Dorset deer killers' sentence 'pathetic'

Fact is stranger than fiction.
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Two 17-year-old boys have been ordered to do 100 hours community service for stamping a young deer to death in Dorset "for a laugh".

The pair were found guilty at Poole Youth Court in December of killing the fawn in Upton Country Park in June.

The teenagers were cleared of beating a wild mammal with intent to inflict unnecessary suffering. A 16-year-old boy was cleared of both charges.

Animal campaigners outside the court called the sentence "pathetic".

The boys, who cannot be named for legal reasons, were also given a 12-month community rehabilitation orders and each told to pay £1,000, at £20 a week, to cover prosecution costs and vet bills.

About 25 campaigners chanted "shame on you" as the boys left court.

Among them was Jill Adelus, who said: "It's a pathetic sentence and we don't accept it.

"The judge isn't handing them the sentence they deserve.

"It's a green light to say it is okay to kill and torture animals."

Post-mortem tests showed the deer suffered multiple injuries.

Keith Arthurs was walking his dog when he saw the fawn stamped to death

The boys were "egging" each other on, with one swinging the deer by its leg and another karate chopping its head, before they "stomped" it to death, the court heard.

The 16-year-old boy, who was cleared of all charges, told police he only nudged the fawn once with his foot and did not laugh like the others.

The fawn, which was four to six weeks old, suffered several skull fractures, a severed spine and a fractured right leg.

District Judge Roger House said: "The penalty for this offence is such that there cannot be imprisonment in the youth court."

The deer's death attracted international interest when eyewitness Keith Arthurs, 52, who was walking his dog, saw it being attacked.

The court heard Mr Arthurs was so distressed by what he saw he no longer goes to the park.

One of the teenagers has lodged an appeal against his conviction which will be heard at a later date.

BBC News - Dorset deer killers' sentence 'pathetic'

Watch the video. That policeman is right!

Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

yuck.

I suppose I ought to say I think the sentence is about right. Apart from anything else it seems the local people aren't going to forget this in a hurry, which is liable to have more effect than a custodial sentence I would think.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Perhaps the parents should do some community service as well for not teaching decent values to their children.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Clodhopper;1282837 wrote: yuck.

I suppose I ought to say I think the sentence is about right. Apart from anything else it seems the local people aren't going to forget this in a hurry, which is liable to have more effect than a custodial sentence I would think.
Your the oracle of wisdom on sentencing also now are you?

It's pathetic. Maybe If the courts handed down custodial sentencing to Animal cruelty, the little Darlings may think twice. Especially if they happen to get banged up on the same wing as convicted animal rights activists.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I'm pretty good with apostrophes as well. A man of many talents. :p
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."

Return to “Bizarre News Stories”