Visibility fail

Fact is stranger than fiction.
Rapunzel

Visibility fail

Post by Rapunzel »

Police are urging motorists to de-ice their cars after a pensioner was caught driving with her windscreen completely covered with snow.

Devon and Cornwall Police asked drivers to use common sense after a member of the public photographed the ''extreme example'' of someone who had not cleared their windscreen in Tiverton, Devon.

Police have used the image for a poster campaign to warn drivers of the dangers of not taking heed of safety advice issued during the cold snap.

The elderly woman, who is not being identified by the force, was driving along Lea Road on January 6 to pick up food and medication.

She was spoken to by officers who also provided her with an ice-scraper. They then spoke to her neighbours and asked them to look out for her in future.

Inspector Matt Lawler said: ''This is an extreme example, but shows how important it is for drivers to listen to the warnings and advice that police and other agencies are offering. I don't think we are asking a lot - just for some common sense to avoid unnecessary accidents.''

Woman who drove with snow-covered windscreen prompts police warning - Telegraph

Attached files
gmc

Visibility fail

Post by gmc »

When you get to a certain age-say seventy-I think there is a real case for annual testing to see if you are still fit to have a licence. It seems funny but she could have killed somebody.

Mind you I've seen people with just the bit with the wipers clear and they weren't OAP's.
Clodhopper

Visibility fail

Post by Clodhopper »

When you get to a certain age-say seventy-I think there is a real case for annual testing to see if you are still fit to have a licence. It seems funny but she could have killed somebody.

While I think I agree in principle, I'm very glad it hasn't happened yet. Before he died, my old Dad was gently losing his mind for a few years. About the only pleasure he had left was to drive three miles on back roads to the School he'd taught at and watch the 1st XI play cricket. I went with him a few times and we nearly ended in the ditch on several occasions. But he never did cause an accident, and he wouldn't drive on main roads.

I know the occasional accident is caused. But is it really enough to justify mass testing and disqualifications?
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
gmc

Visibility fail

Post by gmc »

Clodhopper;1282861 wrote: While I think I agree in principle, I'm very glad it hasn't happened yet. Before he died, my old Dad was gently losing his mind for a few years. About the only pleasure he had left was to drive three miles on back roads to the School he'd taught at and watch the 1st XI play cricket. I went with him a few times and we nearly ended in the ditch on several occasions. But he never did cause an accident, and he wouldn't drive on main roads.

I know the occasional accident is caused. But is it really enough to justify mass testing and disqualifications?

My little old mother had her licence until recently and I caused family ructions when I suggested she be persuaded to get rid of her car. One brother in particular it's her independence etc etc. he got the point when I asked if he would get in the car with her driving when she went down the shops. part of it is a reluctance to face up to the fact an aged relative is actually failing and becoming housebound.

That old lady could have mown down a pedestrian. She should have been charged with dangerous driving not just given a friendly warning. If that seems harsh because she is an old lady well If she is not capable of accepting responsibility for her actions then she shouldn't be driving.

helped one of my neighbours push his car out the snow last week-2.8litre BMW with bald tyres on it in-I was in two minds about walking away and leaving him to it. He has since got new tyres but I have no sympathy for anyone driving a car in that kind of condition-especially this kind of weather. I've been in an accident by an uninsured driver and it is not funny at all.
FUBAR

Visibility fail

Post by FUBAR »

I should imagine there are quite a few laws she was breaking driving her car in that condition. Lucky the police were in a good mood that day and not in a tax and revenue collecting one like they usually are now...
Clodhopper

Visibility fail

Post by Clodhopper »

gmc: Fair point. It just seems a terrible thing to do to someone, even if it is for their own and others' good. I do understand your brother's point of view.

But then you have to think how you and they would feel if they did kill someone through age-related incompetence....ugh.

And I wonder how many drivers under 70 would pass the test if they had to take it again tomorrow...?
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
gmc

Visibility fail

Post by gmc »

Clodhopper;1283294 wrote: gmc: Fair point. It just seems a terrible thing to do to someone, even if it is for their own and others' good. I do understand your brother's point of view.

But then you have to think how you and they would feel if they did kill someone through age-related incompetence....ugh.

And I wonder how many drivers under 70 would pass the test if they had to take it again tomorrow...?

I have an austrian nephew who has just past his initial test, as part of it he has to spend time on a skid pan learning how to control a car in a skid-both front and rear wheel drive cars. I suppose we don't get enough snow here to really make it essential but the skid pan idea is a good one. Here you can pass your test buy a car and find yourself on black ice the next week without a clue what to do.

Return to “Bizarre News Stories”