theocracy in america?

Fact is stranger than fiction.
gmc

theocracy in america?

Post by gmc »

In the UK religion is just not an issue in elections. candidates for christian parties lose their deposits. In scotland the issue very rapidly becomes sectarian so generally people keep religion to themselves if standing for office. In fact Tony Blair openly admits he kept quiet about his faith while in office because he knew the british public would react by becoming hostile-especially if he said god was guiding his decisions. On abortion it's sometimes an issue if catholic MP's try to change abortion laws but on the whole no one cares about what religion.

I find it incredible that in any modern western society something like this is actually an issue.

YouTube - richarddawkinsdotnet's Channel

I know it's only seven states out of 50 or so but are they really backward or something? What will happen when the pre-eminent religion is Catholicism which it must be in some states.
Snowfire

theocracy in america?

Post by Snowfire »

I'm astonished that there are people with such medieval bigotry, with powers of authority. As was stated in the video, the US constitution has precedence and supremacy over any state constitution but these bigots still want an elected representative removed from office on the grounds he is an Athiest.

Didnt George Bush senior say something along the lines of "Athiests cannot be considered true patriots of the USA and should not hold public office"...I'm paraphrasing
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
abbey

theocracy in america?

Post by abbey »

There has never been a Catholic PM in England, in fact Tony Blair converted to Catholicism when He stepped down.

Personally, I wouldn't give a toss what denomination the PM was, its their policies I vote for not their beliefs.
gmc

theocracy in america?

Post by gmc »

abbey;1273748 wrote: There has never been a Catholic PM in England, in fact Tony Blair converted to Catholicism when He stepped down.

Personally, I wouldn't give a toss what denomination the PM was, its their policies I vote for not their beliefs.

Not so much his Catholicism though that would probably have been a major issue with some-especially when it came to appointing Anglican bishops. but if he came out with god will guide me as to what to do- I pray for guidance daily or I believe there is a real conflict between militant islam and Christianity which must be fought (can't remember how he phrased it) how would you have felt about that? His faith led us to war-which it clearly did-and he kept quiet about it because he knew people would object -he's a hypocrite. Bit off topic though.

There are dozens of things about this issue in you tube-it seems a major issue in the states. I was just curious
gmc

theocracy in america?

Post by gmc »

Usually it's a bible thumper that starts threads about homosexuality or moans religion is not given proper respect. In the UK religion is a real non issue-yes we have our fundamentalists but they are generally ignored but if you want to depress yourself have a look at god TV which is UK based. There are dozens od things about thos on you tube, mainly american and a surprisinglylarge number are hate filled.

I stumbled across this and was curious to see what people thought. This is like the spanish inquisition american style. Not being american it doesn't concern me but why aren't most americans going ape **** at this kind of thing?
yaaarrrgg

theocracy in america?

Post by yaaarrrgg »

All I can figure is that all those years of southern states owning slaves had thrown a monkey wrench into natural selection. Has anyone seen the movie Deliverance? :)
Ahso!

theocracy in america?

Post by Ahso! »

yaaarrrgg;1273993 wrote: All I can figure is that all those years of southern states owning slaves had thrown a monkey wrench into natural selection. Has anyone seen the movie Deliverance? :)

:wah:
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Kathy Ellen

theocracy in america?

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Ahso!;1274040 wrote: :wah:

Oy vey....That movie was disturbing:wah:
AussiePam

theocracy in america?

Post by AussiePam »

yaaarrrgg;1273993 wrote: All I can figure is that all those years of southern states owning slaves had thrown a monkey wrench into natural selection. Has anyone seen the movie Deliverance? :)

Deliverance is one of my favourite movies.

YouTube - Deliverance - Banjo Duel
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Return to “Bizarre News Stories”