AussiePam;1287289 wrote: Actually I heard that Harrods have decided that all ladies wearing brown cardies and wooolllly hats will not only be allowed in, but will receive the red carpet treatment in all departments, together with a complimentary cup of tea and a cucumber sandwich!! Of course, this might be disinformation.

Pammie, I can't help it, but I've always been a trendsetter...it's in my blood. It's just who I am.
Odie

Post by Odie »

G#Gill;1287153 wrote: Oh double drat !!!!! I shall miss skipping round Tesco in me PJs and slippers, you know there are some really miserable sods around, spoiling folks' fun like that ! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

what colour are your slippers?:wah:
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

theia;1287294 wrote: Pammie, I can't help it, but I've always been a trendsetter...it's in my blood. It's just who I am.

Begging your pardon ma'am, do you even own the brown cardi yet? Who is the trend setter here? :wah::p

Speaking of PJ's, daughter has just informed me she needs to wear her pyjama's to school on friday :confused:
minks

Post by minks »

Well I would rather see PJ's over Spandex on some body shapes :yh_rotfl
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

This is the message I pick up from those who drop their kids to school in their PJ’s:

‘I am so lazy that I can’t be bothered me ars even putting on a few cloths before heading out of the house, I’ll drop my kids to school because I have to, but then need to get back home in time for the morning talk shows’.
theia

Post by theia »

Betty Boop;1287356 wrote: Begging your pardon ma'am, do you even own the brown cardi yet? Who is the trend setter here? :wah::p

Speaking of PJ's, daughter has just informed me she needs to wear her pyjama's to school on friday :confused:

Not yet, Betty :sneaky: But I will....I only need to hint at the way I might dress and the world looks to me in wonder :)

How is your lovely little girl?
Odie

Post by Odie »

minks;1287359 wrote: Well I would rather see PJ's over Spandex on some body shapes :yh_rotfl

or showing skin when someone is fat is soooooooooo unappealing!:yh_rotfl
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

theia;1287366 wrote: Not yet, Betty :sneaky: But I will....I only need to hint at the way I might dress and the world looks to me in wonder :)

How is your lovely little girl?

She is delightful in small doses, a mini me, stubborn, single minded, I'll stop there, it's depressing to realise how much like me she is :wah:
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

chonsigirl;1287083 wrote: I never understood why wearing pajamas outside the home was seen as cool, it looks pretty tacky to me. I've seen teens and adults both wear them, I do not think they realize how silly they look.

Anyone who would interview in bedroom slippers should be given a book on Job Looking Etiquette.....:rolleyes:

Me too. C'mon... let's have some self-respect and dignity. There are things that we need to do just because it's good for everyone and one of those things is uphold a certain dress code for ourselves.:thinking:
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Betty Boop;1287356 wrote:

It's probably "Spirit Week" where each day is a certain kind of dress. Hat Day, Military Day, Hippie Day, etc.

The kids usually stick in some weird day so they can wear what is usually forbidden in a kind of "stick it to the man" rebellious way. We just give it a wink like we don't know what's really going on. Pajama day has been especially popular in past years.:rolleyes:
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Saint_;1287398 wrote: Me too. C'mon... let's have some self-respect and dignity. There are things that we need to do just because it's good for everyone and one of those things is uphold a certain dress code for ourselves.:thinking:

I can't quite see you in a dress, Saint, let alone pajamas. I mean, such a visual would be kind of unseemly. :sneaky:

By the way, I'm typing this, sitting in purple satin shortie pjs.... grin.

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Is that Odie, Aussie Pam and Carla, ready for their shopping trip to the supermarket?

:yh_rotfl

:yh_sungla:yh_ooooo:yh_whistl:yh_devil
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

G#Gill;1287604 wrote: Is that Odie, Aussie Pam and Carla, ready for their shopping trip to the supermarket?

Odie

Post by Odie »

G#Gill;1287604 wrote: Is that Odie, Aussie Pam and Carla, ready for their shopping trip to the supermarket?

well, c'mon, lets go then!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

How come I'm the one with no cleavage???!!!

:sneaky:

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

AussiePam;1287680 wrote: How come I'm the one with no cleavage???!!!

:sneaky:

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl perhaps I should have said 'in no particular order' :yh_rotfl
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

OK, I accept that, Gilly.. But, PINK??? I mean, no way!!! I am not a pink person. I do not do pink*!!!

*... OK I do have some jarmies in red, pink and purple with Eeyore on them!!

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

AussiePam;1287734 wrote: OK, I accept that, Gilly.. But, PINK??? I mean, no way!!! I am not a pink person. I do not do pink*!!!

*... OK I do have some jarmies in red, pink and purple with Eeyore on them!!

That is very strange, so have I :yh_rotfl I've also got a set with 'Pooh Bear' on (he's face on, on the front, but on the back, he's got his back to you, so I've got Pooh behind - all down the back :yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl :lips: ).

As regards the pic, I couldn't find any purple shortie jammies, sorry! :p
Odie

Post by Odie »

Odie;1287655 wrote: well, c'mon, lets go then!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Gill, lets go, you hair is fine!:yh_rotfl
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

The pajama report helped sales so much another store has treid anther method of grabbing some headlines...

Christine Cuddihy, 24, was stunned when a checkout assistant refused to sell her the 51p piece of cheese and onion tart because “she looked under 21”.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Odie

Post by Odie »

Bruv;1287834 wrote: The pajama report helped sales so much another store has treid anther method of grabbing some headlines...

Christine Cuddihy, 24, was stunned when a checkout assistant refused to sell her the 51p piece of cheese and onion tart because “she looked under 21”.

damn right Tesco should apologize and more!:rolleyes:

Return to “Bizarre News Stories”