Swiss court fines speeding millionaire $290,000

Fact is stranger than fiction.
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

ST. GALLEN, Switzerland – A Swiss court has slapped a wealthy speeder with a chalet-sized fine — a full $290,000.

Judges at the cantonal court in St. Gallen, in eastern Switzerland, based the record-breaking fine on the speeder's estimated wealth of over $20 million.

A statement on the court's Web site says the driver — a repeat offender — drove up to 35 miles an hour (57 kilometers an hour) faster than the 50-mile-an-hour (80-kilometer-an-hour) limit.

Court clerk Heidi Baumann-Becker said Thursday the unidentified driver can appeal the decision, handed down in November, to the Swiss supreme court.

The Blick daily newspaper in Zurich reported the fine was more than twice the previous Swiss record of about $107,000.

Story Link: Swiss court fines speeding millionaire $290,000 - Yahoo! News
spot

Post by spot »

How else can you stop people with that much wealth from speeding with impunity? Either the punishment has to be a jail term or it has to be a meaningful fine.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

sounds good to me. I wonder if its actually enough though.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Well, given that Swiss money is basically Nazi gold, African dictators' retirement funds, Mafia profits - in other words, dirty money made from the misery of others - who cares?
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."

Return to “Bizarre News Stories”